Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what vehical do you drive

sam 2000

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sam 2000:

Wow i cant believe No one here drives an old station wagon. I have an old path finder but most musicians around this part of Georgia have station wagons must be a southern thing...

I now drive a 1987 Ford F-150, but station wagons rule for musicians. I've always driven one previously.

Originally posted by chad:

I now drive a 1987 Ford F-150, but station wagons rule for musicians. I've always driven one previously.

You'll fit right in in Tejas chad..with that F 150. Make sure the AC is in good working order.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I have a '91 Chevy S-10 sport w/ a crew cab and low profile cap on the bed.

I can fit my 15 and 4X10 in the bed, unfortunetely the 4X10 is a little to deep so it keeps the cap propped up a little bit. Then I can fit 2 electrics and my EUB in the cab. Unfortunetely, with the way my EUB sits, there can be no passengers. If it ever comes down to it I might be able to rig up some kind of harness system in the bed for the EUB, but it's never come up.

"Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."

--Henry David Thoreau

• 7 months later...

So, I will be suprised if my Chevy survives this brutal winter we've been having. I'm very interested in the VW Golf, but I'm wondering how viable hauling a real upright bass will be with it. Does anyone have any experience? Preferably I'd like to be able to haul a 3/4 upright, 1X12 or 2X10 cab, and a passenger. Is this possible in a Golf!?!?

I was also looking at Ford's new Escape Hybrid...seems like a cool idea but it might end up out of my price range (under $23,000) when it eventually comes out.

"Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."

--Henry David Thoreau

Wow!! Blast from the past! I have been driving a Ford Crown Victoria Stationwagon for the last 2 years and it's a gear haulin' machine!

However, I just acquired a VW Golf and will be making it my daily driver(the wife is getting the CV). Mine is the 4 door with a hatchback. I think you could get an Upright in there with the neck between the front seats and maybe some gear along side but I'm not sure. I'll take a tape measure out tomorrow and get you the dimensions.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

For 10 years, I had a Suzuki Swift GT hatchback (zzzzooom!), but since I became the PA guy, I had to get a van.

'96 Ford Aerostar! More trucklike than the average minivan, which is good since I haul close to half-a-ton of PA at least a couple times a week. :thu:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Since I have two amps and cabinets, I feel justified in owning two vehicles...

I have a 2003 Acura RSX (Wooooosh!), and 1992 Jeep YJ with 5 1/2 inches of lift and 33x12.50 tires for rock crawling (Thump, Bang, Crash, Scrape!).

The Jeep doubles as a bass amp hauler, but the tailgate is so high off the ground that I had to build a ramp to get the 4x10 cab in and out.

:D

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Toyota RAV-4 (with XM satellite radio installed to calm me down during the hour and half drive into San Francisco over the Bay Bridge on a Saturday night--a distance of about 12 miles)

I hear you on that Jeremy. I did some work in Napa a few years ago, and getting over the Bay Bridge just to get to the airport in San Francisco was a major hassle. I don't know how people do it. It was worse than New York, that's for certain.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by sam 2000:

Wow i cant believe No one here drives an old station wagon. I have an old path finder but most musicians around this part of Georgia have station wagons must be a southern thing...

I drive a '91 Honda Accord EX wagon 150,000+ miles...great car(wagon)!!

http://www.rus24.narod.ru/photos/honda/accordwagon1.jpg

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/

Basses:

'73 Fender Telecaster Bass

'85 Modulus Quantum 6 Thruneck Custom Pre-Serial

'86 G&L L2000 Fretless

Opus 5 String "Frankenwood" Fretless

www.Ebassist.com

Just upgraded from this:

http://www.quattroruote.it/auto/GuidaAcquisto/auto_nuove/foto/00016302.jpg

to this:

http://www.quattroruote.it/auto/GuidaAcquisto/auto_nuove/foto/00018158.jpg

At least all of my gear can sit in the trunk.

