Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hip-hop bass!

_Sweet Willie_

His name is in Willie's original post, but I'm going to mention Pino Palladino again. The stuff he plays on d'Angelo's Voodoo is awesome.
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me - I know Pino spent a lot of time recording for this album, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that none of it made it on to the final album? Perfectly happy to be corrected on this (I don't know the album at all well).

Saw The Roots in the summer and the bass playing was indeed excellent. I'd also put in a word for some of the playing on "The Miseducataion Of Lauryn Hill", although I don't know who is playing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bc:

I'd also put in a word for some of the playing on "The Miseducataion Of Lauryn Hill", although I don't know who is playing.

I know that Tom Barney is responsible for some of it. At the very least he played the great'n'groovy, muy tasty 5-string line for the track "Every Ghetto, Every City". Stewart Zender is also listed in the credits, as well as a couple of other bassists.

Also, the only bass player credited on the D'Angelo Voodoo CD is Pino, although Charlie Hunter (who plays that hybrid guitar/bass) gets a nod as well. Go here for info about the album according to allmusic.com.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Okay, so I know I like the bass playing and overall music and stuff from the following:

A Tribe Called Quest

Mos Def

Talib Kweli

Outkast

The Roots

Lauryn Hill

Now, what are some other Hip-Hop albums would you recommend, as a bassist, either for the bass lines or otherwise?

Thanks.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Originally posted by Lawnmower8:

Okay, so I know I like the bass playing and overall music and stuff from the following:

A Tribe Called Quest

Mos Def

Talib Kweli

Outkast

The Roots

Lauryn Hill

Now, what are some other Hip-Hop albums would you recommend, as a bassist, either for the bass lines or otherwise?

Thanks.

I'd add Jurassic 5 and Blackalicious

You'd benefit from a historical trip to visit some earlier hip-hop:

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Sugar Hill Gang

Run DMC

Kurtis Blow

Kool Moe Dee

KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions

Eric B and Rakim

You could also hit related music like Jamaican dance hall.

If you're really trying to broaden your hip-hop/rap experience and knowledge, it's probably worth investigating some early gangsta rap, like N.W.A. Personally I'm not a fan, but if you're really after broadening your understanding of what's out there in the world of hip-hop/rap and its development, you can't ignore it.

In the early 90s I was also diggin' on De La Soul (e.g. the album Three Feet High and Rising). You might also want to check out The Goats for a mix of left-wing politics and praise of the "mystic" herb. For some good-natured fun there's always Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride II, which includes a great track chock full o' "yo mama" jokes.

Peace.

spreadluv

How about Too Short - Get in where you fit in has some cool bass lines. Plus you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about pimpin b*&$#es and mackin h*&s.

I always thought Redman was pretty solid too.

If you are just looking for beats try DJ Shadow

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by DJRaz:

whoever is laying down the bass tracks for outkast - synth or real - is funky as hell.

---

DJ Raz

http://wfnk.com

.::. the funk supersite .::.

Real bass is usually Preston Crump.
I had to see for myself after listening to the newest outkast release who was providing the basslines.. and I came up with this

a lady by the name of debra killings is the bassist for a suprisingly large amount of rappers... I was kinda shocked to tell the truth...

Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

Originally posted by Ayatollah Watts:

a lady by the name of debra killings is the bassist for a suprisingly large amount of rappers... I was kinda shocked to tell the truth...

Debra Killings is a gospel artist who resides in Atlanta. There's a one-page story about her in the current issue of BP Mag. (Well, more accurately, there's a half-page of text, and half-page picture).

I really need to listen to some more OutKast...

spreadluv

• 2 years later...

Timely, indeed.

Back to the subject. My hip-hop knowledge is very lacking. I was one of those guys who stood by in shock as Sir Mix-a-lot and later Dr. Dre started outselling Winger and Whitesnake (I'm not proud).

All the sampling kind of left me feeling that live music was dying. I never really saw it as an art form. And I still have trouble with it. The Roots and Outkast appeal to me.

I own an original pressing of the Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight". This is part of the extensive disco collection left over from when my parents were disco dance teachers in the late 70's. There is one helluva lot of tasty bass history in those boxes of LP's.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived