Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Blame Game

I blame: Eric Clapton for wishing he was Albert King and playing 300 hour solos in Cream. I blame Ginger Baker for "The Toad." I blame Jimmy Page and Keith Richards for the "skinny guitarist on drugs" stereotype. I blame Jon Entwistle for the "bass player who just stands there" stereotype. I blame Blue Cheer for playing too loudly. I blame Kiss for overdoing it and staying around too long. I blame Iggy Pop for throwing hamburger meat at an audience and continuing the "lunatic singer who might be physically dangerous to the audience" stereotype. I blame Spirit for breaking up. I blame Johnny Cash for walking the line. I blame Angus Young for writing the same song 5000 times. I blame Eddie Van Halen for inspiring all those Sunset Strip guitarists and overshadowing Micheal Anthony's excellent bass playing. I blame David Lee Roth for every high-voiced male singer in the 1980s. I blame Duran Duran for that "high-fashion" thing. I blame Nirvana for all the '90s bands who decided that three chords, angst and heroin can make a great song. I blame Seattle for being so rainy that it made all the bands there depressing. I blame Layne Staley and Eddie Vedder for creating the cult of Frankenstein/Ethel Mermen male singers. I blame Days Of The New, Tantric, Creed, Default, Nickelback, etc for continuing that vocal style. I blame Pantera for the "bald screaming singer with tattoos and a chugga-chugga band" stereotype. I blame Steve Albini for not making more Big Black records. I blame Korn for all the bands who think a pseudo-hip-hop beat, de-tuned guitars and manic depression make great music. I blame Limp Bizkit for all those fucking backwards red baseball caps. I blame Rob Zombie for going solo. I blame Flea for all those stupid white bassist boys from the suburbs who discovered that they have thumbs. I blame Bob Marley for dying. I blame The Grateful Dead for the annoying cult of filthy, pachouli-stinking kids with trust funds who followed them around the country. I blame Phish for picking up where they left off and building a cult of psuedo-hippy instrumentalists who cater to the same crowd. I blame Dave Matthews for all the pop bands that are now "jazz-influenced." I blame Hootie And The Blowfish for trying to kill rock n' roll. I blame Journey for being corny. I blame Boston for taking 10 years to record an album. I blame Bill Ward for being a sucky drummer and ruining "War Pigs" with lackluster fills. I blame Fugazi for starting emo. I blame... myself for this rant and being influenced by all of these people. I blame... I blame.... YOU! for reading this far.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we're pointing fingers, I blame Simeone for getting David Beckham sent off four years ago, I blame the average CD buyer for having no taste and being thick as pig shit, I blame capitalism for advocating the dollar over decency, I blame communism for the millions of people forced to live in unfashionable apartment blocks, I blame despots for keeping that military uniform + aviator sunglasses vibe going, I blame the monarchy for Diana's death, I blame Diana for the monarchy's death but most of all I blame The Wewus for JFK's death, he'll never convince me he wasn't on that grassy knoll.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

My turn! I blame the record companies for the sorry state of today's music. I blame the record companies for helping create the corporate radio beast. I blame the record companies for inflating budgets for uninspiring artists. I blame the record companies for being more concerned about profits than product. I blame the recored companies for not being more creative in finding new talent. I blame the record companies for killing Napster. I blame the record companies for not keeping pace with technological breakthroughs in their distribution channels. I blame record companies for the death of the single. I blame record companies for paying so-so producers six figures to sample someone elses music. I blame record companies for not having guts to be truly innovative. I blame record companies for payola. And finally, I blame The Wewus simply because he is there.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I blame me for being so uninspired by the pig shit music on todays radio. I blame me for not striving to do better than what is average but considered great. I blame me for lusting after capitilism because I want want want more. I blame me for allowing the record companies for being a boys club that only the popular can belong to. I blame me for sitting quietly by while the record companies became the "man", therefore making music recyclable. I blame Erik for starting this whole self-examination thing! I blame my Dad for not buying me a drumset sooner and, drum roll, I blame me for not being a better drummer.
Jen H.

