Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIAA can now sue individual file sharers.

fig

I just read that a judge has allowed the RIAA to aggressively pursue individuals and sue them for sharing music files.

Here's one article from the Associated Press.

RIAA article

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for asking, Pete.

If you go to my website, there are some mp3's and .wav files. There is also a link to cdbaby, where you can get my cd. My website is at the bottom of all my posts. At cdbaby, there are samples of several songs from each cd.

Also at cdbaby, you can find these cds that I played on. (I also designed the Jazz on the Vine website) as well as my own and my brother's.

Jazz Express--my group

Jazz on the Vine 1

Jazz on the Vine 2

Jazz on the Vine 3

Ella Mac

Achi Ben Shalom and Adama---I often play with this group

City Lights Band---another band I often play with

Stephen Cohen---my brother---I played on some of these songs.

Jazz on the Vine website---I have played live with all these groups.

and finally, the link to my own website is below.

Happy Listening! ]

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Thanks for the link, fig.

I'll pass it on to my acquaintances who won't buy my cds because "they'll wait until they can download the mp3".

The subtlety of that was breath-taking. :D

Nevermind... it was funny when it was a double post of the same thing over an hour apart. :)

On topic of this article:

This is just another attempt by RIAA to ignore/stifle the internet and the massive potential money-making machine that it could be for them. Albums are unfortunately dying. There is a generation of kids out there right now who have NEVER paid a cent for music. Having the RIAA 'crack down' on people sharing music files on the internet is not going to deter these kids from sharing music. It's not going to make them want to buy CDs any more than showing them a basket of fruit would.

There is an excellent article in the newest Mix magazine about the future of the music industry (as one of their writers sees it). It's an interesting read, I highly suggest it. To grossly sum-up, "no physical CD sales, you can download individual songs or entire albums directly from the record company for a small monthly or per download cost."

Don't forget, Sam, that the typical self-produced cd costs at least $5,000 to make, and often two or three times that.. Most people never make back their original investment.

Support independent artists!

Here here. Most are not out to take over the world, they just want to be able to afford recording/releasing their material.

Don't forget, Sam, that the typical self-produced cd costs at least $5,000 to make, and often two or three times that.. Most people never make back their original investment.

Support independent artists!

I concur about independent artists.

However, $15 for a CD that has a single, decent track because Sony Music wants to make another bagillion dollars? No good.

Same thing with $500 software packages. Greed catches up.

These companies had a good control: unavailability of copying technology (CD's) and/or the hassle of duplicating. They charged a premium. Broad-band screwed up EVERYTHING. The pricing no longer reflects the fact that the control is gone! Karma, babe.

Apple has it right. I'm willing to spend $0.99 for a tune. Right on! It's worth me spending a buck rather than fight to find a tune on the web.

However... in today's world of music-buying public, MP3's rule the world. They eventually have to get all these songs onto their iPod. Do I buy the CD for $15, then go home, plop the disc in the CD-ROM, and rip the songs? Or do they just download it on Kazaa?

Crap, I wrote "Sony Music" on a post on the web. The Thought Police are probably on my tail already. I wouldn't be surprised if Orin Hatch doesn't sent a cyber-bullet after me and blow up my computer.

What a mess...

Maury

PS - I'm no pirate.

I am with you getz music is to corprate now if i want one song i will pay a buck for it no problem. but lets examine some prof of this rest of the album is a bunch of junk theory. The foo fighters album one by one 3 tracks out of about 17 are good on it. there is very little chang if all in the music (with exception of the first 2 tracks) and it becomes very boring. if the record companies were smart they would do what Apple is doing but then of corse they would over price that to

and people that pay to try to get albums recorded i wouldnt ever download there stuff unless they were all dead... but they ussaly dont over price andf you can go to a show of theirs

oh well just boycott or do it leagly

Originally posted by fig:

I just read that a judge has allowed the RIAA to aggressively pursue individuals and sue them for sharing music files.

fig - didn't catch any reference to judicial authorization of RIAA's new policy in this article ... what did I miss? Looks to me as if the RIAA is scrabbling for a clawhold ...

I am an unrepentant music CD burner. This doesn't mean i never buy music, there is tonnes of music that is not widely spread on the net. I think i still buy some music out of historical inertia, it's what i've always done. However, slowly but surely i can see myself never buying CD's from a record store again.

I have aspirations of being a pro musician and i don't feel that if the top record labels die off that music will suffer, perhaps it will be the opposite.

We won't have recording artists like Jennifer Lopez who cuts an album between movie shoots and never ever tours.

I like the idea of an age where live music is the most precious kind again, and the recordings are just gravy.

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

Originally posted by Sandman:

I am an unrepentant music CD burner. This doesn't mean i never buy music, there is tonnes of music that is not widely spread on the net. I think i still buy some music out of historical inertia, it's what i've always done. However, slowly but surely i can see myself never buying CD's from a record store again.

I have aspirations of being a pro musician and i don't feel that if the top record labels die off that music will suffer, perhaps it will be the opposite.

We won't have recording artists like Jennifer Lopez who cuts an album between movie shoots and never ever tours.

