Jump to content

Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Rana Ross


Recommended Posts

I figured she deserved her own thread - plus this

from her husband quoted from "The Bottom Line"



Subject: Rana Ross


I played bass for many years until I met Rana in 1987 at BIT in Hollywood.

We got married in 1988, and I stopped playing professionally around 1990 to support her career as much as I could.


Hi All,


(John Ross, Rana's husband, asked me to post this for him. He got many emails from TBLers who asked about Rana, since her illness was a surprise to many, and so many were saddened by her passing. This is from John:)


To give you an idea of what she overcame over the years we were married on Sept 8th, 1988 but - before she would allow me to marry her - she went

to have an AIDS test done. She grew up in Brooklyn, NY and spent a wild time

(sex, drugs and rock & roll) during the late 70's/early 80's. She stopped the wild side around 1982 but it was too late. The HIV test came back

positive in 1988 and at that time it was a death sentence with no drugs available to treat the disease.

I talked her into marrying me anyway, because it's the person that you love, not the disease. I was and remain HIV negative, and in fact never had any fear of contracting the virus from her - can't explain it, but somehow I knew that she would never pass it to me.


The medications that eventually came out over the years worked for her, but it was like taking chemo-therapy year after year. One result was the

erosion of the sheaths that cover the nerves in her feet and hands, developing

into a diabetic-like peripheral neuropathy. She described it as feeling like someone has driven red hot nails into her feet and sent her walking

across hot coals. How she performed and danced on stage I'll never know, but she never missed a step. Know one knew that many times I literally had to carry her to the car from the pain, but she would never allow this to interfere

with her career or jeopardize any band's performance. She was amazing like that - and how she played when her hands were so numb that she couldn't feel the strings I'll never understand, but she did it and only very very rarely

missed a note. She was a consummate performer.


Over the last 7 years she has been in and out of various hospitals over 50 times, but never once did she miss a performance, regardless of how ill

she felt.


Last year we found out that she had Hep C, which caused the cirrhosis of the liver that eventually killed her. Basically, the decomposed liver allowed blood to back up into the inflowing veins, which caused bleeding in the abdomen and stomach. Unknown to us she was bleeding internally over the weekend and collapsed on Monday. She was taken to the hospital ER where

she coded, but they brought her back to life - comatose. That was always her biggest fear, to be on life support.


I went against her wishes and told the doctors to do everything they could to keep her alive so that her family, who are all on the east coast,

time to get out here to Los Angeles. I felt that her mother had to have a chance to say goodbye to her daughter, there was no way I was going to not allow that to happen.


She had several cardiac and pulmonary arrests, the last one very severe.

That was the day I had to insist that she be taken off life support. She passed easily, opening her eyes and looking at everyone in the room and squeezing the hands of those holding onto her and simply stopped breathing.

For the first time in months she looked peaceful. No more pain, hospitals,doctors, needles, medication. It was simply time for her to rest. She had told me many times over the last few months that she was tired of fighting

and being in constant pain, and that the only reason she was fighting and staying with us was she was afraid to leave me alone. Her body started to shut down after I held her for hours, telling her over and over that I love her and if she wants to fight I'll be right along side her all the way but that I know she's tired and that I'll be OK if she wants to stop the battle.

I think I finally got through to her, convinced her that I'd be OK and please not to stay in pain for me. I told her it's OK to just let go,

and her body started to shut down - kidneys, etc.


I hope she gets the long rest that she deserves so much. But my God, I miss her so much my bones ache.



John Ross




I urge you to check out her site :


Rana Ross

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my prayers go out to her family and that brave man whose heart has broken- that is beyond sad....

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:


for His glory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read this on TBL and sure brought out the emotions. I did not know Rana but she seemed like the ultimate professional and had great support from her lifetime partner, her husband John Ross.



I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had only just heard about her myself...

Then came the TBL post and I felt it was important

to share it. Reminds me (and I am sure many of

you)about how lucky we are to have our health

(more or less - I have had some minor symptoms of

diabetic neuropathy - but NOTHING like what

her meds treatments gave her) - and the chance to

keep on keeping on - doing what we love.

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noel Redding, now Rana Ross.....


I hope these things really don't come in threes.


Blessings to her and her family.



"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...