Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dealing with (non) stardom

KikkyMonk

Im in a three peice band and the female (hot!) drummer and the singer/guitarist get alot of comments from the crowd. I have yet to get anything. Maybe I'm not good enough to warrent a comment, but one now and then would be cool.

How, as bass players do you deal with this? Am I the only one - is this something that I need to get used to? Is it the role of a bass player?

Dave

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It IS the invisible instrument in a lot of ways; most people couldn't pick out a bass line to save their lives, and fewer know good playing from bad unless you're really screwing up the songs.

In my experience it'll be other bassists that will catch you after a show and quietly tell you, "nice sh!t, man". For me that's something that has real meaning, a lot more than somebody that doesn't know from shinola going, "Gaaaa. thish iish greaaaaat!"

If your style is relly out front a-la Wootin or Clarke then of course you're more likely to get more public doo-rahs than if you're a tight, Wyman-esque player. But it's the Babbitt and Jamerson type guys that have always been where its at for me anyway.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

yeah, man. I've always viewed bass as being a support role (along with the drummer). If given two reviews, one saying that the bass player was the shiznit, and the other saying that then band was groovin like Dave Weckl, I fell the most accomplishment coming from the review of the band collectively. But thats just me. Of course, if I get kudos from another bassist, that's welcomed too.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

You stated that the female drummer is HOT!. Is the singer/guitarist also HOT!? Two things you have to consider. Female drummers are not a common thing and the fact that she is hot gets her that much more attention. Put her on the bass and she would get the same attention. Regardless of whether or not the singer is male or female you have to remember that this is the person that the crowd looks to as the leader of the band. Even the ugliest front man/woman will get the crowds attention. It is their job. If you want more attention then you need to put yourself in the spotlight. You need to take center stage once in awhile even if it is not during an amazing bass solo. Plenty of the musicians on the local scene here do it and they are as well known as anybody in the band. But remember that if there is nothing memorable about you then they won't want to remember. Give yourself a signature look or move. Something that makes you stand out a little. And remember, don't be afraid to push that singer to the side for 30 seconds of a couple songs. If you are a tight band he/she will understand and be more than happy to share the spotlight. Good luck and let me know how things turn out. :wave:

I feel your pain. Before my current band, it was everybody else that got the attention. Well, no. Actually it was the lead guitar and lead singer that got the attention - the keys, drummer, and I didn't. What we got was "band" compliments, and that was cool. Fans that show up for an individual will eventually go elsewhere - people that love the band tend to stay around.

In my current band I was given the lead singing, which put me upfront. Few kudos come my way for it, but being up front and being a more forceful personality than my stage-shy bandmates, I have been acknowledged as leading the band. This brings more "band" compliments, which is cool. We are doing our first gig with a new lead singer on 6/27, and I'll be interested in how our long-term friends view this. I'm thrilled !!

I thought FaL K had some good points about finding ways to step up. But only do that if you feel you have to. Like yourself and others, I've found that the musicians in the crowd (not only the bassists) know your contribution.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey guy,

Why do you think Flea takes his pants off?

As good as he is, he has to stand out in an "out-there" band.

Me? I prefer being in the background. In fact, under the stage is fine.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

In my experience you have to make a conscious effort to make yourself noticeable, if that's what you want. In my covers band, I'm happy to just chill at the back with the drummer, play the groove, and let our singers get the attention. Usually get a couple of compliments from any musicians in the audience, but your average Joe hardly notices me.

Now, playing with my originals band is a whole different kettle of fish! I put more thought into what I wear and how I look. I also put a lot of effort into 'stage presence,' for want of a better word. Take the gig we did last night, for example. I have an extremely simple bass 'solo' for about 20 seconds in one of our songs. So when it came around, I nudged our singer out of the way and stepped up to the front. Stood there playing it looking the crowd right in the eye - and they loved it :cool: . Then I stepped back to my spot and let the singer have his limelight again. But the crowd knew who I was, even the non-musicians, and I got a lot of compliments from them afterwards. But still, the most important one to me was from an incredibly talented guitar player that I know, who said he was really impressed at how tight we were.

um, yeah, what was my point again? Oh yeah, if you want people to notice you, you have to do a bit of thinking about how you're going to make that happen.

You want attention? Demand attention! Wear make-up, no underwear, less overwear, dance, give the singer head. If you want attention bad enough you'll get it.

If you want recognition? Play well, people/audiences, for all our "Joe public doesn't understand bullshit" know what's good and they know what's bad.

Personally i go for both, put on a show, move if you're moved!

Cup :freak:

I'm with Ben on this one. The right people will notice if you do a good job.

In my bass-playing situation, it's kind of hard not to notice me -- the band is a power trio. Seems like all I have to do is what I consider to be my job as a bassist (hold it down and make it rock), and I get respect.

I really don't care if people think I'm the second coming of Jaco or Vic Wooten, because that's not my bag, baby. As long as we keep getting those "You guys sound like more than three people playing" compliments, I'm cool.

So don't worry about it. People would definitely notice if you WEREN'T there.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by BenLoy:

The people that count notice my playing. That's all I care about, usually...

Indeed.

