Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey just hear me out on this one guys you might want actually like the idea

sam 2000

has any one ever Seen a bass where the pickups could be slid around on the bass and put into diffrent postions? If so do you think it is a good idea? If you do i will go get a cheap bass and keap you all posted about the operation :thu:

It would also be helpful to know some of the downsides and pluses of the feature ;)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Sam, just to make your life a little easier- you can edit the posts, and their titles, by clicking on the "Edit Post" icon and following the self-explanatory directions.

The movable pickup thing has been done a few times on guitars and basses over the years, but never seemed to catch on any of the times that it popped up. -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don't think it was the Ripper. It was the Gibson Grabber with sliding pickup.

There have been some others as well...a very early one where the pickup was mounted on stiff wire.

Here's a unique one, the Westone Rail Bass. Westone Rail Bass.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Actually the idea goes all the way back to the original Alembic (serial number 001) which was built by Ron Wickersham and Rick Turner for Jack Casady back in 1968. The pickups there, and these btw are the first active bass pus, were mounted on brass tubing allowing them to be slid around to various positions. This coupled with the very advanced electronics which were developed for this bass, and later refined as Alembics Series I, this bass offerd Jack a lot of sonic capability...until it was dropped on a concete floor, and according to Jack, "never sounded the same".

I believe Rick Turner carried the sliding pu idea over to Gibson when he worked as an consultant for them in the mid-late 70s, and thiswas indeed developed into the Grabber Bass.

Gibson had four basses oof repute which surfaced during this era...and mind you the mid 70s were not really watershed days for either the guitar bass industry nor the auto industry:

The aforementined Grabber with it's single sliding pickup

The G3 with three single coil pus

the Ripper, with a single low impedence humbucker

the RD Artist with advanced active electronics.

All four were heavy and bulky...and not too versatile..yet command high prices today.

Max0024+08+++++++++++++++

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I own a Westone Rail which I picked up for 15 bucks at a pawn shop. Gave it a good setup and it's a great sounder for older country, blues, old school R&B.

Sliding the pickup forward gives it a bassier tone and back makes it trebly. Great, lightweight bass.

It really was a good idea, Sam.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Archived