I gotta take a shot at this one: I blame the music and recording industry for funding and signing artists who have nothing to say and aren't remotely interesting in any way. I blame the music buying public for being lemmings and buying anything that the music and recording industry puts out. I blame radio and the music and recording industry for succumbing to the bottom line and NOT signing/playing music that deserves to be heard. I blame bean-counter for keeping A&R type from taking any chances and letting acts develop. And most of all I blame theWewus for Iran/Contra because he was there!!! :D RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I blame Erik for thinking it's OK to spell his name with a "k." And for being one of at least two other Eric's from Philly on this forum. :mad: Besides me. :D I blame conspiracy theorists, for gathering in smoky rooms late at night and concocting conspiracy theories in order to make us all paranoid enough to believe in conspiracies. I blame Carrot Top, for all the obvious reasons. I blame baseball games that go into extra innings, thereby forcing me to watch even MORE Carrot Top commercials. By the end of regulation, I'm ready to dial down the center to reach the suicide prevention line. I blame the guy in front of me who's had his left blinker on for the last five miles, braking for no apparent reason, weaving ever so slightly across the shoulder, with his head tilted to cradle the cell phone while spilling his Starbucks iced double amaretto cinnamon latte espresso a la mode whipped shake. I blame George Bush. For George W. I blame Anhauser Busch. Your average American college student has never tasted beer. I blame Sir Walter Raleigh. (He was such a stupid git.) I blame myself. Seriously, it's not you, it's me. Really. I blame Homer Simpson, for running the Spinal Tap tour bus off the road and wiping out the whole band. I blame Microsoft. And Comcast. And....and.... I blame the media.

Great topic Erik. I blame Reagon for destroying the family farm, the EPA and the beginning of taking one good job and turning it into 2.5 shitty ones with no retirement benifits or health insurance. I blame Bush for creating a war to prop up his lack of popularity and for all the S & L scandals. I blame Clinton for deregulating radio and not cramming a good national health plan down the throats of the hospital and big drug industries. I blame dub-ya for being a complete moron and mouthpiece for big business. I blame Wewus and the corporations for pretty much all of our nations ills.

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard: [b]I blame the Devil....cause SHE made me do it! :) [/b][/quote]I blame Geenard for taking the Devil cause I was gonna use that one.
I really don't know what to put here.

Stop it please!!!! I can't take it anymore. My stomach hurts from laughing and the boss is circling my cubicle. Let me add: I blame EW for reminding me of carrot top....after I had almost forgotten about him. I blame Clinton for bringing such National disgrace to our most precious American occupations...the blow job.I blame those mindless american viewers that tuned in each week to keep shows like V.I.P. on the air. And I blame the camera man and producers of V. I.P. for not showing more extreme close ups of Pamela's boobies.

i am not the devil, but i will play the part of his/her advocate in this thread. [b]I blame the sorry state of teen musical taste (yeah the audience) for the current state of the industry as it relates to what get played, marketed/promoted and signed.[/b] didn't our parents say that about [i]our[/i] music? and didn't [i]their[/i] parents say it about [i]theirs[/i]? break the cycle! [b]I also blame MTV for taking the focus off the music and placing it on womens asses.[/b] you should be thanking them? [b]I blame Erik for thinking it's OK to spell his name with a "k."[/b] yeah, that one's okay. [b]I blame baseball games that go into extra innings, thereby forcing me to watch even MORE Carrot Top commercials. By the end of regulation, I'm ready to dial down the center to reach the suicide prevention line.[/b] you should be blaming the ad genius who got got it stuck in your head. his job was to make you think about "dialing down the center" at any cost, and i bet Carrot Top didn't cost much. [b]I blame the guy in front of me who's had his left blinker on for the last five miles[/b] sorry, i'm turning up here pretty soon. [b]I blame Anhauser Busch. Your average American college student has never tasted beer.[/b] uh, your average college student is under 21. [b]I blame Wewus[/b] it's not his fault. --- okay, done. my only blame is this: i blame Curve for making Geenard think he should change his avatar, even though his new one is cracking me up.

