Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just ain't nuthin' like an old friend!

_Sweet Willie_

During a break in my day today I spun over to a local GC near one of my errands. I played a Warwick Corvette 4-string, a Fender American Deluxe 5-string, an EB MM StingRay5, and a Pedulla Rapture J 5-string. The latter two were more enjoyable for me than the first two.

I went home and pulled out my 1990 EB MM StingRay 5 fretless, plugged into my home practice amp and played a while. While playing I took stock of all the "imperfections" -- the chip in the finish on the headstock near the nut, the couple of little dings in the black finish on the body, the fingerboard discolorations from playing (almost all darkened except for a small area up at the highest frets under the B and E strings), the way the bass EQ knob turns just a little bit more loosely than the other knobs. These little imperfections are what make it MY bass. :love: .

I know we've had threads in the past about "the one that got away" -- either the bass we should have bought but didn't, or the bass we should have kept but sold it. This is the one that didn't get away, and is staying w/ me for quite some time. This is the thread about the right decisions we've made about instruments: the ones we did buy and the ones we did keep. So which bass (or basses) is it for you? How do you know? What is it about it? Who's your old friend? Your trusted compadre -- the one riding shotgun for ya'? Dig?

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I can be considered new to the bass (going on two years this September), I have had a similar experience.

When I was getting my first (and so far my only) bass, all my friends in high school were pressuring me to get a Fender P-bass because it was just "the best".

Being anal-retentive and a miser, I shopped around for the best beass for the best price. After about a month of searching, it came down to the following:

- MIM Fender P or J bass

- Ibanez SR300dx

- some Yamaha I didn't and still don't know the name to

or

- Jackson C-20 Concert Bass

The Fender was what every bassist I knew played, and not only did I want to be original by getting something else, but it was over $100 more than the other three.

After reading reviews and trying to find out whether that price difference was worth it, I decided to go with the Jackson C-20.

I had only heard of Jackson guitars, not basses before this time, but I went with it anyway. I really loved the neck, and I still feel that I would put on my next bass if it is a 4-string bolt-on.

Not only that, but the tone was fabulous. The split-coil front pickup was deep and powerful on ALL notes, unlike the Fenders which had a dead spot or two.

Also, it was much faster than the Ibanez or Yamaha.

Most importantly, I am sooooooooo happy I got the Jackson bass. The sound fits all of my performances, and it is the only bass that I can play the first 30 seconds of the double-slapping on Victor Wooten's "Classical Thump".

From this experience, I have gained a fabulous bass (one that I am the only person I know to have), as well as I have found something remarkable:

The more independent one is, the more people want to be around you.

Albeit, I am "new" to the bass, I am in one serious band and one jam-band. The former plays at Bar Mitzvah's, and even though we don't have a drummer, my Jackson suits us FINE for keeping time and rythym. It seems everybody wants me to play for them!

Thanks for reading this far, and I hope we all can find that one special, "keeper" bass!

peaceOUT,

dave

.~.

man, this thread is makeing me feel even more nostalgic about my first bass. I wonder where that old Charvel/Jackson Fusion 4 is, probably in the corner of some teens room :( Some day we will reunite.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

I bought my Fender Jazz in January 1972. I was 24 and had been playing for 5 1/2 years. It was my first good bass. I tried out a half a dozen identical-looking sunburst jazz basses and decided that this one was the one.

It still is....I don't have to look at the instrument or my fingers, it just plays whatever I am thinking. Not that my other basses aren't good basses, but as Willie said, this one is home.

There's no place like home..

There's no place like home...

There's no place like home...

(recited while tapping the heels of my ruby red shoes together)

For good old nostalgia, I really wish I had my white Fender Musicmaster short scale. The one with black nylon-coated strings. The one I took all over the country touring with the college group. The one I did my first recording dates with. A good friend.

The one that got stolen outta my car, and I found in a pawn shop...the same pawn shop I had purchased it in 5 years earlier. I couldn't afford to re-buy it..and later the pawn shop went outta business. Wish I knew where it was.

Ya know, I wouldn't play it a lot now...but I'd love to have it, or one like it, again.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Thanks for the photo, JBFLA! Really nice bass!