I like the idea of an age where live music is the most precious kind again, and the recordings are just gravy.

Nice points. Jennifer Lopez, nice booty. I'm surprised she doesn't tour; don't they have realtime pitch correction nowadays?

Live music is a dying art. I blame the RIAA. They're probably not the sole cause of the downfall of live music, BUT, they are a nice, evil, easy target. I bet the RIAA has a lower approval rating than the freaking Taliban amongst the 13 - 17 year-old demographic.

Oh, and I haven't heard the term "historical inertia" in quite a while. I had a professor who used to use that phrase. Look for me to shamelessly and unrepentantly steal your prose in future posts.

Maury

[rant begins here] So it seems that they are going after the people who have lots of music on their hard-drives that are being shared. It's a start.

I really dislike music theft. I don't do it. I also don't bootleg software or anything else. This stance has been very "unique" in the computer world where I work. I am the only person I know who actively avoids bootlegging, and that scares me.

I am hoping that maybe this crackdown will cause parents to pause a moment and realize that they forgot to teach their children that stealing is wrong. Or is stealing right? I don't know!

I have young people in my family who will argue with me endlessly about how it's OK to download from Kazaa. They say: "I would never buy the music anyway." "Those musicians don't deserve to have that much money."

Of course, I have wonderful, answers that make total sense, but they are falling on deaf ears. The basic tenet of stealing something from someone else is totally missed.

How is it that people don't realize that "someone" spent a lot of time and money and energy on that music. This "so just screw them" attitude is making me sad.

I LOVE the idea of being able to buy individual tunes online and making compilation CDs that way.

CDNow/Amazon has an interesting program, where the artist can offer their song for free download, and there is a "tip the artist" link that can be used to tip anywhere from $1 on up. I really like that.

I have personally placed my music on MP3.com for free download in some cases, and I feel fine about that... because it was my choice. I gave my permission for this to happen. [end rant]

The only type of music copying I feel OK about, is if a musician were to copy my music in order to learn it to perform it live. Then I feel as though it is just a promotional expense.

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

i totally support independant music, and i don't think that downloading hurts it. most artists on that level don't get their music into enough hands to make downloading them possible. even relatively well supported national touring acts may not be that easy to find to download such as tomahawk or rival schools, so i buy their cds. on top of that, if i stumble accross something interesting that is, let's say a local ambient band from michigan. they may not exactly be readily available for retail purchase in my area. for a band like this downloading might actually help in terms of spreading their popularity.

i like downloading because i don't make that much money and i don't have to shell out $20 to buy a crappy cd for the one or two songs i might dig by some band.

but thanks for the heads up...

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Connie people dont spend two years in the studio to make perfect albums anymore its not like the privous eras. The vast majority of people download absoulte Crap. and the hole thing with new albums is that its like the major record labels are just trying to make it easy to get a greatest hits cd if the band survives for 10 years. I think i saw their formula somewhere went something like this, 17songs-15bad song=2good songs multiply this by 8 to 10 albums = and 11th greatest hits album with 16to 20 tracks on it

lets not forget those cd prices where the artist makes crap ! :eek:

Originally posted by sam 2000:

Connie people dont spend two years in the studio to make perfect albums anymore its not like the privous eras. The vast majority of people download absoulte Crap. and the hole thing with new albums is that its like the major record labels are just trying to make it easy to get a greatest hits cd if the band survives for 10 years. I think i saw their formula somewhere went something like this, 17songs-15bad song=2good songs multiply this by 8 to 10 albums = and 11th greatest hits album with 16to 20 tracks on it

lets not forget those cd prices where the artist makes crap ! :eek:

Bad argument for why it's ok to download illegal music. You may be saying correct statements, but your logic is bad.

You don't like the quality or price of current CDs.

Ok, then go pay the $.99 to download only the good songs you want. It's cheap, you like the song, you're paying them for their work, you're not a thief. This pretty much addresses your complaint.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Who decides if recordings are "crap"?

If you don't like a particular group or recording by a group, don't buy it!

Yes, the recording industry helped put themselves into this pickle. We all know what blank cdr's cost.

We don't all know the cost of production, artwork and advertising.

We do all know that no matter how big a star someone is, the record company is still making most of the money.

Courtney Love has had quite a few good things to say on that subject. link to Ms. Love\'s very long article

Right now I am very discouraged. I would like to make another self-produced cd. The first one cost me $5000 and was fortunate to sold enough to have made almost all of that back. I also gave away a hecka lot of them for "promotion".

I have done the math and figured out what a new one would cost me to make it and promote. I would have to be prepared to make absolutely none of that money back because "people don't buy cds anymore".

Hey, Jeremy. I'd buy your CD :D

But if people aren't buying CD's anymore, what are they buying for music. Is it only DVD's? Yow! That would be a major investment if you have to include video and alternate takes and a biography!

But, I would buy that too!

I'd like to think that good music will sell, but maybe I'm just an optimist.....