On a related note: Better get used to not being recognized. Part of being an unsigned, unknown musician is obscurity and a supreme lack of recognition for all your hard work. Your friends that come and see you play may sing praises to you when you are done, but 95% of the people that see you play generally won't say much of anything to you after the show. The "great set" or "good band" comment is most common, very rarely do people get specific about how wonderful you or any of the other band members are. All of this really shouldn't matter, playing music is about playing music, it's not about getting your ego stroked.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by BenLoy:

The people that count notice my playing. That's all I care about, usually...

Indeed.

...All of this really shouldn't matter, playing music is about playing music, it's not about getting your ego stroked.

I agree. :thu:

But I do realize that Bump is a star (at least in his own mind, despite the humility of his prior post) and should have one down in the pavement in Hollywood.

;):D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Brendan Orr:

... saying that then band was groovin like Dave Weckl...

I'd be most offended if someone said that. Or has Weckl developed a groove since the Acoustic Band days? He sure didn't have one then...

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

I just joined a 4-part lounge act where the singer and the keyboard player are very attractive women. The singer is about 40, and I would guess the keyboard player is about 30.

In the back there's me, the skinny 24-year-old baby of the band, with ugly red hair and not-so-pretty facial features, and the drummer, who is easily twice my age and looks much older because of his silvery-grey hair. I have a feeling he and I will be getting quite a few of the "great set" comments. :)

Originally posted by ClarkW:

In the back there's me, the skinny 24-year-old baby of the band, with ugly red hair and not-so-pretty facial features, and the drummer, who is easily twice my age and looks much older because of his silvery-grey hair. I have a feeling he and I will be getting quite a few of the "great set" comments. :)

Hey man, great post, great post. :D

Then what's your point of view on bassists who are the lead singer? Do you think that they're bassist who want to be recognized more? And no, Les Claypool isn't the guy who wants attention from singing because he gets enough attention with his crazy ass licks, imo.
In Skynyrd We Trust

Being not famous or recognized is somethig that all bass players have to deal with.

There are only one or two bass players, period, who are recognized by the general public and then it's because of their singing. For instance, after telling people that I play electric bass, they often say, "what's that?"

Then I say, the instrument that Paul McCartney plays, or the instrument Sting plays, and they go, "I didn't know they played bass, I thought it was a guitar."

There are some famous studio musicians who are bitter about their lack of recognition. I won't mention any names.

The typical bass player in a name band could walk down the street anywhere without having to worry about being mobbed by fans.

Actually, I like this.

Many of us are bass players because we love the support role. We wouldn't have chosen the instrument if we wanted to be the center of attention.

I know that post-Jaco, post-Flea, post-Larry Graham this isn't always the case, but you have to be pretty amazing for more than just a small circle of musicians to know who you are.

Go ask your non-musician friends if they've ever heard of Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, or some of the other names that we all drop all the time on this forum.

If you play well enough, the people who really are paying attention will notice you. And that's all you need,

actually it's more than you need.

You started playing because you loved music. Any recognition you get is just a side-effect.

Everyone keeps saying that its all about the music and that the people that count will notice. And both of these comments are true enough but I have been around musicians my whole life and I have to say that most of them will tell you that they are not only in it for the music but also for the hopes of someday being successful (recognizable) to the public. How many times have I heard musicians say "It's about the chicks and the booze. Oh yeah and the music." I am not saying that this applies to everyone. I am hoping this is a minority. But I have yet to meet a band member who isn't in it for at least one reason other than the music. :D

And Tom you can call me Kitty for short. FunkaLunk Kitty is a pain to type. ;)

I love playing music and its not that I want stardom or recognition. Even some "you band is good" comments thrown my way would be nice. Its just our singer/guitarist and drummer absorb all the comments before they ever get to me. I'm a shy person and dont really like to be infront of people (although I do well enough on stage) so its not that I want the attention. Just some comments to let me (and us) know we are on the right track.

Dave

Dude, don't sweat it.

I never got any "nice bass playing" comments until I had been playing for a long time. Most likely it was because my playing was merely competent, and I didn't deserve it. I'm a really shy guy myself. Sooner or later someone will notice.

I've been playing elec and upright bass for 24 years, have toured nationally and internationally and played major rock concerts to local dives; hardly anyone ever says much about the bass until it's not there. It's almost always other musicians who will complement me and hardly any layman in the audience will ever mention a thing.

i find that little publicity things do work. I have semi-long hair and whenever we play a heavier song i'lld kinda head-bang, and people will be like "WOW! GREG YOU ARE THE BEST BASSIST EVER!!" even if i did horrible. And if I'm having a great night, and just play calmly to the side, no one says anything. Most people in the crowd don't know a good bass player from a bad one, so you kind of get used to being in the back and unnoticed.
orange juice

Hmmm... I'm one of those bassists that gets noticed, I just have this habit of getting all the attention. I don't think about it, I just do what comes naturally. Basically I put everything into my playing and probably because I'm a relatively extrovert personality that tends to come across to the audience. Also I'm loud, I have a punchy, growly tone and I don't always play what's expected.

One thing that I sometimes do is play fills at people in the audience, just catch their eye, make sure they're focused on you and then (when it fits musically) throw a badass fill right at them without losing eye contact for a second! Then I turn around and go back to grooving away with the drummer.

*If* you want to be noticed, just relax and express yourself through the music. (It also helps to occasionally step closer to the front of the stage but don't break your 'link' with the drummer).

Alex

Archived