Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

And now for something far more sinister

[url=http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html]This is frightening...[/url] :eek: There is a certain truth to the title though...
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is obviously absurd - so theres a reasonable chance our legislature could make it may happen. Im sure the "content providers" are just looking out for the rights of the songwriters, screenwriterr et.al. on whose backs they live and whom they generally screw as viscously as possible. They may also be protecting us from foreign terrorist plots to pass secret messages - yeah that's the ticket. On the other hand, how do we know its not a ploy by the gear manufacturers to ceate demand for their un-protected gear ahead of the expected change? (I read that there was a spike in gun show sales when it appeared these might be outlawed.) Just think the value of our current gear will skyrocket - we'll all be rich. This is a virtual goldmine!! Maybe I've just seen too many Oliver Stone movies. I just hope I die before those full body xray scanners are everywhere. The sixties would never have happened if this technology came earlier. We'd all be in the slammer.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Here's a place to use as a jumping off point to do something about it: [url=http://www.digitalconsumer.org/faq.html]Click Here...[/url]

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

FWIW...Colin Powell is a major stockholder in AOL/Time Warner. His kid is the FCC commissioner, who seems to be making a LOT of rulings in favor of media consolidation... California tried many years ago to pass a law requiring that all digital audio recording devices have some kind of copy-protection chip (this was during the height of DAT paranoia, which as we all know, was well-justified -- I see pirated DAT tapes EVERYWHERE, don't you?). Anyway, digital gear also couldn't be sold without it. I called up the head of the committee sheparding the law through the legislature, and asked if he realized that phone answering machines and musical instruments recorded digital audio. He didn't. Enough people bitched about the stupidity of it all ("Hi, would you like to buy my second-hand Emax?" "I can't, it doesn't have a copy protection chip!") that the law was scuttled. But this time, who knows? Let's face it, corporations, not legislative bodies, are calling the shots when it comes to passing laws.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]FWIW...Colin Powell is a major stockholder in AOL/Time Warner. His kid is the FCC commissioner, who seems to be making a LOT of rulings in favor of media consolidation... [/b][/quote]not to split hairs (heirs), but nobody but Ted Turner is a "major" stockholder in AOL-TW. Parsons is chummy with the Bush White House and was considered a candidate for a cabinet level post.

Archived