Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G-K 1000 RB

ransom

I'm new to this board and thought this would be a good place to ask gear questions. Any opinions on the G-K 1000RB head? I've had little luck in finding anything on line about it. Found one locally for what seems to be a reasonable price ($500). I use two Hartke 4.5XL cabs and play everything from groove-based jazz to groove-based metal. I'm not very happy with my current amp (carvin R600).

thanks and peace,

ransom

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey ransom, welcome to the boards.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, but about a month ago I got a Carcin R600 2x10 combo. I find it completely amazing, unlike most amps I have ever played for twice the price I paid $500. What don't you like exactly about it? Thanks

allen

For what it's worth, I haven't played the 1000RB, but I've played everything else by GK. GK's amps all sound alike throughout the entire RB line of amps and it's phenominal. I use my 240 watt 400RB-III for everything from metal, to funk, to rock, and I could even do jazz if I could play that well. Sounds very nice with a 2x10 and 1x15 and even sweeter in a 6x10 configuration. Hope this helps.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

ok, the 1000 rb, i would be carefulk with- i was a GK endorser for years and i had trouble with the 2000 rb - they were pretty much unreliable- a LOT of them! if the 1000 ( the 500 watt version of the 2000) has the same issues- i would stay away-

now, the 1001 rb is a smoking head- that i would grab in a sec- hope that helps!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

Hey ransom, welcome to the boards.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, but about a month ago I got a Carvin R600 2x10 combo. I find it completely amazing, unlike most amps I have ever played for twice the price I paid $500. What don't you like exactly about it? Thanks

allen

Allen-

I too bought the Carvin 2x10 combo and really dug the power. The tones however were very bland to me (maybe I don't know how to work a proffesional eq section). I added a 1x15 for larger gigs and ran it both bi-amped and full range. After about two months the head started crackling and then would fade out completely. I sent it back to Carvin ($95 for the whole combo) and they said they found nothing wrong. When i got it back it worked but was voice differently somehow and not for the better. At the next rehearsal after about an hour I started smelling burning electronics and saw smoke coming from the back of the head. I sent it back again this time I sent only the head ($45). If only there were authorized service centers locally. After about six weeks I got it back. I hooked up the whole rig again and it lasted only five minutes. Again I paid to send it back to Carvin and after six more weeks they decided to send me a new one. I haven't had any problems with this one. I now run it through my Hartke 4.5 XL. I still don't like the overall tones I get and the noise gate is useless because it is too active. I don't think the compressor has ever worked so I run an outboard compressor. I do however like the channel switching and the foot switchable effects loop. It has plenty of power, although not as much as it should for 500 watts @ 8ohms. I will keep it as a back up but I will never buy another Carvin. I could chalk my experience up to needing idiot proof amps.

I have been using a friend's G-K 400RB and can't seem to find a bad sound so that is why I'm looking into G-K amps.

pray peace, all love and unity,

ransom

~Duke Ellington~

Timothy and Adrian-

Thanks for the replies I appreciate advise from peers.

Adrian-

I've been on your site before. I copped your line from "That's the Way". I hope you don't mind. You totally rock.

thanks.

peace,

ransom

~Duke Ellington~

Hey,

I have had the 700RB for about 6 months it is the same but less watts. I love it, I am using it for practice and gigs. I play sounds from accoustic pop, rock ballads to hard rock to grungy sounding stuff. I run a quad box and a 15 inch. The sound is amazing. I don't have GK speakers so I don't use the bi-amp thing. I can highly recomend it :thu:

From memory Edendude has one of the 1000 models. If you hang long enough he may check this post out and give you a reply. I haven't had any trouble with mine and I am recording with it atm and it also sounds good.

Providence over serendipity any day.

Ransom- thanks for the kind words- you can cop nything i play that you like because guess what?? i probably copped it from someone else!! :D

again- there is a difference between the 1000 rb and the 1001 rb- the 700 rb is a great amp as well- but the 1000 and 2000 you gotta be careful with!!

again , the 1001 rb is great as well-

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Hey, I endorse GK and I gotta tell you to wait a little while.

