Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fretless, yes another one.....a lighter option?

Cup

Friends, Romans....err. Yeah, another fretless question. As usual, I've tried the search but nothing along this line came up.

Long story short. Well, I'm due a raise in work and would love to develope my arsenal and technique. a fretless seems the obvious way to go. It's not something I intend to introduce to my band situation, just a stay at home playmate if you like.

The only option,both money wise and all round playability is a MIM jazz. BUT I hate heavy basses. As soon as I strap one on I feel so stagnant, no freedom etc, etc. My only other thought was a hollow/semi hollow body bass. The only model I can think of, is a sort of Gibson classic model(the gorgeous ones with the f hole).

Questions...How much, how rare, how playable...umm, do they even exist?

Thanx in advance.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be a baby... you can carry the MIM fretless Jazz. Yer a big, strong feller. C'mon...

Besides, you said you weren't gonna play shows with it anyway.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've had many a raise in work, but I've always preferred a raise in pay. ;)

Godin makes an acoustic/electric fretless that looks lovely. So too does Carvin (but maybe tricky on your side of the pond?). The thing with hollow fretless basses, though, is that they'll sound quite different from solid-body fretlesses--less of that "electric" bass sound & a bit more of an "upright" sound (this is, of course, just a generalization).

I myself play a Music Man Sterling fretless. It has a smallish body of ash, & when I got it I couldn't believe how slight & light it felt (I too play a Ric, btw); it also has a really great electric fretless sound, & is quite versatile. It also might be pretty spendy in Europe, but maybe the thing to do is look for something with a slender body & lighter weight wood, like ash (which also sounds great).

That, & stop being a baby. :D

I'll second dcr.

A Musicman Sterling is a nice fretless, I like mine.

The Godin Acoustibass is a really cool instrument.

If you want to spend some serious bucks try a Viellette.

Steve Azola makes a nice acoustic electric fretless.

And you can always get an Ashbory. It weighs about 2 lbs.

Or sit on a stool while you play.

Fenders vary tremendously in weight, try some more out, if that's what you want.

well I would reccommend scouring the shope for a great used frettless, with EPOXY! I went to nowhere, North Carolina and found this wonderful Ibanez road star bass made in '86 that had bartolini pickups and a quarter inch of epoxy on the neck. it sounded like no other bass I have ever heard. I dropped it down a whole step and a half, put some roundwound elixers on it and all in all paid 200 bucks. its incredable and origional, search and ye shall find. try playing a frettless with a whole step and a half drop on new roundwounds, its like nothing else.
you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

My Peavey Axcellerator is a pretty light bass, lighter than my Samick SB5PJ1 anyways. I got mine used for about $200

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Dcr, a raise in pay is what I meant ;) If there's more heavy lifting involved I'll be able to sling an upright around my neck soon enough!

I've always thought the MM were even heavier than Fenders. I also wasn't aware that the weight of guitars of the same model varied!

Godin? I'll do a search. I've never seen one in Ireland or the U.K before, so they may be like Carvin, which are hard to find here.

The handy thing with the MIM Fender, is that, like anyone wanting to try fretless playing, I'm full of reservations. A fender would be easy to sell on, or replace the neck to a fretted.

p.s I'm 5 foot 5" tall and a skinny little fella, off course I prefer light guitars :)

Thanx. Cup :freak:

Archived