Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Lull Bass again please!!

xhawk4

Ok. I've found the M4's that I gotta have. But I can only choose one!! Can you guys/gals help me figure out the tonal difference? I play Blues, Classics, Some Jazz and some newer Rock/Blues. Both Modern-4's have the same 5A figured maple top, eastern rock maple neck and Bartolini 2-band preamp. Unfortunately, I cannot play either one, (mail order).

The differences are...

#1.... built in 1998, Alder body, maple fretboard, Lindy Fralin vintage single coil pickups.

#2.... built in 2002, Ash body, Rosewood fretboard, Bartolini hum-cancelling pickups.

The prices are different by $300.00. The newer one is more expensive.

Do you think the older one might be built better? I'm kinda leaning towards the older one due to the wood and pickups.

Good choice for my style of music?

I never heard Lindy pickups before. But I might chance it.

Thanks again folks, appreciate it alot.

Hawk :cool:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vote for the older one.

My Lull bass has Lindy Fralin pickups. They sound great.

I'm a fan of Bartolini electronics but not Bartolini pickups. To me they don't have enough of the old school sound.

Old Fenders were generally made of Alder.

And the maple board will give the bass some snap.

You will be able to play any kind of music with this bass.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I vote for the older one.

My Lull bass has Lindy Fralin pickups. They sound great.

I'm a fan of Bartolini electronics but not Bartolini pickups. To me they don't have enough of the old school sound.

Old Fenders were generally made of Alder.

And the maple board will give the bass some snap.

You will be able to play any kind of music with this bass.

I heartily agree with my esteemed colleague JeremyC. You will be the happiest kid on your block for a month (at least) if you go with the older of the two Lulls.

My vote would also be for the older one. Alder body with a maple board is a great combo.

Enjoy! :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I used to own a Lull Vintage 4,ash body,rosewood neck,Fralin single coils. Two days ago I traded some of my old rig for it back from my buddy to whom I sold it. What a nice instrument. I do,however,prefer alder for blues,classic rock,etc. If you were going to be doing a lot of smooth jazz and r&b and slapping I'd go for the newer one. It should have a more modern tone. But for what you're doing I'd go for the older one too.

Archived