Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

epiphone eb-3

diesel4ca

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why you would want this bass is totally beyond me. Not a lot of people used the original Gibson model, it had a sound described as glorified mud.

Unless all you want to play is dub reggae, or you want to turn your amp all the way up and rule the world with distortion, I'd look for something else.

But then again people who know me would say that I'm slightly opinionated.

my buddie used to have one... he sold it for money to take his flame to the prom... i thought it was a sweet bass... i think it had a shorter scale naeck.. easy to play... as i remember it had a growly sound.. good for funkin it up....

Epiphone's EB-0 has a short scale neck, but the EB-3 has a long scale neck, and it should correctly be tagged the EB-3L, since that was the name of the original long scale version. I owned an original EB-3, and I LOVED it. You won't get any sort of Jaco fingerstyle tone out of it, but if you want a big fat honkin' RAWK bass with lots of low end and tremendous midrange punch, this is the one. The neck pickup is very boomy, and the bridge pickup has a nasal Rick-like quality to it, great for heavy fuzz bass. If you like the bass tone Jack Bruce got in Cream, he got it on an EB-3. I suppose the Epi is basically an exact copy of the old Gibson. Which means, among other things, be prepared for a staggeringly heavy instrument with poor neck balance. The neck on an EB always wants to dive to the floor, and it weighs a ton, but there are tradeoffs for the sound you get from a big ol' mahogany plank like that.

Now, I got a jones for the old days and bought an Epi EB-5 five-string. It has modern soapbar humbuckers in it, and it cuts a path between the characteristics of the old EB and a snappier modern sound. I love it. If the EB-3 is as much axe for the dough as my 5 was, it's well worth it - if you like the tone I described and can live with its balance flaws.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

EB-0; 30.5" scale, nut width 1.5", one "Sidewinder" (huge) neck pickup.

EB-3; 34" scale, nut width 1.65", one "Sidewinder" neck pickup, one mini-bucker bridge pickup.

Both bodies and necks are Mahogany, but the EB-0 is a bolt-on neck and the EB-3 is a set-neck.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

i say forget the EB-3 and go for a guild starfire or an epiphone rivoli because they are able to get the eb-3's sound and many others
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

The Rogue "hofner copy Beatle Bass" has been getting very good reviews on Harmony Central and elsewhere. Owners of the original 30.5" scale Hofners say that the Rogue is as good or better @ $259 through Musician's Frend. Just another possible choice although it's not solid body of course...

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Archived