Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chris Squire's Fish

Dan South

I just picked up a remastered copy of Yes' Fragile album. Listening to "The Fish" pumped in headphones is a revelation. This song is unique in the rock lexicon, as far as I can tell. Drums, vocals, and bass only. Bass with wah wah. Bass with distortion. Bass melodies. Bass chords that sound kind of like electric piano. Somebody should come up with some more bass-only tunes like this. The Fish ROCKS (and so does Chris)!!!

:thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so tell me something I _don't_ know... :D:D

Yeah, man, I have the remaster of Fragile as well and it sounds absolutely amazing. What a great band and a great album.. most think that is really their crowning achievement overall; I definately rank it right up there with my other favorites from Yes: Relayer, Close to the Edge, and the Yes Album. Brilliant performances.

Close to the Edge was a favorite- great, great songs.. later, Relayer blew me away - Patrick Moraz brought the band to a new level . I gotta get that on cd- but there was a tune, I believe it was called Gates of Delirium that was amazing- i even have the solo stuff from them on vinyl - I enjoyed the Anderson and Squire solo records. Great stuff , guys..

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

It was the early 70's when I heard those first Yes songs. I was blown away. I was shocked by Chris' bass playing. I was totally intimidated and then I got depressed, quit my band, and joined the Air Force. :o

It took me two years to recover. Then while I was still in the Air Force stationed in Germany I bought anther bass and started all over again. :cool:

So, when I read your message, I thought about running downstairs and picking out that CD and listening to it, but I got a little scared. Whati if it happened to me all over again :freak: !?!

At least I am too old to run off and enlist this time ;)

HypnoBassMan

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

When I first heard "Roundabout", I remember commenting to a friend about the cool Clavinet part I thought Wakeman was playing. He said "that's not a keyboard, that the BASS!"

Whoa.

I saw Yes last November for the ump-teenth time. On one tune, it was unusual to hear him using a Lakland Bob Glaub, but still sounding just like himself. "The Fish" turned into a lengthy bass solo medley that included the licks from "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" and "Tempus Fugit", among others. Chris Squire still has it.

I went to my first Yes concert in 1974 when I was fifteen. I had been playing bass for about 2 years, mostly James Gang, Zepplin, Cream and the like. Chris Squire became a bass god to me... I started saving up my nickels and dimes for a Ric... Still have it.

BTW, the Yes symphonic live DVD Rocks. Its Yes at their finest.

I always liked the Fragile version, but the really awesome one is the live one from Yessongs. I learned most of it on my EB3 back in the day. it was the first really challenging thing I learned how to play on the bass. I can feel those minor 7th and minor 9th chords under my fingers this very minute.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Damn, I thought we were all different, but there sure are a lot of commonalities.

I 1st saw them in 1974 (11 times since).

I thought the Roundabout part was a keyboard.

The Yessongs Roundabout was what I played.

I did buy a Ric (sold and never replaced it)

Gates of Delerium is incredible.

Get the Symphonic DVD (no regrets).

I've been to Germany many times.

Except:

I stayed in the band and played many Yes tunes.

I didn't join the Air Force.

They are a great band. I even bought a steel for the Steve Howe/Gilmour kind of things.

I'm not familiar with much of the Yes material you follks mentioned. I'll have to dig up The Fish and listen. I liked Squire's playing, but sometimes the whole thing was a bit overwhelming. Wondrous Stories, Roundabout,etc. I always loved.

My Yes experience is different. I have their first album. The one that came out in 1969, and had a different guitarist and keyboardist. It was more accessible, and showed how they took the music of their day and made it into Yes music. If you ever see it (I think it's called Yes, and has a band photo at some kind of ruins), give it a try. They did two covers on that album (The Beatles "Every Little Thing" and The Byrds "I See You").

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

I'm not familiar with much of the Yes material you follks mentioned. I'll have to dig up The Fish and listen. I liked Squire's playing, but sometimes the whole thing was a bit overwhelming. Wondrous Stories, Roundabout,etc. I always loved.

My Yes experience is different. I have their first album. The one that came out in 1969, and had a different guitarist and keyboardist. It was more accessible, and showed how they took the music of their day and made it into Yes music. If you ever see it (I think it's called Yes, and has a band photo at some kind of ruins), give it a try. They did two covers on that album (The Beatles "Every Little Thing" and The Byrds "I See You").

Tom

Tom,

The Fish is on Fragile, the same album as Roundabout. It starts as a seque from another song, Long Distance Runaround. You'll hear Long Distance Runaround on classic rock stations from time to time, but they usually cut The Fish off just as it starts - there's no real clean way to do this, because there is absolutely NO silence between the songs. Occasionally, they'll let The Fish play on when Runaround finishes. Those are the days that restore my dimming faith in radio.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dang. You guys are reminding me to get a copy of Close To The Edge and find out what it REALLY sounded like now that I have a set of great speaks.

Last time I heard it, it was on vinyl through a 25-watt Kenwood into EV bookshelf speakers... that had to be something like 1975. Whew.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

Archived