I blame Greg Ginn for taking Henry Rollins out of Washington D.C. and into the national eye. I blame The Bad Brains for moving to New York. I blame GG Allin for creating scum punk and then overdosing. I blame Matador Records for failing to release any new Guitar Wolf discs. I blame Ike Turner for beating on Tina Tuner with a shoe. I blame Motley Crue for shouting at the devil. I blame Sly Stone "falettinme be mice elf agin." I blame Lemmy Kilmister for hanging out at The Whiskey or The Rainbow Room every night without fail. I blame anyone who wore spandex or an animal print in the '80s for ruining glam for everyone. I blame Freddy Mercury for dying before I could see him play. I blame Yngwie Malmsteen for playing too fast, inspiring neo-classicism in rock and for having a name that's hard to say. I blame Killdozer for not making another album of covers. I blame black ice for killing Cliff Burton. I blame smoke for being on the water and fire for being in the sky. I blame Deep Purple for creating that music store riff. I blame Col. Parker for ripping off Elvis and letting him get fat. I blame everyone for not buying more Monster Magnet CDs. I blame Frank Zappa for dying before he could write another song like "Valley Girl." I blame John Lennon for not having a bodyguard. I blame Tool for bringing back prog rock and inspiring all those horrid overplaying drummers in unsigned bands. I blame B.C. Rich for all those stupid fucking pointy guitars. I blame Baskin Robbins for having 31 flavors. I blame heroin for killing too many talented people. I blame Les Paul for electrifying guitars. I blame Can for being German and writing "Autobahn." I blame the MC5 for "kicking out the jams, mother fucker." I blame Sid Vicious for stabbing Nancy Spungeon. I blame The Beach Boys for harmonizing and then causing Brian Wilson to lose his mind. I blame Hugh Hefner for having a mansion full of silicon Barbie dolls. I blame Howlin Wolf for another mule kickin' in my stall. I blame Alvin Lee for "Goin Home." I could go on, but I'd only have myself to blame.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Lots of blame runs through my head - just a few for now... I blame all of [i]you[/i] for being smart and funny and making me think while I laugh. I blame my cousin Rob for always timing the punchline so I had a mouthful of soda that went up my nose (OK, that's personal, but it's happened to you too). I blame Herb for being a complete advertising failure yet still spawning bad ads like Carrot Top. Later... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I blame Dennis Miller for reading every obscure thing on the planet and then throwing it into his routines. I blame John Lennon for letting Yoko out of her cage. I blame the fashion industry for making beautiful young girls think they need to be thinner, better looking and bustier. I blame the Spice Girls for girl power. Girls have always had the power, stop rubbing it in our faces ... unless we ask you to. I blame it on the rain. I blame Canada. I blame it on Cain. I blame Wewus for being Wewus. I blame Craig Anderton for letting Wewus into the party. I blame myself for reading Wewus's posts. I blame my mother for everything else. -- Rob Don't blame me, I don't work here.
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I blame the New Kids on the Block for starting the boy band thing. I blame Hanzel und Gretyl for having cool releases that can't be found for purchase anywhere anymore I blame Tom Cruise for looking gay I blame Tom Clancy for my paranoia I blame Hunter S. Thompson for making me wish I lived in the late 60s I blame George Lucas for releasing a chick flick I blame low blood levels of nicotine for making me want another cigarette I don't blame the Wewus for any damn thing at all...your cool with me.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

[quote]Originally posted by mdpetrick@yahoo.com: [b]I blame Pat Harrington... [img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bc870647/bc/My+Photo+Album/schneider.jpg?bcHMgK9APIRIUwvh[/img][/b][/quote]Um, does your Mom blame him, too? ;)
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Archived