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

'94 Toyota pickup. Similar to Bump's except it preceeds the Tacoma name and body; and mine is much, much closer to the ground. And it's red with a chee-zee decal stripe. 157k miles and going as long as the carrier bearing holds out.

The family-mobile is a '96 Cirrus LXi. Surprisingly fun to drive with good handling and a V6. 80k some odd miles.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by getz76:

no car = no insurance + no petro + no lease payments

Life is good.

Well, in good ole Republican TEXAS no car = no gigs, no jobs, and (in certain cases) no home!!!!! :D:D:D

How I wish we had a good public transportation system down here! Especially after my France tour, where travelling around, even in the French equivalent of the suburbs was easy!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Love the last poll option--much of rural Fla. is the same way.

Fig--does your URB fit in the PT Cruiser?

MattC--How in the HELL do you get your URB into a taurus??

You guys can have your fancy rice-burnin' hondas & VW's. Us rednecks prefer a good ol' 'Merican Chevy S-10 Blazer. I have learned, however; that driving a 5-speed with a URB neck sticking between your driver & passenger seat can be tricky.

I used to have a '65 Mustang GT convertible, but the only way to transport the URB is with the top down--not good in a state that gets rain 200 days of the year. :D

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

Honda Element. Baby, she's nice. Back seats fold up or can be taken out, quite easily. Tons of head room as well. Great vehicle for towing alot of equiptment.

I do miss my little VW Golf though.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Ok RockwoodB here goes,

The Golf is 50" wide across the back seat but only 38" wide between the rear wheel wells

The area behind the front seats to the back of the vehicle is about 5' and from the back of the vehicle to the dash about 7'

The main problem is that when you fold the back seat forward it sticks up at a 45 degree angle. If you tip the back seat all the way forward so that it rests against the fron seat, the useable space (front to back) is reduced to about 4'

So, I don't know if it will be workable for transporting an Upright but you should check out the fit for yourself.

Of course you could always take out the backseat completely but you have to unscrew the hinges from the floorboard and that might be inconvient

I hope I have described this clearly enough to have been helpful

Best of luck

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I have a 2001 F-150 ext. cab shortbed. I can fit my 4*10, head, rubbermaid gear bin, 2 basses, 4*12 guitar cab, guitar head, 2 guitars, another gear bin, entire 5 piece drum kit, drum rack, cymbal vault, and another gear bin in it. I still have room for me +2 in the front seat. I've got a locking tonneau cover on the bed.

My drummer is a friggin loadmaster when it comes that this stuff. I still want to get a trailer so I'm not always stuck driving.

But... one time my brother had to borrow my truck so I had to take his 4 door VW Golf to practice. WOW!!!! That sucker has some serious room for such a small car. Fold down the back seat and I can fit my gear AND my guitar players gear in that thing without a problem!!! For the little hatch/wagon guys out there, the V-dub is one to consider.

1990 full size ford bronco or a 97 gmc suburban

Here is a good story with the bronco. I had just bought 2 8-10 peavy cabinets. i folded up the rear seat put the 2 cabinets in a perfect fit . not an 1/8 inch to spare. actually had to push pretty hard to close up tailgate.I arrive home ready to get them inside and jam out. I roll down the back window and now i can't reach the inside handle since i have these 2 cabinets jammed in there and they block the handle with no room to move the cabinets no one to help me at that moment.So i get a coat hanger try to hook the handle no luck.I ended up taking the roof cab off ,not an easy job .Guess what the storm clouds are brewing there is a lip on the tailgate cabinets still stuck in the back.then i remove the back seet and all is well speakers made it in before the rain the truck got all wet and about 45 minutes later the cops were nocking on the door telling me to turn it down.Ahh the trouble i caused myself when i was a young kid.I miss those days.

Rock-n-roll junkie

91 lumina. Don't laugh, it's paid for.

97 Bonneville.

Both have room for all my gear. Such as it is.

I'll buy a foreign car when I get a job overseas.

Just kiddin'. Partly.

Archived