Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a good album to buy for a road trip

sam 2000

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SplitNick:

Mark:

Does Ivan stick with mostly ballad approaches, upbeat or variety? I like Djavan's slower stuff, but the upbeat music that he does just blows me away.

His material varies in tempo and feel. As I do with other composers, I tend to like Lins' ballads most but YMMV.

His first hit song "Madalena" (recorded by Elis Regina) is an uptempo tune. The duet w/Djavan "Somos Todos Iguais Nesta Noite" is midtempo. Other favorites that are mid or uptempo songs are "Lua Soberana", "Menino", "E de Deus", "Antes Que Seja Tarde", and "Leva e Traz".

Like Jobim and many of Lins' peers, his harmonic vocabulary KILLS me. His chord changes and voicings are incredibly rich.

My first thought was with Jeremy. My kids spend some of the trip talking, and some listening (or sleeping). Trips can be a time when the pressure and demands are reduced, and you can take a step toward seeing each other (you and your parents) as adults.

Years back we took a few trips with some tapes that were at hand -

Police - Synchronicity

Traveling Wilburys - Vol 1

The Simpsons Sing The Blues

Last year we reprised some of these and had a great time. I also threw in Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True". My daughter didn't care for it much, but it was made worse by my wife and I singing along to the whole album (sometimes in harmony).

Have fun

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

wow this is the first thread i have posted that has gotten to page #2 thanks to everyone who contributed to it. maybe we can all try to get a third page :thu:

'NARD. Damn! How old school is that album? Young Dennis Chambers and young Marcus Miller. I was all over the album when it when it first came out. I didn't even know who Dennis and Marcus were then, but I learned it all anyway.

Have you have heard him recently? Easily one of the finest piano/keyboard players in NYC.

Originally posted by tnb:

'NARD. Damn! How old school is that album? Young Dennis Chambers and young Marcus Miller. I was all over the album when it when it first came out. I didn't even know who Dennis and Marcus were then, but I learned it all anyway.

Have you have heard him recently? Easily one of the finest piano/keyboard players in NYC.

Yep, some of Marcus's finest work IMHO... The other bassists on that album are equally as good!

As far as Nard is concerned, I'm sure there are dozens of releases that he plays on that I'm not aware it's him, but the last time I heard him play was with Cameo in say '96 or so. Great show, but not too much 'Nard featured. So what's he doing in the millennium?

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived