Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you like Les Claypol's Music?

Ren.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy his playing.

I'm not a big fan of any Primus stuff after "Seas of Cheese". I enjoyed the funk-meets-metal-meets-the-Residents approach on those early records quite a lot...mainly because I like a lot strange, bizarre stuff (Pere Ubu, Henry Cow, and Mr. Bungle make regular appearances on my plate as well).

Their later stuff was just uninspired, IMOHO. I like some of the stuff off of "Pork Soda", but that's about it.

I have say I have been a Primus fan since I was 16, Im 28 now. I think he is great bassplayer. When I first started to play I always tried to play like him. After a while I just played.

Anyways, I think Primus is a good band, recorded and live too. I like how his bass dosent always sound like a "normal" bass.

Just my opinion. :D

jreed

jreed00@dcemail.com

I like how his bass dosent always sound like a "normal" bass.

I think thats the part that I don't like. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for anyone who does such unique and amazing things with a bass. IMO the oddness of his sound doesn't appeal to me. Call me a purist. He's a great player, but his music is just a little too "abnormal" for me.

Why do I play bass??

Because when you thump an E or B string at the same moment someone stomps on a bass drum you can create THUNDER. Then Zeus is in trouble. Its like being a god, and you don't even have to be a good player to do it. Join a good band and you can conquer the world. Or at least make some people listen.

I like the early Primus albums a lot. Frizzle Fry, Suck On This, and Seas of Cheese are wonderfully entertaining. Pork Soda had a few moments on it, but overall I think it was sort of the beginning of their demise; even though they released 3 more studio albums after it. I rather enjoy both of the EPs they did of all covers (Misc Debris and Rhinoplasty).

It's really too bad that their later stuff was so lacking in the song-writing department. Les really started to improve from a playing standpoint while the music was getting worse. His playing on the early albums, be it very interesting and original, is very sloppy.

Hey man, anybody who cuts the webbing from in between his fingers on his left hand just so he can stretch more frets is pretty raw in my book. :thu::thu: Two thumbs up for Les.

The Primus song I enjoy the most is Tommy the Cat when it's played live.

"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to laugh at him."

-Jack Handey

Well I starting playing 11 years ago because of the man, so yeah, I likes him. :)

Sailing the Seas of Cheese should be in everyone's collection, just an awesome album.

Oysterhead is a must if you like jam-based music, seeing them live was amazing.

Les' new one Purple Onion has some of his best work ever.

I of course have every possible release by the man (bootlegs excluded), but that's just me. ;)

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.

--King Crimson

not a primus fan, but for lack of ear time - i could certainly appreciate their creativity, what little i did hear over time.

oysterhead is a regular disc in my car however, and anywhere else. it's the one disc that gives me some appreciation for both claypool and anastasio where i had little interest before in either - and i am a fan of jam music, but one of those that never really enjoyed phish.

warning tho: i'm a die-hard stewart copeland fan, i love his orgasmic way ahead of the beat playing.

outside of a few tasty flourishes here and there, he essentially recreates what he did for the police with (mostly) accuracy, so it offers one the chance to take a rythm section they know well and compare both anastasio and claypool against it for great reference - if you know the police of course.

i liked a lot of the compositions too, and some of the textures are by far my favorites at this moment in time, eg the vietnam song.

three virtuoso types locking up in the pocket playing improvised "too many notes" type arrangements. it's a note fest, but more tasteful than many attempts at such things i've heard elsewhere, save a course, jazz/latin/afro or other realms outside rock/funk/blues.

anyway, i'll prolly get a copy of seas thanks to this thread =) cheers.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

mmmmmm, maybe an A-. Maybe not.

I don't know the tune you refer to.

What is originality but putting things together the most people say just won't go? And that's accrossthem band. My ripped off bass part with his, completely diferent, ripped off drum part.

But, what ever. Get back to your nap. :bor:;)

I was into Les Claypool for a year or so, I had a few of the earlier Primus albums and his solo album, but mainly just because his playing is "different" from the norm. I lost interest in him once the novelty factor of his playing wore off. I like some of the crazy tapping and slapping he can do, but it does seem a little sloppy at times. I never liked his song writing, I was just listening to him for his playing and technique.

Is it true?

Anyone who cuts the webbing from between their fingers on their left hand just so they can stretch more frets is pretty raw in my book
As far as I know there was a lot of buzz about this a while ago and is still quite a bit of misconception, but from what I have heard this is not true.

"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to laugh at him."

-Jack Handey

Archived