Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassist needed for band

TaylorC

I'm starting a band with a rhthym guitarist and a drummer in Austin, TX. I will be writing most of the stuff and playing lead guitar. We haven't found a singer, but we're looking at 2 possibilities. Our style will be varied: rock/blues/jazz/etc. I'm looking for a committed bassist, one with talent who also knows his place - no extreme showoffs or anything. We hope to start playing gigs and recording some stuff these next several months. E-mail me at:

tj13x@yahoo.com

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TaylorC:

I'm looking for a committed bassist, one with talent who also knows his place - no extreme showoffs or anything.

Who knows his place? :rolleyes:

Would you care to rephrase that in a way that doesn't insult everybody who reads it?

Bruiser

And by the way, it is bad forum etiquette to drop in, post a message (your first), and say "Reply by E-mail." It says that you are not interested in being a part of any conversation here, you just want something and you'll never be back.

Good luck finding your bassist who knows his place.

Bruiser

That "knows his place" thing is funny. Hey TaylorC, Bruiser is right - you need to rephrase that, and you should consider hanging around. If not here with us bassists (we spill food on our shirts as well), then look at the "For The Band" forum.

I think you want Duck Dunn instead of Victor Wooten. Groove over flash and solo (not that Victor can't groove and support - it's just not what he's known for doing).

I myself might not work out for you. Aside from living in NY ( duh :rolleyes: ), I've been termed "aggresive". My drummer told me Friday that I'm the first bassist he ever played with that plays solos (this after 6 years). Not sure what he means by that :eek: Guess I'll have to take a good look at what I'm doing next time we play...

Chad just moved to Austin - if TaylorC is someone you can work with, maybe that's a fit....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

what he said..."I will be writing most of the music...need a bass player who knows his place"

what I heard..."Bass player needed who likes to play the root while guitar player wanks on solos and calls all the shots cause he's such a stud guitar player and wants to control everything including the songwriting"

Maybe you should just go hire some session players to back you up.

This sounds familiar. I know a guitar instructor who is an incredible jazz and blues player and still can't get a band together. I think it's because he wants a drummer and bass player who will pretend he's SRV and let him be the prima donna while they humbly stand basking in his six string glory. Ha, what a wanker.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

I have to agree with the B-players here, that did come out rude. Maybe it wasnt meant rude, but, it did sound rude.

Session players, thats a good idea.

jreed

jreed00@dcemail.com

I agree. Sam2000 should be banned now. I've read some stupid Sam posts, but this is beyond acceptable.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

good grief. New poster here. I have posted 2 topics on here concerning some really basic questions that may have made me sound stupid. BUT, I did get answers and I did not get anyone saying I didn't know by blankety blank from a blankety hole in the ground. But when I see such posts, it makes me a lot less excited about this fount of good information I have found.

My wife just delivered a new baby on 5/22. Named him Sam. :mad:

Just the opinion of "one of the new guys".

Deep Creek

Knoxville

You know everyone has been flaming the poor original poster (and I know that the rule around here is that you get flamed at your first post :idea: Post a bass player wanted ad on a bass forum. Ask for private replies.

I've seen ads for help wanted on other forums (and posted one myself). I've also seen the gear for sale ads on Talkbass.

It doesn't make sense to me to reply to the whole list. :confused: A private email seems like exactly the right kind of response.

So you didn't like his ad.

Ignore it.

Originally posted by ClarkW:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Man... I missed it.

Just a bunch of profanity and threats of bodily injury. Nothing too interesting.
Why does that not surprise and/or shock me at all? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by music-man:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

These are not the droids you're looking for.

These are not the droids we're looking for.
He can go about his business... move along.

:D

Originally posted by jeremyc:

The guy had a good idea. :idea: Post a bass player wanted ad on a bass forum.

You're right. It was a good idea until the condescending attitude from the poster.

What a better way to NOT find a bass player than come across with a second-class-citizen kind of attitude toward one of the essential instruments in most any band. I play guitar, bass, and drums. I'm probably better at lead guitar than I am at any other instrument, yet I understand the importance of bass in music and I certainly find it to be a much more complex and potentially difficult instrument than guitar. And, I find the typical guitarist attitude clueless and insulting toward bassists. Grrrrr!

I played(still play sometimes) guitar for 20+ years before going to bass as my main instrument. I am still suprised at how simple the notes can be sometimes, yet how much effect on the music I can have by how I play them and which ones I play.

I think the bassist should play to the music and make their parts fitting and appropriate. I hope for his music's sake that's what taylorc is really looking for.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by jeremyc:

The guy had a good idea. :idea: Post a bass player wanted ad on a bass forum. Ask for private replies.

I've seen ads for help wanted on other forums (and posted one myself). I've also seen the gear for sale ads on Talkbass.

JeremyC,

I have to disagree. To quote the FAQ for this forum:

"May I post a classified ad, gig announcements, or an item for sale?

Posting classifieds, gig announcements, and/or items for sale

MusicPlayer.com has an entire Classifieds area dedicated to posting items for sale, musicians looking for band members, help wanted ads, gig announcements, etc. "

This is not the place. This forum is a place for discussion of basses, bass equipment and bass playing. If the original poster had asked for advice regarding how to find a bass player in Austin, or started a conversation about how to audition bass players so that he finds one who meets his needs, he probably would have gotten some helpful replies. Instead he stated what he wanted and split, end of discussion.

It rubs me the wrong way when people treat a forum like some database, where they can type in a question and expect an answer. It's actually an ongoing conversation between human beings, and should be treated that way.

I was offended and said so as politely as I could manage.

Bruiser

I personally am attracted to gigs where I'm asked to 'know my place.' That shows me it's musicians that care about groove and taste, not flash.

TaylorC i'd give you a call if i was in austin, but i'm a little north. good luck with the band.

Archived