Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 questions

jimbojones

1. I am going to try out some basses (going for my 2nd :) ). How should i try them out? What should I do besides messing around and experimenting with the tone controls?

2. Can anyone replicate or get close to cliff burtons solo in the intro of For Whom the Bell Tolls?

primus sucks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jimbojones:

[QB]1. I am going to try out some basses (going for my 2nd :) ). How should i try them out? What should I do besides messing around and experimenting with the tone controls? [QB]

What do you want your bass to sound like? You need to have some idea of what you want otherwise you'll just end up very confused.

The most important thing to do is to play each bass unplugged before you listen to it through an amp. If it sounds good unplugged then plug it in, otherwise don't bother.

Alex

One thought - try playing bass *without* amp first. Try a Warwick (high-end) and a low-end Yamaha or Ibanez. Notice the massive difference in sustain and tone-quality *without* an amp. Pickups and electronics won't make a bad design (wood/style) sound good.

Unless you need the upper-fret "cut-away", stick with massive Fender-style bodies. Better sound, more sustain.

Originally posted by Graham56:

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago in this thread .

Some helpful and knowledgeable contributors provided a mass of really useful tips. I collated them into a single Word checklist which I took with me to the shop.

Cheers

Graham

Yeah, used most of what was in those posts when I got my new bass . . . very helpful.

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

I've decided there is another vital test. One that can identify the single best cheap bass in a stack of them, or the single worse high-end bass in a stack of them.

Body Resonance.

Play the instrument unplugged. Press your left ear tight against the upper horn of the body in playing position. Press so tightly that it closes your ear flap.

Play the bass. Basses with great body resonance will have power and punch...they will sound good, and very powerful when the tone is conducted straight to your earbone.

Weaker basses will immediately betray their weaknesses with this test. They will sound dull and uninspired in this test.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived