Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not again! Amp trouble

Cup

Here's the deal. Just over 1 year ago I bought an Ampeg SVT3 pro, I'd had a few low to mid priced amp but after the last one blew (it was over 30 years old) I decided to put my money into a top end model that would hopefully last a long time.

Enter the ampeg....the first one I got had to be sent back to the store in England after it died. The second brand new one was perfect for roughly six months...then I experienced a slight distorting noise, sort of like a mild trippy buzz. I sent it back to the shop, who fixed the problem for me under the Ampeg five year warranty. Although there was no breakdown of the work carried out on the amp, I was told it was a capictor problem.

The other night at rehearsal the amp "went" again. The same buzzy noise...I feel like burning the amp. It's just so annoying. Since I bought the amp from a store in England I have to return it there for rework. This costs me £27 on registered postage.

Has anyone else here had a recurring problem such as this one with a high "pro" amp. What should I do? I'm so pissed off at this I'm thinking of either demanding a brand new amp. I'm also thinking of asking for a credit note from the store so I can get another brand....But I don't want to, I really love the tone from the SVT3, it's the perfect amp for me. It's quite small, lightish, sounds perfect, really easy to operate, and I think I've found the amp that really suits the sound of my Ric.

I'm going to get in contact with the Citizens Advice Bureau before I contact the Music store as I want to be fully armed and aware of my consumer rights before I start making demands.

I'm so mad about this. Don't get me wrong, the people from the shop have been so good with my other problems, but this shouldn't happen to an amp that cost £1000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...A fed up Cup :confused:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap! That's like $1600. Unfortunately, I think your only recourse is to be a squeaky wheel. E.mail Ampeg, contact the dealer again, plead your case. They should (not that they will) consider it in their better interest to make you happy, so you stop bugging them. I have an older friend, a retired guy, that I ride with. He only rides the most high tech, light weight stuff and is constantly breaking it. Being retired, he has nothing better to do, until his bike is fixed, then to politely pester the manufacturer, until he is happy. It works.

Good luck, and I hope they see it your way.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

74 Pbass pestering the shop is exactly what I have in mind...But then I feel that I shouldn't have to be reduced to this as I'd hoped my days of equipment failing would cease when I bought this amp. I've searched the web on Ampeg reliability and I have found only good reports.

The only technical problem associated with the SVT3 is a slightly noisy cooler fan (which I've experienced myself, but doesn't bother me).

George, at the moment I'd happily swap my amp for anything that works!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I've been using a svt-lll for 3 years and it has been bulletproof at practice and gigs. It is the predecessor to the 3pro. Like a B2R with a 3-tube pre-amp. Seems louder than 350 watts into 4-ohms. You paid good money for this amp, remind them that customer satisfaction was a factor in your choice to buy ampeg and that folks on this forum are interested in how they service their customers.

as much as i love 'em, i have to admit ampegs can be squirrely. every now and then you get one that just doesn't wanna work right. i would suggest going to the music store and saying "ya know what, i love the amp but this one keeps crapping out on me. i want a different one because i can't afford to keep shipping this one to you every 6 months." if they say no contact ampeg. i'm sure they'd rather make you happy than turn you into someone who would recommend NOT buying their very expensive products.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Getz76 I searched that bottom line forum, it's very awkwardly laid out though, and lack of patience got me in the end. Thanks for the link though.

I think the best move from here is to phone the citizens advice people so I know my rights, I'll also find out who is responsible for shipping costs. The last time I paid it myself, I thought this was normal. For instance a couple of months ago I bought a gator flight case for the amp and shared the shipping costs with the store. And that was to get the goods TO me.

The whole thing is a pain in neck though. I hope this can be resolved a soon as possible.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Cup,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I agree that you shouldn't have to chase people to fix your problem, but too often this is the case. I'm not familiar with the consumer groups or government support that might be available to you, but I'd find out (even if you just use it to say that will be your "next step" if we can't resolve this).

I would also email Ampeg directly and explain the situation. Explain that a few more shippings for warranty work would be the same as buying a new amp now.

