Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Front porch hootenanny circa 1945

Talking with a friend yesterday who is much older than me. He related that he was raised on a certain farm. I was floored; it was next to my Grandpa's farm. I never knew that and I've known him for 25 years. I mentioned playing guitar and piano and he started talking about when he was young how they didn't have much to entertain them. And how his mom played guitar and his uncle played fiddle and other neighbors would join in and they would gather up and their entertainment was a hootenanny. I didn't think to ask him what songs they played. What would you think they would play back then? Maybe there's a list online of old songs like that. BTW, anyone remember the TV rock/pop show back in the 60s, "Hootenanny?" There was also "Shindig."

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's still going on today, Duke. I've been the guest at a few "Family Jams" here in Missouri. A lot of old time standards, some bluegrass-ish, many with a Gospel twinge. "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" type stuff. Matter of fact, probably a lot of "O Brother Where Art Thou" type of tuneage.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Okay, we've got two. "Will The Circel Be Unbroken"... I started to use that as an example, Tedster. "Rocky Top"... how could I forget? What is that old Carter Family tune? "Wildflower" or "Wildwood Flower" or is that last one a parody? Anyway, it has that signature guitar riff. Fun to play. "Amazing Grace"... I have that on a movie soundtrack "The Maverick" and it is a kickass gospel version. Very uptempo. It's great. Gosh, when did Hank Williams start recording? "Muleskinner Blues?" There is bound to be a list of these old ones. Definitely would be country / gospel / bluesy / bluegrassy.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

As a very novice old-time fiddler myself, here's a list of some classic tunes: Soldier's Joy Arkansas Traveler Timpy Bragg's Retreat Sailor's Hornpipe Fisher's Hornpipe McLoud's Reel Barbara Allen Polly Sweet Polly Lorena Bill Cheatum Wildwood Flower Wayfaring Stranger Dixie Orange Blossom Special (the grandaddy of all fiddle tunes!) My Old Kentucky Home Hard Times Come Again No More Walking Sweet Nelly Home And the list could go on and on and on.... And even yet--they could have played acoustic versions of old-time blues songs (ala Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Charlie Patton, Blind Boy Jefferson, and so on)---depends on the region and the race of the players. BD
"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Archived