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Jerm,great stuff, makes me feel like im in the grocery store,but I got to hand it to you the band is great I love it,great work.But let me ask you something,how did you develope such a good style for the music,I know you've been playing for years on but tell me a little about it.I love jazz but I cant create the fell or style for it,Jazz is one of my favorites styles of music because its creative and colorful.Shed some light on me.
Pete Combs...

From the Courtney Love article linked to above:

It's piracy when the RIAA lobbies to change the bankruptcy law to make it more difficult for musicians to declare bankruptcy. Some musicians have declared bankruptcy to free themselves from truly evil contracts. TLC declared bankruptcy after they received less than 2 percent of the $175 million earned by their CD sales. That was about 40 times less than the profit that was divided among their management, production and record companies.

Toni Braxton also declared bankruptcy in 1998. She sold $188 million worth of CDs, but she was broke because of a terrible recording contract that paid her less than 35 cents per album. Bankruptcy can be an artist's only defense against a truly horrible deal and the RIAA wants to take it away.

File sharing may be stealing, but this is the real problem facing artists and why they don't make any money.

Phil Smith - Creator of the iGigBook iPad/Android App

Over 1300 Jazz Chord Charts That You Can Transpose

a picture says a 1000 words

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/riaa.jpg - Another RIAA comic, due to its dimensions, I just posted a link.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

But really, I use Gnutella, and I admit it, but guess what folks... 100% of the media on my 'puter is legal. Here's what I do (and have said on previous RIAA threads in the past...)

1) Search for a particular song/artist

2) Download

3a) If I like it, I buy the album

3b) If I hate it, I delete it because I don't want crap in my playlists anyway

4) I look at the persons list of shared files and download songs/artists I haven't listened too and start back at #1

I gain, the artist I buy gains, and I don't buy a crappy album. Granted, most people using P2P are taking music without giving back, that doesn't mean that everybody does it illegaly. And that is the problem with the RIAA... they assume that 100% of the people using P2P aren't buying albums. Don't even get me started with the MPAA. I have even less respect for them than the RIAA.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

I loved Courtney's rant. I hope the whole industry tanks and live music becomes a sought after thing. Can you imagine if people were hungry enough for some music that they actually went out to see a band? I go see live music whenever I can, mainly because I hate the radio. The only good radio station in Kansas City is a public music station playing all kinds of crazy stuff. They really promote the local stuff too. Terrible DJ's, but I love them anyway!

Just because I argue that downloading is legally wrong, doesn't mean that I like the industry. My daughter has a CD of a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds doing pop music. Uugh! Do you really believe that some 12 year old actually put a band together, wrote songs, programmed keys and drum machines, and went out and got a record deal?

Real live music is where it's at.

Down with corporate music, long live garage bands!

I have no idea what I just wrote.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Hmm. MP3's have been nothing but great for my independent band. Thanks to the Internet we have fans all over the world who would never have heard us if they couldn't download files. The only stuff they would have heard is the (mostly) crap that was allowed to be played on radio because the labels PAID millions of dollars in promotional costs to get the songs added to playlists!

Think about it... labels PAY through the nose to promote CD's through radio, MTV etc., yet they bitch about people trading files online, which costs the labels nothing.

And by the way those fans of ours who would never have heard about us if the traditional model were still in effect, ARE buying our CD. They represent customers we would never have had at all otherwise, who heard us through basically FREE advertising. The fact that most independent records don't recoup their investment has nothing to do with file sharing, and it doesn't necessarily mean you suck, either - it just means that it's very, very difficult to PROMOTE your record well enough on an indie budget, to get your work heard by those who would buy it. In that respect, the Internet is a great help.

The battle against file sharing is not really about lost revenue, it's about control. The major labels don't like independents having a level playing field or even (gasp!) not needing the labels anymore. If they wanted to make lots of money from online music services, they could (and Apple's store is proving that people WILL, in fact, pay for something they could be getting for free). But they're spending millions in lawsuits to threaten some of their biggest customers. I'm sure they've already spent more money in lawsuits against file sharers than what they would have made if file sharing didn't exist. What idiots.

This reminds me of a great example as to why i promote file sharing.

My band recorded an E.P. in the drummers basement, we spent a couple weeks doing it on and off.

Now we have made some artwork for it and what have you. But we did not make it for profit, we just want as many people as possible to hear it. As it turns out we havn't sold many CD's at all, but each song has been downloaded off the website about 200 times(for those interested it is mikebeauchamp.com in the downloads section).

Anyway, I guess my point is that we distributed through mp3's and i can't see people bothering to listen to it if it wasn't on the net.

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

Lee you guys rock! i might have to come buy your album and see you play sometime sence you live in atlanta. you guys got to get the pics for the shirts workin though :thu:

I am in the same boat with Brendan Orr, where I download music so that I can decide wether it's worth me buying it or not. In the past week I bought Jack Johnsons albumn On and On becuase I had downloaded it and liked it a lot. Since I've bought it I've played it for a ton of my friends who in turn have liked it and might buy it.

This all becasue I went against RIAA and downloaded a couple songs of the net. The one thing that I don't get from downloading music from the internet is the artwork. That's part of the overall exprience with out that it's not complete.

Archived