Winter NAMM in CA GK unveiled thier new line of GK stuff, more power and better prices. Redesigned for a cooler look and better electronics. Wait a little while and get the new stuff. bit the 1001 and 2001 and 700Rb are great. I have had my 700RB for about 2 years now and I can and do play everything from country to metal and it answers every call. thats why I endorse em.

you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

I have a 1001RB. I love it. It gives me enough power with 2*15 acoustic and 4*12 ampeg cabs. I have to compete with 2*100 watt full stack Marshalls. I use two basses a 96 fender precision and a late eighties Ovation celebrity. I can get a decent tone, but what I realy like most, is using it as a DI when I record with it. Any questions feel free to contact me.

JL - what's your 2x15 Acoustic? I have the 2x15 model 402, loaded with the original Jensen speakers. I'd like to replace my amp and use this cab at least until I can afford better, but have no idea how many watts this cab can handle.
- Matt W.

Originally posted by NuB-bass:

JL - what's your 2x15 Acoustic? I have the 2x15 model 402, loaded with the original Jensen speakers. I'd like to replace my amp and use this cab at least until I can afford better, but have no idea how many watts this cab can handle.

NuB;

I have the same cab. Not sure what it can handle because I bought it used. It handles my 1001 RB well, and it is loud. My guess is it could handle 300 watts at 8 ohms, but just a guess.

Originally posted by JLsound:

My guess is it could handle 300 watts at 8 ohms, but just a guess.

300 watts sounds good, however the cab is wired at 4 Ohms. One day I may get it reconed and have it tested, in the meantime I'll think about that... the GK1001 didn't blow up the cones, that what matters most.
- Matt W.

Originally posted by NuB-bass:

300 watts sounds good, however the cab is wired at 4 Ohms. One day I may get it reconed and have it tested, in the meantime I'll think about that... the GK1001 didn't blow up the cones, that what matters most.[/QB]

Cool, I didn't know whether it was 4 or 8 ohms. The GK will push 540 watts at 4 ohms Full range, but I never push the max, so 300 is my safest and best guess because I think I am pushing about 60% of the power through it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and bought the amp. I talked the store manager down to $250 and a Squire Bronco bass that my son has out grown. This store has a policy of giving full purchase price for trade-ins that were originally purchased at that store. Plus, I've been buying gear there since I started playing so, they are pretty easy to deal with. I'll give my review after some rehearsals and a few gigs.

thanks again,

all peace,

ransom

~Duke Ellington~

I have a 700rb I bought last fall, and use it mostly as a practice amp. I just ordered one of the new 1001rb2's, and look forward to using it as my main amp. I had a 1001 for a while and sold it and miss it.

The 1001 has quite a bit more ooomph than the 700, and I use Bergantino and Epifani 1x12 cabs that like the extra ooomph. My small rack system consists of an Avalon U5 plus Stewart World 1.2, and the GKs don't sound quite as clean but they are closer than you might think, and a lot easier to carry around.

I have to say the Avalon is a better DI than the built-in GK DI, but what would you expect.

Also, check the Speakon terminals on the cables that come with the amp, to make sure they are tight to the wire ends. My previous 1001 came with real Speakons; the 700 came with ratty cheap imitations; but at least half the wires were loose on both.

I've owned my G-K 1001 for about 2 years and it has been great so far. Purchased it new online thru Musicians Friend for $649.00, free shipping. Here's my tail, we play small venues so I do not run thru the PA. My set up last year was a new Ampeg 4x10 HLF (4ohm)cab and twice I blew one of the 10"s at 2 seperate gigs. I went to Guitar Center, Houston and ran my amp thru the GK 1x15 & 4x10 cabs using my MM/EB 5. It sounded like I was hacking away at the cabs with an axe, a real axe ;) . They sounded terrible, with speakons and 1/4 inch cables. I then tried the 8x10 Ampeg, 4x10/1x15 Mesa Boogie's and the SWR 4x10 Goliath III/1x15 Son of Bertha. I gotta tell you I just went with what sounded good to my ears and man those SWR cabs sounded sweet. So I took home the 4x10 and the 1x15 (both 8ohms). Question here is, I want to return the 1x15 and get another 4x10 cab. Can the 1001 push these 2 cabs at full range well enough, they are rated at 700 watts each, or will I be coming up short on power. I am also running a BBE sonic maximizer. And again I am loving my GK1001. :thu:

• 1 month later...