Bastid, the agreement probably says that warranty shipping is the owner's responsibility. It says that for a lot of items in the USA - it's just that you can sometimes nag them out of it.

Good Luck

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, I chatted with the folks at the Citizens Advice today, I was advised that I have every right to demand either my money back or get a credit note to the amount paid. When I suggested that I would probably go for a brand new model of the amp I have, the guy at the desk thought I was crazy!

This has got me doubting my decision, am I right in looking another SVT3? Surely the next one will be sound. I could be letting my emotions cloud my reason here...I love the sound of the amp (have I said that already?....yes, about 30 times) But a rational person would probably move on to another brand/model.

I then phoned the store, who, as ever were very helpful. They phoned their distributor (who also does all their warranty work) but as it was late in the day the distributor wasn't answering.

They promise to call me tomorrow. No mention was made of the outcome, though I stated I didn't want a repair job.

I missed out on some holiday overtime today to make all these calls, this whole business really pisses me off.

It never even occurred to me to email Ampeg, I'll try the retailer first. Then if I'm not 100% satisfied I'll talk to the makers. They of course don't want an angry customer with a big mouth, so hopefully I'll be sorted soon.

The real worrying thing about this is I'm doubting how I'm using the amp, it's my first valve/high priced amp, we play loud yes, but I'm not so utterly stupid to wreck three amps in one year...Am I? I've had amps that never give me a whimper of trouble before, these were all sold on (barr one 30 year old peavy) in the same condition as I'd bought them.

Thanks to all who've listened to my moaning.

Cup.

I don't want to say that the amp model that you have is bad. It's just that after two bad experiences, maybe you should put your money elsewhere. At least if something goes wrong, you don't have to question your decision...

Of course if they offer you a 3rd amp, you might as well take it.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Ya know...

Some of the best product lines create "lemons" from time to time. I think Cup might have one.

I've heard many, many great things about Ampeg bass rigs, I've heard a few horror stories about them as well. For the most part, they seem to have an excellent reputation.

One of our old bassists had an equally nice amp with a lot of troubles -- a Mesa-Boogie 400+. Not a cheapie by anyone's standards. However, this amp crapped out on him four times in the month that he owned it. He took it back to the salesman three times, and each time they repaired it and gave it back. The fourth time he just told them he wanted a new amp or his money back. Stupid store manager... they wouldn't give him a new amp, so he got his cash and walked. Now he's soured on the store and Mesa amps.

Those who chose to write up the SVT-III Pro at Harmony Cnetral are almost unanimous in their love for the amp. I think one reviewer in nine gave it a bad rating.

Sorry to hear about your amp, Cup. Hope the next one is better.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I think I'll stick with my initial decision and get a new SVT3. Funny enough I was thinking along the lines of Mesa Boogie if I were to change, but one more go...

CMDN, I too have read the reviews on Harmony Central, they are pretty impressive. Maybe some had a hangover the day they wired mine?!

Cheers for all the advice. I find out all tomorrow.

Cup.

WEll, I talked to the guy from the distributor (I don't know why, but the shop passed me on to them) And the good news is I getting a new head. The bad news is I've to wait a month. Seems that's the next time they get a shipment in. Must be a very slow boat!

They wanted to fix the amp, but I really didn't want to take this! The guy was kind enough and understood my frustration, I suppose a happy customer at a cost is better than an unhappy one.

Cheers for the advice.

Cup

I find it interesting that so many companies will respond to an intelligent discussion. It's always worth a try.

Sorry about the delay, but hopefully the third head is the last one.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Originally posted by CMDN:

Ya know...

Some of the best product lines create "lemons" from time to time.

this is exactly what i've heard about ampeg. fortunately, or not in this case, most of us own few of them in our lifetimes. this can lead to overwhelmingly positive experiences from guys who get good ones. it can also lead to "i spent HOW MUCH on this p.o.s?" i've never heard of ampeg blowing off a request of this nature so we know they know they can pump out a lemon and want to make sure everyones as happy as they can make them.

cup, good decision to stick it out. it's a fine amp and i think you'll be well rewarded for your patience.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived