Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hip-hop bass!

_Sweet Willie_

Anybody notice who plays bass on Talib Kweli's latest hip-hop/rap CD "Quality"? No? Well, I'll give you the scoop -- there are three badass cats laying down the low end on that CD -- Eric Coomes, Doug Wimbish, and Pino Palladino. I like to think that those righteous players are doin' it because Talib Kweli is, in my personal opinion, one of the more thoughtful, socially conscious brothers rhymin'. On the other hand, Kweli may just be in the know about who can bring some sweet bassin' to his tracks (don't know why he didn't call me?!).

Additionally, Tom Barney's laid it down for Lauryn Hill. Ron Carter did some magic for a track on A Tribe Called Quest's "The Low End Theory." Preston Crump does alright for some of our hip-hoppers from down south. Full-time Roots member, Hub, does a fine job with his Fender and some URB for that Philly hip-hop outfit.

Anyway, as a hip-hop fan and bass player, I'm happy to see these collaborations between rap artists and some serious bass players.

OK, now I'll open it up for comments. I'm particularly interested to hear about some other bassists who've been laying down funky lines for rappers. We've moved past "two turntables and a microphone"...

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely dig the bass line for En Vogue's "Love Won't Take Me Out." I think it's synth bass, because nobody is credited on the album for bass guitar. So since a few people are credited for keyboard programming, and two guys are credited for "guitar," it could be any of a number of them.

Nevertheless, I dig it!

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Let's not forget Doug Wimbish's hip-hop ground-laying work with the Sugar Hill Gang. He was like the Jamerson of that scene.

Duh. Good call, Loy.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Don't forget Raphael Saadiq.

Double duh. Another good call. Thanks, Jeremy!

Peace.

spreadluv

How about that cat that used to play for Jamiroquai, Stuart Zender. That guy played some tasty stuff.

..of course, there was Flea playing on 'Bust a Move'. I need to 'appropriate' that song from the internet so I can work out that line. As I recall, it was rather catchy. Good sound check song, it will give me something to play besides 'Groove Is In The Heart'. :D Which brings me to Bootzilla... Bootsy played on all that Dee Lite album, I believe.

Astronomical, baby!

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Don't remember who it was with, but saw Ron Carter once on TV playing with a hip-hop group.

Wally

Might've been A Tribe Called Quest. Particularly if it was around 1991-92. He played one track on their album "The Low End Theory" (referred to above) that came out around them.

spreadluv

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Don't remember who it was with, but saw Ron Carter once on TV playing with a hip-hop group.

Wally

Might've been A Tribe Called Quest. Particularly if it was around 1991-92. He played one track on their album "The Low End Theory" (referred to above) that came out around them.
Willie, may have been the one although I just saw this last year.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Wally

Willie, may have been the one although I just saw this last year.

Wally

I believe that was Guru's Jazzamataz volume 1 or 2 that Ron Carter played on. That was a good mix of hip hop jazz or jazzy hip hop.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by RobT:

I believe that was Guru's Jazzamataz volume 1 or 2 that Ron Carter played on. That was a good mix of hip hop jazz or jazzy hip hop.

Good call, RobT. I know for sure he was on that ATCQ offering, but I bet you're right about Guru's too. Back to allmusic.com!

spreadluv

OK, I didn't see Ron Carter in the credits for either Jazzmatazz album, Vol. 1 or 2. However, MeShell N'Dgeocello and Stuart Zender have bass credits on those discs. I'm glad you brought them up, RobT, 'cause those were cool CDs. I also dug Guru's work w/ Gang Starr.

Peace.

spreadluv

• 4 weeks later...
raphael saadiq! hub! tightest grooves...i dig the laid back hiphop bass feel..the bassline kinda ghosts the snare at certain points. I think it originated from badly sequenced bass loops in old school hiphop??? anyway now its the sound. anyone know what im talkin about? either way these cats can hold it down.

