Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stingray 5 and........(insert your option here)

SteveC

So I have a Stingray 5 which is my only bass (well a fretless 4 string MIM Jazz that I did myself but hardly ever gig with it ) and it plays and sounds great. I really don't need another bass but........

I was wondering what you guys would get for a "partner" for this bass. I was thinking of possibly a Warwick Thumb 5. Something that compliments but is different.

I don't want to spend too much, but I could see dropping $1,500 or so for the right bass. I play a variety of music so it needs to be a good general sounding bass. It also needs to be a 5 string.

Let me hear your thoughts and thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to me. I'm not a big Warwick guy but that's just because I've never been able to get a sound I could work with. But in terms of opposite tones I think you're headed in the right direction and your budget is realistic. I picked up a used Lakland 55-94 deluxe for $1,600 and I can get a wide variety of tones including a MM style tone. The Ernie Ball 5 was probably going to be my next choice though. I've also heard MTD basses that have a great tone in that price range.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I think your just bored and want to buy another bass because it feels good. Whenever I'm feeling kind of down nothing cheers me up like buying some expensive bass equipment :D Rather than getting another 5 string that you don't really need why not buy something more unusual like something you can string up as a piccolo bass or buy a Tacoma ABG and string it with a high C. It will make you play differently and may open up som new creative channels.

I'm personally a big fan of the Warwicks . . . I own a Thumb 5 (Bolt-On), which is a great bass. It has nice tone, looks, and sound, but it depends on what style of music you are going to play.

Usually rock musicians use Streamers or the occasional Thumb. And so on . . . but remember choose the right bass for you.

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

SteveC

I'm in essentially the same situation - I mostly play my MM5 (although I'm still using a MM Sabre for certain situations).

In any case, as I see it now, my next bass will be a fretless 5 - probably either an MTD Saratoga or a Warwick (Thumb, maybe).

As fretted 5-string basses go, in the price range you (and coincidentally I too) are looking in, I haven't found much that I have both loved and also felt like I'd use more than my Stingray 5. And incidentally, I feel like I can get all kinds of tones out of my Stingray 5 - particularly in the studio with a decent engineer ... so I don't feel particularly limited by the Stingray sound. And a lot of the fretted basses I've liked in that price range have felt really similar to the MM - i.e. G&L, Lakland, etc. I think if I were looking at another fretted bass, I'd think more about the feel of the instrument than the sound - so I'd probably be looking at a used Spector or Pedulla or perhaps Warwick.

BUT ... as I rhapsodized about elsewhere, I recently rediscovered my Sabre 4-string as not just a 5-string with one less string, but as a completely different instrument than my Stingray 5. I've started using it again for gigs/recording. So - if a fretless 5 isn't your bag, maybe you might start looking at a new, kick-ass 4-string.

Originally posted by SteveC:

So I have a Stingray 5 which is my only bass (well a fretless 4 string MIM Jazz that I did myself but hardly ever gig with it ) and it plays and sounds great. I really don't need another bass but........

SteveC, man, you crack me up! Weren't you just posting earlier this spring about your "return to simplicity" -- one utilitarian bass (i.e., 'ray5) and a basic, but solid rig (i.e., SWR 350 or 350x + Goliath 4x10)?! :confused::D

Then a thread about a possible return to a preamp to run thru the board w/ your in-ears.

Then this thread.

I love ya', man, because in my humble opinion you are the true GASman!!! Be proud, and keep that gear turnstile spinning!!! :thu::D

(Oh, and as far as your question goes -- maybe a Fender American Deluxe P would be a nice complement? A Warwick 5-string might also be good, although personally Warwicks usually don't feel "right" in my hands. However, plenty of other folks dig 'em.)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

humabass - you are right. I am kinda bored. I did try a piccolo bass once but never really found a use for it. If I do get something, I'd like it to be something I would use. I have a fretless, and I don't see a use for an ABG in the future.

Sweet Willie - yeah I know. I have basically settled on my Stingray 5 as my main bass. I also went with an SWR Bass 350/Goliath 4X10. For most gigs, I now go from my wireless, to my tuner pedal, to a DI and then to the board. No head or cab. Nice light easy set up. I kept the other stuff for gigs where we don't use the full PA.

:idea: I have sorted it...I think.

For you the fretted MM 5 is a "do everything" instrument. You like the sound, the feel blah blah.

The one thign it can't do is go MWAAAAAAAH.

The answer...get a fretless MM 5 to match. Same sound and feel, a "do everything" bass, except that it can't sound like a fretted bass.

But wait a minute you have a fretted MM 5 already.

If you change instruments in mid-set you won't have to do too much tinkering to the sound as they are to all intents and purposes the same instrument.

There you have it the perfect partners...fretted and fretless MM 5's...brothers in funk.

Get the Jazz fretted and fit a set of flatwounds and crank up that nice valve (tube) pre-amp in that new head of yours. You will then have the modern and Old School basses covered. (Pun very much intended.) No muss, no fuss. As a bonus the J will sound great with envelope filters and synth pedals...(points to the SubWave effect on your spanky new SWR head).

That set up makes sense to me I don't know about anyone else.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Thanks for all the responses. I am now thinking a fretless would be the way to go. Why get another fretted 5 when I have one I like.

A "matching" fretless 5 Stingray would be cool. The only thing is - I like playing Yellowjackets and other "cool jazz" type stuff. For that, a 6 would be better as Jimmy tends to play both high and low. I have found two that interest me.

One is a used Modulus Q6 lined fretless with Bart pups and 3 way preamp, coil switching, gold hardware for $1,700. I had a Q5 fretless but sold i twhen the group broke up.

The other is a used Alembic Europa, Walnut Burl top on Mahogany, 11-piece Maple/Purple Heart neck, Ebony lined fretless fingerboard and an optional "crown" style peghead, gold hardware, for $3,000.

Any thoughts?

Archived