Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crossovers.....

Metal_Boy16

I'm getting a Carvin stack (any objections?). I'm gonna give my old Fender BXR 100 to my guitarist till he gets his half stack. How should we hook up my amp to his guitar? He's got a Marshall 15 watt 8 inch. We tried pluggin him up to the Marshall and plugged the BXR's line out to the Marshall's extension speaker jack. It sounded really full, and nice, like a half stack. Will this set-up damage the BXR? If so, could I get a crossover for it to put his lower notes through the BXR and his higher notes through the Marshall? When we turned it up, none of his high notes sounded through the BXR, and only played through the Marshall. Were those higher notes pushing the BXR to high-up? Thanks ahead for any advice/info.
"If only I had HIS chops!"

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, were you plugging a cord into the "extension speaker out" on the marshall amp into the "line in" on the BXR? If so, and the speaker jack is powered, it could seriously hurt your BXR. If the signal coming from the marshall is line level, then it's no problem.

If this is not what you are talking about, please clarify.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Oh sorry. The Marshall was the main amp were the guitar was plugged in. I plugged the extension speaker out on the marshall into the....uh...I forget. It was either the input or the line out. What should I plug it into so I can use the BXR as an extension to the Marshall?
"If only I had HIS chops!"

Well, you really need to check and see if that "extension speaker out" jack is powered or not. On many combos, the extension speaker jack is powered, so it can power an external cabinet. If you pump that much power into the BXR line or instrument jack (doesn't matter which) you could seriously damage it.

If, however, the signal is line level (unpowered), you should hook it up to the line in or "return" jack of the effects loop. It should sound best that way.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Archived