Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass equipment

Lawnmower8

Hey folks, this is my first post, so I'll cover a range of stuff, mostly equipment issues...

I currently use a Fender Jazz bass, a Hartke 3500 head, and a Hartke 215XL cabinet. The cabinet sounds great, but it's 110 lbs., making it impracticle for lugging around to different practice sites and small gigs.

I'm looking at the new Avatar 210 cabinets, and wondering if anyone else has played through these and if you'd recommend them (they got a great review in the latest bass player).

Also, just wondering if you guys recommend any specific for home recording, like DI boxes or effects or anything.

Thanks.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I own a B210 and a B115. I would suggest this type of setup. 2 10"'s will give you a whole lot of mids and treble but not a whole lot of deep bass alone unless you are playing jazzy, folksy, bluesy low volume type stuff. Not recommended for loud rock, metal music by themselves. If you do decide to get just the B210, make sure it's a 4ohm'r. It'll be plenty loud! Mine are both 8ohm cabs since I use them together. I also have a Fender 4 ohm 15" cab for smaller spaced gigs/rooms.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Lawnmower8:

Welcome to the forum. I can address your home recording question.

First, do you currently have a multitrack recorder, or are you using a computer? I will give you my setup:

GK 1001RB Bass head, XLR out, Post eq

Tascam digital 4 track minidisc recorder

Most tone shaping comes from the head, but will (equilize) eq on the board slightly to mix with other instruments.

If you could provide some more details, I will help you if I can.

Thanks you guys...

I'm thinking of getting the 4 ohm B210, rather than the 212 or 115, simply because I want something light to travel. Not planning on stacking it with anything. For bigger rooms, I'll lug the Hartke 215XL to the gig, but it's just not practical for practices and small gigs.

Also, for recording, I currently own a Tascam 564 minidisc recorder, and an old Korg M-5(?) multi-effects bass pedal (which I never use). Is anybody here familiar with the Line6 Bass Pod? I've tried some of that kind of stuff in stores but wasn't sure if it was worth it. What a I really need is a decent drum machine to make demos (I have a bunch of SM-58 mics and a Takamine acoustic guitar too). Any recommendations?

Thanks again...

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Originally posted by Lawnmower8:

Thanks you guys...

Also, for recording, I currently own a Tascam 564 minidisc recorder, and an old Korg M-5(?) multi-effects bass pedal (which I never use). Is anybody here familiar with the Line6 Bass Pod? I've tried some of that kind of stuff in stores but wasn't sure if it was worth it. What a I really need is a decent drum machine to make demos (I have a bunch of SM-58 mics and a Takamine acoustic guitar too). Any recommendations?

Thanks again...

I also have the 564. Have you tried running your Hartke into the Tascam? Do you have an XLR out?

For a rhythm machine I have Boss Dr. Rhythm. I think it works pretty well. I actually play it. ie. I don't program it, I hit the buttons along with the song. I use about 8 tracks per song, which means I bounce forward all the time. The only disadvantage is, I can't mix all the instruments at the same time. The first mix has to be good.

Yes, one of the downsides of 4 track recording... I used my 564 to record drums (4 mics - 1 snare, 1 kick, 2 overheads), bounced those forward, then added bass, guitar, and two vocals tracks, and then mixed it all down. Didn't sound great, but it was the only way to get a good drum sound. Then again, with the Mini Datadiscs, at least it was fast and easy...

The Hartke 3500 does have an XLR out, so I can go direct into the Tascam... I've only used the Tascam to record live stuff (on regular 2 track minidiscs) and one demo album by my now defunct band... so, I'm going to be getting into my own one-man-band demos, but I don't have drums... I've seen some cheap deals for drum machines on eBay, but not sure if they're any good...

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

I just got a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I now plug my crappy Squire P-Bass into the DI and the DI into the computer sound card. This DI gives you an excellent recorded bass sound with minimum fuss. Highly recommended!!

Originally posted by Lawnmower8:

I've seen some cheap deals for drum machines on eBay, but not sure if they're any good...

The Zoom Rhythmtrak 234 is pretty good as basic drum machines go. However, I'd recommend getting a portable sequencer/sound module instead - I use a Yamaha QY70 which allows you to sequence 16 tracks, plus chord tracks, has numerous sounds available which are quite easy to edit, and it runs on batteries so I write and arrange songs during my commute to and from work.

You can get them for about $250 on ebay, and if you want to upgrade to more advanced sounds later on you can always just use them as a sequencer to drive an outboard sampler or sound module. The editability on the drum tracks alone is much more comprehensive than on any drum machine, and it also has a huge number of different groove templates which can turn robotic programmed grooves into remarkably realistic human ones.

Alex

I own an Avatar 2x10 and I love it. However, as stated earlier, it doesn't give earth shaking lows. I play a jazz w/emg pu's and it sounds really nice, but I will be getting a different cab for low B work. I'll probably get Acme cabs for that because I like small rigs and don't want to haul a 2x10 and a 1x15, but that's my thing. I bet the 2x10/1x15 from Avatar would be a really great rig for those lows.

Great cab at a great price.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Archived