I know there are more of you out there. You've got that special instrument that will always have a special place in your heart and in your hands -- and from it you have no intention of ever parting. It might not even be your main ax (for example, I think Jeremy's Lull is the one he plays the most, but he wrote about his special '72 Jazz). The Robin to your Batman, the Minute Mouse to your Courageous Cat, the Flavor Flav to your Chuck D, the Gary to your Ace...ya' hear me?!

Peace.

spreadluv

Originally posted by robb.:

my plywood P clone by washburn is my special bass. it's my first, and since i don't really own any truly nice basses, this one gets it. it sounds great. it keeps me coming home to the idea that maybe i'm just a p-bass guy.

robb.

Definitely a special bass! Certainly a unique take on the "hippie sandwich" idea! ;):D:D:D:thu:

spreadluv

I'm still waiting on that special bass. I have not felt close to any of my basses as yet! I did get my hands on a Fender American Deluxe 5 and fell in love but I can't afford it right now as I just updated my rig. Maybe next year!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

As many of you know, I played a '69 EB3 exclusively for 30 years. It's beaten up badly, there's a crck in the body (from the base to the control cavity), I need to re-mount the bridge pickup (which is a Univox copy of a RIC PUP!), it needs a refret, and .. well .. it's an EB3 - not everyone's idea of a great sound or feel.

But it's mine. When I play it in church, it's like I talk to God through the talent He gave me and that bass. I went through so much with it. I'll never part with it.

That said, I realized a while back that I needed a stronger instrument. Enter a new custom-made Kinal. I needed to learn to play a 34.5" 5-string, after having a 30.5 4-string. I put the Gibson away and didn't open the case for 9 months.

Last week, the bassist at the jam talked to me about wanting to try a smaller bass, and wanting to change his tone. If he continues this, I'll post about those issues separately, but I told him I'd bring the Gibson this week. Tonight is the jam, but I went to a different jam last night and played my EB3. I was in heaven when they called "Superstition", and the hands seemed to know what to do. Of course I put on my rarely used "I'm gonna play what I want" hat - while the rest of the band did a Stevie Wonder thing, I wedged in the Tim Bogert-style part that I love. My baby was so slender and supple and smooth and sleek and superb. It felt effortless playing it (well, it is a lot smaller). I know this bass has real limitations, but it's great to take it out once in a while. I'm looking forward to tonight to play it again.

Tom

This was at a bar Memorial Weekend 2002...

http://www.sashitewari.com/photos/osheas/sashi_0525_3.jpg

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Peter J Romano:

hmmmmmmmmm.......am I faithful to just one bass ??

Can I think about that for a bit ?? ;)

PJR

Take as much time as you'd like! ;):D

Maybe I'll reward my lovely StingRay5 with a hardshell case this summer. It's lived in a gig bag all these years, and maybe it deserves something more reliable, solid, stable, protective, secure...

spreadluv

I feel the same way about playing my M5. You will not ever see me parts ways with this bass. It just feels so right.

It gets jealous when I play the Sterling, I can see it in it's fretboard.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

It gets jealous when I play the Sterling, I can see it in it's fretboard.

Yeah - do the dots do that "evil squint" or just turn red?

And does the pickguard on the Sterling rattle when you pick up the Lull?

Dude - too much Zappa isn't for everyone. Next you'll be telling me your vacuum's name is Chunga.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Maybe I'll reward my lovely StingRay5 with a hardshell case this summer. It's lived in a gig bag all these years, and maybe it deserves something more reliable, solid, stable, protective, secure...

I did it. I rewarded my trusty axe w/ a hardshell case today. Cozy, comfy, secure, protected, happy -- I feel better about it now! :idea: it's probably big enough for a Seismic... :D

spreadluv

it's on the way willie, i promise. several shitty events in my life have the silver lining of making me more able to hunker down and build bzzasses. lookin forward to your opinions.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I bought my 72 sunburst Jazz bass used in 1980. I had other basses at the time and over the next 10 years played it more than the others. I had to "retire" her about 10 years ago as the neck developed a rising tongue and after many compensating setups and shimmings I had to put her out to pasture :cry: She still sounds great and has been "adopted" by my 15 year old daughter (who doesn't play above the 12th fret yet so the rising tongue doesn't bother her). Now? I love my Lakland 4-94,Lakland Joe Osborn,Lull V4,Lull M4,Lakland 4-94 fretless,FenderJapan 32"scale Jazz bass and California Tobias Killer B 5 :D

Archived