Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Pickups?

yoyoman

I have a Fender hot-rod p-bass with stock pickups. P at the neck J at the bridge.

I thought it sounded good, until I picked up an old G&L Lynx bass as a back up. The tone was so rich and you could hear each and every note individually with big fat tone and brilliant highs too. My fender tends to blend the notes together. The E string overpowers any other ringing note, but not on the G&L, whatever you hit is what you hear.

What pickups could you suggest for the Fender to give it that kind of sound?

I know I could just play the G&L but I love my Fender.

Any Ideas?

YoYoMan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dimarzio makes pickup called the split-p,or something like that. Its a blade pickup full humbucker with four blades total. i've never actually heard it but it should be fat, also check out stacked j humbucking pickups.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

emg's are great when you want less noise from electronics and clarity, but for richness gor towards what i stated or bartolini quadrocoils
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

emg's deliver clarity and mask noise from electronics but they do not give the rich fundamentals you would get from humbuckers or even a pickup like the bartolini quadrocoil

I have a Schecter Diamond Elite 5 string. EMGs came stock and I really like the powerful sound that they produce.Some of my other Fender basses have stock pickups, one of them sounds good and one doesn't. I have Dimarzio replacements in two other instruments and I really love them. They are powerful and warm yet articulate.

However,as we all know, quality of tone is subjective. You should also consider the materials and construction details of both instruments. There are many reviews of pickups available online and most manufacturers have technical details on their websites. So do your research. Good luck and keep us updated.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Hey YoYoMan,

Have you checked to make sure that the pick up height is not out of wack, where it is higher on the E string side than on the G string side? Or the hight of the strings them selves might not be "even" and the E might be closer?

Also consider the string guages. I used to switch the A strings from I think it is Gore Elixir 5 string and 6 string packs. In the 6 string packs the A was .80 but in the 5 string packs the A was .85; and I felt they sounded better when I switched them. I 'd string my 5 string with the five string pack but with the A from the 6 string pack and vise versa for my 6 string. They'd have 1.00 E's in the Five string pack but 1.05 E's in the six string pack, and I felt the .85 A balanced better with the 1.05 E, and the .80 A balanced better with the 1.00 E.

It just seems to me that the pickups themselves should not be the cause of the E string being louder.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

temporaryarmsglisten -

i use primarily emgs. i love em. they are nice and quiet, with plenty of fundamentals, and they sound nice and smooth. also when you slap.........OHHHH YEAAAAA!
I agree! My Spector NS2000B came with a passive EMG pup (the 35HZ) and I put a set of active PJ5s on my Samick Five a few months ago.

Going with the EMGs was the best decision I ever made, I feel, based on the noiseless performance and tone!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Archived