Hub was the first guy who came to mind. I've really been digging on The Roots lately and downloading some live stuff from here . The "You Got Me" from San Diego 09/07/02 goes through so many different styles; the guys in the band are better musicians than they're given credit for (I wonder if many people outside the Okayplayer crew know the names of people in the band).

Christian McBride did an album with ?uestlove & Uri Caine called "The Philadelphia Experiment." Neal Evans from Soulive has a mean left-hand bass on organ and a Roland (I think?) synth on Next; Talib and Black Thought do some rhymes on that album. Whoever played bass on Mos Def's "Umi Says" is tight too (might have been Pino).

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by Ayatollah Watts:

Hub from the Roots is a highly decent bass player, i seen'em in concert live and his solo caught me by suprise...

Yeah I like The Roots and Hub too. They lay down a real nice groove. ?uestlove's drumming is always in the pocket.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

His name is in Willie's original post, but I'm going to mention Pino Palladino again. The stuff he plays on d'Angelo's Voodoo is awesome.

I bought this record because I have been a fan of Pino's for many years. And of course his playing here doesn't sound anything at all like the fretless playing he originally became famous for.

As an aside, I consider someone to be a great bassist when they can sound good playing any kind of music with anyone. When a student asks me about somebody "are they good?" if it is someone whose entire career has been playing with one band, I say I don't know, let me know when they play something different than the one style they are known for.

Pino blew me away when I heard the Voodoo album.

Paul Young, Jeff Beck, and D'Angelo? Now that's a resume!

As an aside, I consider someone to be a great bassist when they can sound good playing any kind of music with anyone.

I'll pick up on that "aside" for a quick minute.

I think that's a good point. I think a lot of the folks we admire do exactly that -- they can play a variety of styles of music with a variety of artists and do it really well. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine to excel in only one or two genres and the skills demonstrated there should not be discounted, but it really says something when a musician can cover a lot of ground on a lot of styles.

Pino is definitely a fine example of that.

spreadluv

What about bassists (or any musician) who can cover lots of stylistic ground within the context of one band? For example, J.V. Collier, the bassist in Bruce Hornsby's band, on any given night must be able to cover pop, rock, funk, jazz, folk and bluegrass.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Excellent point!

I also like to hear bassists who can click with a variety of drummers, not just the one guy who's been in the one band that they play with.

I loved the way Marcus Miller grooved with the late Yogi Horton, but of course Marcus does not seem to have any problem grooving with anyone.

In a completely unrelated aside, I would like to hear Geddy Lee play with someone else other than Neal Peart. His solo album doesn't count....he played to samples, drum loops and tracks created by a few drummers....he didn't actually play with an actual person standing next to him.

As an aside, I consider someone to be a great bassist when they can sound good playing any kind of music with anyone. When a student asks me about somebody "are they good?" if it is someone whose entire career has been playing with one band, I say I don't know, let me know when they play something different than the one style they are known for.

I would agree with this most of the time. Jamerson brought his unique voice to many different groups...still sounds like him, even when adapting. Jaco does too.

There are some guys who are known for carrying thier group, though that I would call great. Entwhistle comes to mind. Timothy B. Schmidt also does.

On the other hand, would John Paul Jones or Bill Wyman be another groups first call? I know that Wyman's lines are good, I'm not sure he wrote them. Both these guys filled their role in these unique bands (so did McCartney...could he have played Lee Sklar's datebook?) What about Flea?

Darryl Jones said, in his BP interview, that the Stones were becoming better players after he was in the band a while. There's something to that; a good bass player forces everyone around him to get better.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Ron Carter also played with French rapper MC Solaar on the "Stolen Moments: Red Hot and Cool" compilation a few years ago.

One of my favorite playing moments was backing a local hip-hop outfit a few months ago. The band ran through some well-known sample sources while the MC's freestyled over us. If I could ever get the tapes from that . . .

• 4 months later...

Archived