CAUTION: LONG POST

Alright, so I bought the 1000rb like six and a half weeks ago. It sounded great (notice the past tense) and I could not have been happier. Hey, I beat the curve and got a 1000rb that works and for cheap, or so I thought. I got the amp on Thursday, put it in a rack and messed with the settings a bit at low volume. I didn't have time to give it a thorough workout. I took it to my gig on Friday, an outdoor innercity youth outreach thing. With some of cautions from my fellow bass forum members in the back of my mind I decided it would be wise to bring the Carvin r600 along just in case. I'm glad I did because during sound check the GK started breaking-up a bit and not in a good way. I shut it off and tried to turn it back on again and got nothing. After a few tries it faded back on and seemed to be fine. This whole time the protect circuit never engaged. Being more than a little nervous I put the Carvin on stage in case I needed to make a quick change. I did, not three songs into the set it started breaking up and faded away. I changed heads and the gig went fine. The next day (Saturday) I took the head back to the store where I bought it, the only GK dealer in the area. They didn't seem at all surprised and said they would send it to the GK service rep in our area and give me a loner (500 watt peavey kilobass). Not what you want to hear three days after getting new equipment. I made my case about buying GK and having to play Peavey, although the Kilobass doesn't sound too bad for a Peavey. I relented and went home with the Peavey in tow. It took them a full week to send the GK across town to the service center. They either forgot or didn't have a car available or some other nonscense. Anyway the service center has had it for four weeks now and still aren't telling me what's wrong with it. Is this the life of all GK owners? Because I may cut my loses and keep the Peavey, at least I know they are reliable.

Any advice ?

peace,

ransom

~Duke Ellington~

My RB 400 has worked with absolutely no problems for years. I have heard about problems with the 1000 but also know people that have had years of good service from them. I would expect that you will be fine after it is fixed.

Originally posted by ransom:

Is this the life of all GK owners?

Nope. My 1001rb has been nothing but reliable.

I gotta wonder though... what kind of return policy does the store have? If it were me, and I bought a head one day.... then 3 days later it keeled over on me, I wouldn't take it back for servicing....... I'd demand my money back (especially after hearing about the possible problems with 1000rb's and 2000rb's.) But hey, maybe that's not the case.

-Mike

...simply stating.

I've had a 700RB 210 combo for a few years and it is totally reliable. I think the warnings about the 1000 were worth heeding, obviously, but every company puts out the odd lemon model. I think G-K is worth a second chance.

I'd be more inclined to find a different music store where they've got their shit together a little more.

The 1000RB was discontinued in 97. If you bought it new, it's been sitting around the store all that time unused. If that's the case, the capacitors are probably dried up. I would suggest that you bypass the store and call the repair shop yourself to find out what's going on. If you can't get the issue resolved, you could get a new GK 400RB-IV for around the same price. If the shop is a GK dealer, I may be able to help with that.

dan@gallien.com

I've owned a 700RB and a 1001RB. I sold the 1001RB to a guy who had a 1000. The 1000 has overheating problems, which were fixed in the 1001 series. The 1001 II will take it up a notch with the wattage ... we'll wait to see what happens with the heat, but the variable speed fan seems to do its job well.

I had a topic recently on my GK1001RBI shutting down on me in mid-tune. Well after having it for three weeks the repairman says he could not find anything wrong that could cause that. I need to say here that I had this amp in a 4 space rack case with my BBE processor mounted below. I am wondering if maybe the 3/4 inch or so of space above the amp may have caused it to overheat and that is why it would briefly shut down and then kick back on again in just seconds and only 2 or 3 times during the gig. I am taking it to my gig this Saturday and will not mount it back in a case for awhile to see if it just needed to breath better. On a side note I want to thank the support I recieved from Alvin and Dan at GK. Man those guys came thru for me big time while I was trying to get my amp serviced. Very Cool! :thu:

My first head was a GK 800RB I bought used off of ebay. It was a work horse. I used it for 5 years and it never gave me any problems. To me it was a very versitile, straight forward head. Sounded great in any setting. I recently sold it to a friend. When I bought that 800RB it cost me about 350. I'm not sure about the 1000rb, but I stand behind GK, I never had any trouble with the head.

My only observation is that you have had two heads crap out on you; first the Carvin and then the GK. Is there any chance that your speaker cabs or cabling have a short and are causing damage to the output section of these amps? It seems like you've changed heads but not cabinets.

Archived