Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XLR Cords

Bisgit

Wondering if anyone has ever tried to make a bass with a built in DI, or wired one up using xlr jacks instead of 1/4 plugs.
you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know about bass, but in the 50's and 60's, Gibson made a Les Paul model called the Studio that had balanced pickups and used an XLR output. I think it was designed to be plugged straight into a mic preamp and recorded direct, no amp.
-Matt M

I'm assuming you mean if any of us, ourselves, personally has done this. In that case, I'm no use to you! :(

More generally, though, I believe that Wal, Alembic, and Overwater are all manufacturers who do a nice job of it.

:thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The bass you're refering to is the Les Paul Recording Bass. It was first built in the late sixties. Mine originally began life as a six string. I cant imagine how someone would've played it because the strings are extremely close togather.It does in fact have an XLR balenced output,it weighs almost 14 lbs and sounds like nothing else!

I also have a Les Paul Recording bass that I bought in 1972 (I think). It does not have a XLR output, but it does have low impedance pickups and a impedance switch that you can change from high to low. I adapted a microphone cord, (soldered the hot and the neutral together), and plugged this into a Shure impedance transformer into my Ampeg B15. It sounded clearer and more detailed running low impedance. But I wanted to play rock and roll and sold the B15 (I kick myself every day :eek: ) BTW, those new microphone cords with the low oxygen content sound sooo much better than the other kind, I used them exclusively now. Especially from my DI to the board.
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Archived