Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin R1000 Volume

Metal_Boy16

I just got the Carvin RL1018 package deal (R1000 head, 4x10", 1x18"). I hook it up bi-amp always. The tone is great. My problem: power and volume! When I put the power amps at 10, the input at 0, and the master volume at 10, it sounds only a little louder and fuller than my Fender BXR 100 watt 15" Combo. With the 4 ohm and 8 ohm enclosures, the amp is pushing 575 watts total, which is almost six times the power of my combo! I know I have everything hooked-up right, nothing is blown or broken, and I'm not clipping it. I have the EQ set flat. Am I overlooking some HUGE detail or problem? Why is this 1000 watt head thats pushing 575 watts sounding like its only a 200 watt? I have heard 400-500 watt Gallien-Krueger, SWR, and Ampeg heads sound 10 times as loud as this.
"If only I had HIS chops!"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Metal_Boy13:

When I put the power amps at 10, the input at 0, and the master volume at 10, it sounds only a little louder and fuller than my Fender BXR 100 watt 15" Combo.

Is that a typo? If the input gain is at 0, that 's your problem.

The best way, IMO, to set your gain structure, is to have your volume at the bass up all the way (passive bass) or almost all the way (active bass), then your input gain as high as you can set it without clipping (and check which input jack you're using, since the "active" jack will shave a little off the strength of the signal from your bass), and then adjust the power amp volumes to taste.

Assuming it's a typo, make sure you've got everything connected properly for biamp operation, and check your crossover frequency. You can probably set the crossover at a pretty low frequency with that set-up since the 4x10 on top probably covers a pretty large freq range effectively.

And really, check the "dumb" stuff. We all make stupid mistakes sometimes setting up our gear -- like forgetting to turn up the volume on our instrument, having a mute switch down for tuning, etc.

Let us know what shakes out.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Explaination to first two replies:

I knew someone would question that. No it is not a typo. The Carvin has seperate power amp controls (hi and low bi-amp), master volume, and input. The input is almost like an EQ on this amp. Setting it at 12 o'clock is like setting it at 5. It goes from -12 to +12. So setting it at -12 is like the "0" and setting it at +12 is like "10". Setting it above 0 is more likely to clip.

Note since posting my topic:

I had the built-in compressor turn all the way full. On this amp, that means the compressor knob full and the thresh-hold/ratio knob full, too. I did this at first because I didn't want to clip my first bass stack a whole lot. Just before replying to the first two replies, I turned all the compression knobs to 0, and VOILA! It sounded like a stack! I am an IDIOT. Hold on I'm gonna slam my bare-feet in between the nearest door (not my hands, because I like playing my bass!) jk. Would this compressor set on full take my volume down A LOT? I still feel underpowered; maybe its just me. Anything else I'm missing?

"If only I had HIS chops!"

Adjust each knob individually one at a time, and get a feel as to what they (may unexpectedly) do.
These words, are sledgehammers of truth.

I have the same head, but I don't bi-amp. I run it in bridged-full mode, and have had no poblems with power or volume... even with the compressor (although I don't max it as you did,) in fact, I have yet to turn it up over 3, even for a (small) outdoor gig... and I also keep my input at 0...(read '12 o clock') or lower... my P-J has hotter pickups so I turn the input down to -1 or -2.

I have run it bi-amped a couple of times with my Avatar 4x10 and a 1x18, both ±400W at 8 ohms, and although I do notice a slight drop in volume, it is not anywhere close to what you are describing.

Check the forums at Carvin.com for info, there are quite a few threads on the Redline amps.

That amp is so versatile, tone-wise that you might consider running in bridged-full mode and use the EQ... that's what I do, and it works and sounds great.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I just sold the same head. The head is PLENTLY loud.

Run it full-range stereo with your set up (4 ohm 18" and 8 ohm 4x10"). While the 18 isn't produce much above 2 kHz, you're robbing the 4x10" of the low end it can produce. I think the 4x10" is crossed-over at 2.5 kHz, meaning the 10" speakers are producing sound up to that point. Okay, enough mumbo-jumbo! Run 'em full, it usually sounds better!

i wouldn't be so afraid of clipping if i were you. amps don't like being clipped for long periods of time, but i think you can handle clipping a little in the name of exploring the capabilities of your amp.

and i think it's really important that you understand that clipping the preamp is not the problem that clipping the power amp is. it's a pretty regular technique in metal (what do you think the dirty channel of a marshall amp is doing?)

in other words, don't just turn your master volume up to 11! set it low and play with the input gain until you get the sound you want, and then turn up the master volume. turn it up until you get clipping and then realize you shouldn't go that loud. turn it back a bit and never go past that point. you shouldn't have a problem with that.

now go make your ears bleed.

robb.

Archived