Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mogami, Monster, Tara Labs, Planet Waves.........

Bass Burp

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought MIT cables were supposed to be the best.

I've got mostly Monster cables and I have a Santo Angelo cable from Brazil that's really good.

Since you really should have a bunch of cables, buy one of each and give them a test.

Let's see, I just counted and I have at least 15 cables somewhere in the house, in my bass cases, in my gear suitcase, in the closet.

Various brands.

The difference between good cables is very slight. You will never notice in a band situation. You will only notice if you do careful A/B tests in a quiet room.

Just don't get cheap cables, they will break.

Yep buy good cables, once before a gig halfway through soundcheck i stood on my cheap cable and cracked my scratchplate around the input jack so that guitar was buggered so i had to use my backup and then the cable just fuzzed out so i had to borrow someone elses, so the moral of this story is buy good cables. I like planet waves but they tend to be a bit weightier than normal cables but they last forever i haven't broken one yet. Afro xxx
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

OK - it was a close call.

I followed wraub's advice, and bought those Samson Armored Cables. One mic cable, one instrument cable. I have a gig next week, so I figured I should test them to make sure they're OK. I set up enough of my PA to test the mic cable - works fine. Then I figure it's time to do some serious practicing on my bass.

So I plug in the amp end of the armor cable, and start to put the cable around the strap...

Wait a minute !!

Metal shielding + expensive finish = unhappy bassist.

So I will use the armor cable to run from amp to a stomp box, and a rubber, non-destructive cable to my bass.

Close call...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey, Mr. Capasso- maybe you could slide some heat-shrink tubing up and around that end of the cable? Be sure to figure in enough excess length to allow for the "shrinking" part, and still have enough to cover the length that would contact your bass... -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Tom, as my main bass has what could be delicately described as a "worn-in" finish, this had not occured to me. I have noticed that the metal wrap has a fairly "soft" shape to it, in that it has no sawtooth affect to it's profile, so the damage it might cause is likely to be minimal, at worst.

I think Caevan is on to something, even electrical tape might work, just at the points of contact.

Either way, I hope you like the cables in all the other aspects. Have a good gig.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

wraub - I do like the cables. Mostly I wanted to warn anyone who might have a delicate finish, because it hadn't occured to me until I was almost there. Like I said, I can use it from the amp to the noisestomp thing.

I thought about heatshrink tubing, but I'm afraid that would invalidate the lifetime warranty. The tape is a good thought, and I also thought of some kind of cloth wrapping. Not sure if I really need to, though...

thanks for the advice.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Guitar Player magazine did a test of cables that included the dreaded "cymbal test".

One of those cloth covered cables survived it better than all the other brands.

Yes, but Jeremy, these armored cables are shiny. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Monster Rock cables. They're great. Cost me about £50 for a 20 foot cable, so they ain't cheap, but they are worth every penny.

I had two Planet Waves cables, both of them broke down. One crapped out on a gig, the instrument end jack socket went and the other one started picking up Dutch AM radio.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I thought the cymbal cut was a freak thing- didn't know that it happens all the time. must be a lot of drummers that don't use those little wing nuts.

-------------------------------------

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't whomp his ass a hoppin'.

Originally posted by earljam:

I thought the cymbal cut was a freak thing- didn't know that it happens all the time. must be a lot of drummers that don't use those little wing nuts.

I thought drummers were wing nuts... :confused:

:D:D:D

Drummers out there: have no fear, ya' know we love ya' and are thankful every day that you're not g****rists...(Wait, did I just dig that hole I put myself in a little deeper?...$#!*, now they'll be no one who'll wanna play with me! :( )

:D

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived