Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EVERYTHING SUCKS!

BenLoy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well sam, why don't you do some research into the music you enjoy on a site such as the All music guide

As for recent music, what are you into? In terms of really new music, the new Radiohead album is outstanding, as is the new Dropkick Murphys. Or if you really can't find anything good in modern music, even underground, start looking back to the roots of what you do enjoy. Ride out the wave of crap until something comes along you like. I've been disappointed a lot with music lately too, so I started going back to the era of the Clash and the Sex Pistols, finding stuff there I hadn't listened to before. Anyone who complains about modern music is basically told the same thing: Do something about it. Complaining and whining is fun and all, but we're not here to hold your hand if you don't like modern music. Listen to something you do like. In the past 10 years there has been a resurgence in most every form of music, from rock (grunge), pop, metal, punk, ska, alternative, jazz, etc. And unless your definition of modern is limited to the last year or two, you clearly aren't looking hard enough for new music to enjoy.

It's easy to say that there's no hope, nothing good, and so on, without actually doing anything about it. It's much harder, but ultimately more rewarding, to do something about it, whether that means writing and playing the music you enjoy or simply seeking out new bands. As a final note, I don't know what the live music scene is like where you live, but if you have the opportunity to go to concerts (as a punk/ska fan in Boston, there's plenty of shows for cheap), go to as many as you can. Opening bands you've never heard of can be quite good and open up brand new forms of music.

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

thanks Squeenn you have redeemed my hopes and remindedme of radio head and how much i enjoy queens of the stone age but what Genre is this dropkick murphy's stuff sounds interesting :thu:

Queens of the Stone Age is good stuff. If you haven't heard Deftones "White Pony" try that, it's similar. I hear their new album is awesome too.

Dropkick Murphys are Boston Irish punk. A lot of it is barroom anthems and stuff like that, but there's also a lot of celtic influence in their stuff. It's an acquired taste, but they simply cannot be beat live.

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

Originally posted by Idnarb:

I just got from Bonnaroo.

That did NOT suck

can you give us a review and possibly some highlights? I'd love to hear how that went down this year. I'm getting my live music fix tomorrow ... Ben Harper and Jack Johnson in Philly :D

Archived