Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Dub???

DigiVoices

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for good dub? I've looked around but I really haven't been able to find anything that isn't just some guy with a mixer.

My favorite dub album that i have now is the Gorilliz vs. Space Monkeys if you can get pasted the name the music is great downtempo dub with a reggae feel. Recently I also bought "Dub side of the moon" which as i'm sure you can tell from the title is "Dark side of the moon" redone dub style. This was a waste of 10 bucks, Pink Floyd did it right the first time...DUH! :evil:

Basically I'm looking for anything that ya'll think is worth a listen. I definitely perfer all instruments over electronic stuff.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert but I've heard of Lee "Scratch" Perry. I did a google search and found this http://upsetta.tripod.com/ and some other stuff. I also did a search on dub music and got lots of results. I checked out dub.com . I'm also searching on Bill Laswell who was in Bassplayer not long ago. Trying to hear some samples, I'd like to hear something from this album- Jah Wobble+Bill Laswell:Radioaxiom A Dub Transmission.

Let us know what you discover! I couldn't find anything (yet) by the Gorillaz vs. Spacemonkeys.

"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

You can check out Gorilliaz here Gorilliaz

I think you can listen the entire album, if you can find the link to take you to it. If you don't have a flash player or a high speed connection don't bother.

Here is another fun app if you have flash.

Dub Selector

I've tried the google searches before and of course it comes up with A LOT of sites, but 3/4 of it isn't that good. There's a lot of bad dub out there. I was hoing someone would have a favorite they could pass along...

Going back 20+ years or so (!), "LKJ in Dub " was a milestone in the genre (rhythm tracks from various Linton Kwesi Johnson songs). Still worth seeking out. My vinyl copy was so bass-forward, it used to flip most needles right out of the groove! Have a listen to Dennis Bovell, throwin\' it down on bass...

(Dub) "Scientist" also did some great work about the same time, & King Tubby is also worth checking out..

Cool links Digivoices! I'm also checking out LKJ and the Scientist. I'm feeling the dub right about now. I'm thinking about trying to make a dub track myself. I've got my friends drum machine, my bass, my digitech processor for the delay, and a little keyboard around. It might take a while but I'm going to attempt it.
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Try an album called Dub Gone Crazy, the evolution of Dub at King Tubby's 1975 - 79. That is an amazing dub album. Also Lee Scratch Perry's Super Ape is ace and Scientist's stuff is wicked, a bit more 80s sounding. The Tubby's stuff is the warmest sounding.

Originally posted by A.P. Prod.:

...I'm thinking about trying to make a dub track myself. I've got my friends drum machine, my bass, my digitech processor for the delay, and a little keyboard around.

You're gonna need an analog delay (e.g. tape-based), or a digital processor/plug-in that does a damn good imitation of that characteristically decreasing s/n ratio & freq. bandwidth on each repeat, if you really want to nail the sound.

Originally posted by A.P. Prod.:

Bill Laswell who was in Bassplayer not long ago. Trying to hear some samples, I'd like to hear something from this album- Jah Wobble+Bill Laswell:Radioaxiom A Dub Transmission.

So I got A Dub Transmission and I have to say thank you for recommending this b/c it was just what I was looking for! PHAT down tempo heavy bass lines that shake my house. All sorts of instruments and little noises layered over the top. good stuff.

Some of the Lee "Scratch" Perry stuff I found was good but most of it didn't really appeal to me. LKJ hit me the same way, although i could only find his live reggae stuff so he was singing/chanting most of the time over the groove. :rolleyes:

King Tubby's was cool, from the small amount i listened to, sounds like old school synth dub.

some other bands/DJs that i ran across in my search last week...Shpongle, Hallucinogen, and Infected Mushroom. None of these are classified specifically as dub, they are more goa - psy trance, thankfully they are not as boring as most of the trance i have heard up to this point. If you like dub and electronic music their worth a listen.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, it was fun discovering new music.

AP Prod ... did you record a dub track :idea: before you lost the motivation??

Check out the entire On-U Sounds label catalogue from the 1980's...serious dubwise production by Adrian Sherwood. Look for titles by African Head Charge, Dub Syndicate, Singers and Players, Deadly Headly, Bim Sherman, and Lee Perry. The most extreme dub album EVER is Mark Stewart and Maffia's "Learning to Cope With Cowardice," also an On-U Sounds release.

I loved Mikey Dread's "Beyond World War 3" on Heartbeat records from about 1981 and any of the Scientist dub lps from the same era. Can't forget Burning Spear's lovely "Garvey's Ghost", the dub version of the "Marcus Garvey" lp.

Spankin' the plank all the way to the bank!

JoeKyleJr.com

Archived