Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strange string arrangements.

Cup

Personally, I'm very conservative with string selection. E A D G, the recommended gauge, metal type etc. But I remember a guy who used to play in a band with my brother who mixed and matched metals and gauges. E would be steel heavy gauge (for slapping) higher strings were whatever he felt was better for himself. I'm not sure of the effect this had on his neck (of the bass) but I do remember it was terrible to play in my hands.

This guy could play like a demon, probably the 2nd most talented musician (I don't use that description lightly) I've ever seen play. Unfortunately he had talent but lacked committment, he's now on the dole (welfare handouts).

Have any of you tried this sort of experimenting, if so did it change your sound by a massive degree?

Thanx. CupMcMali... :freak:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once played a bass with groundwound E and A strings and stainless steel roundwound D and G strings. Had the nice effect of making the low strings warmer and lower sounding, and the high strings very bright and sharp. Slides on the lower two strings were also more comfortable. I don't think the sound is for me since there was a significant change in tone from one string to another, which i didn't care for much. It definitely was unique, though.

I haven't a clue what it did to the neck or what the gauges were. I know there are tension differences between rounds, flats, and grounds, but I couldn't tell you to what extent.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I used to mis match strings together, but I was broke and found strings here and there at friends houses, plus I was 14, so I dont remember how it sounded, I was just glad I had a G string.
you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

Oh the disapointment!

Cup, I felt sure that, when opened, this thread would reveal a wonderful revelation on how to score distinctive string arrangements.

Being as I haven't heard a good one since Life On Mars by Bowie and Ronson!

Thirty years have passed and still they haven't been put to better use in rock and roll.

In answer to your intended meaning, this is a somewhat extreme way of personalising your sound, I have tried a similar approach with guitar strings and found the results, at best, patchy.

Unless you have a particular approach, which must be catered for with custom gauges, then save yourself the trouble of re-cutting the nut.

Requires truss adjustments also as neck can warp if incorrectly set. Be Careful!

Well to answer Teahead, I was hoping for a secret formula! But looks like I'll have to experiment for myself. Thing is I'll not try it on my cherished Ric, and when I get my fretless (still awaiting raise) I'll stick with flatwounds for a while.

PJN, you should speak with an experimental Luthier and see if your idea is workable. Bends may be impossible though.

This guy was/is such a talent, it kills me to think he'll never realise his potential. I would have thought his approach would be more popular, yet only Jeremy has seen it on uprights and Hag2 tried it but didn't care for the sound.....Maybe the next Jaco (if he could get out of bed) lives across the road from me.

I should get him under contract now!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Right now I have one of my ABGs strung with TI Acouticores E and A strings (tho tuned to D and A) and then the D and G have been replaced with the G and C from a six string set (also Acouticores), tuned to E and B...this puts my basic tuning in fifths, tho half the set is what my be considered and "altered tenor tuning".

Somtimes the B is tuned to Bb or even A...just to keep things interesting.

It allows for some wide spreads in chordal playing as well as kepps folks wonderin' just what the hewll I am doing!

Some time ago I experimented with using the D and G froma piccolo set mixed with standard E and A strings. Was interesting, but felt very odd.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Wow Max, you've totally lost me there. Strange tunings definitely f%£k me up. It must have took you a long time experimenting to get that set up though.

Thanx CupMcMali...monkey reference :freak:

Archived