Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hello ... jambands ... and first songs played

DigiVoices

Jam bands... not a fan. I despise The Grateful Dead and Phish with a burning passion. According to my friends in college that were HUGELY into this scene, they were supposedly 'the best'. Faaking meandering solos that last for 17 days while people drop acid and do interpretive dances to the aforementioned meandering.

I'll have to check out some of the bands that BenLoy mentioned. I'm all for long improvs, I just can't stand listening to them when they don't go anywhere.

First bassline was either the opening bit of "Day Tripper" or "Chameleon". The bass player in our jazz band at school showed me "Chameleon" and my father showed me how to play "Day Tripper". I honestly can't remember which one I learned first, but I do recall playing them for approximately forever. Must have bugged the hell out of my parents. :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really into Jam Bands much, I like some of the Dead's stuff, but only as long as I don't have to deal with Deadheads.

First bass line I ever learned was also Money. Still play it almost daily, too.

~Shivall

Is this real? I've wondered before if this could happen. Nasty.

One thing for sure though, Unbreathable Toxic Vapor and Chemical Sponge Bath are excellent names for any aspiring rock band. :thu:

Originally posted by Bastid E:

THIS is just too funny and appropriate.

:D:D That owns. I love The Onion. Check out the Hubert Kornfeld archives for some incredibly amusing stuff.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Are Bump and Shivall twins?

Wally

Hmmm... perhaps. My past is shrouded in secrecy and often times, while sleeping, I have strange visions of operating rooms and military-types hoovering over me.

The first bassline I ever learned... that would have to have been Brain Stew by Green Day!

AA GG F#F# FF EE ooover and ooover again, all on the E string :D

well ok, it's meant to be tuned to Eb but who can be bothered downtuning when you're just starting out?

Come as you are by Nirvana followed pretty soon after that. I don't really play either, unless my band feels like playing them.

Joe

Dreams are made winding through my head

I myself love jam bands. I would say that yes I would certainly agree that sometime the jams go to long or don't go anywhere at all, but thats what happens when bands are willing to take a risk. Which these bands do. Is it always gonna work, of coarse not. I play in a Funk/Jam band and its not always gonna go well in a jam but a lot of time the jams go somewhere really cool. You don't know where you're going most of the time but when you get there and its really groovin hard its one of the best experiences a musician can have IMO. Plus, as a bass player it really lets you expaned your playing options not just your 1 4 5 crap. I would also have to say a jam band can't really be judged on a CD, it really all about the live experience. But thats just how I feel.

I'm open to lots of music but I have to say hell yeah! to when jam bands make that moment! You have to listen to everyone pretty close to make those moments happen. I respect the style though I don't normally play it. I saw the Disco Biscuits recently and posted my appreciation but didn't get no love. I've seen the Dead once and Phish twice and I've seen the Other Ones. I've seen jam bands, rock, folk, bluegrass, metal, funk, hip hop, hardcore, punk, and blues and others styles I can't remember and it doesn't matter. My first riff? I don't remember. :confused: Anyways that Onion article is pretty damn funny! :)
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Well, I'm not really into the Dead or Phish or the so-called "patchouli" bands.

The bands I like that I still consider jam bands are a little more rockin':

Gov't Mule

Allman Brothers Band

Blues Traveller

Black Crowes

I can almost guarantee you've never heard of these cats, but check them out:

Chris Colepaugh and the Cosmic Crew

They're on the verge of big things and we snagged an opening gig with them May 31!

First song was either The Chain by Fleetwood Mac or Hey Joe by Hendrix.

Archived