Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need the Blues

Soulquarian

I am a High School senior, and I play for the school choir and Jazz Band. We cover funk, swing, latin, etc. but never blues. The director from the choir asked me to do a bass solo for a transition from one song to another (because the girls need time to change their clothes.) Anyway, I don't know how to spice up my solo. I have a pretty decent foundation, but chords and different riffs are what I want. Can anyone recommend any books/songs/videos/websites that can help me get the Blues? Thanks...

P.S. I have to perform this at a district concert in two days, and then we're traveling to Canada to tour, so immediate replies would be nice. Send them to my email if you could. s.thasoulquarian@verizon.net Thanks again!...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you wanting to do a bass solo, or a blues bass solo? Not much bass soloing goes on in the blues, but it can be done.

If you want to get better at blues in general, listen to BB King, Freddie King, Albert King, Albert Collins, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James...that should keep you busy for a while :D

If you could describe the type of solo you are looking to do in more detail, we'll be able to direct you better.

Yeah,there's usually not a bass solo that goes on during the blues. Try listening to Stevie Ray though, those are the best bass lines out there in blues.

If you were thinking of trying something other than blues, then try doing some John Paul Jones stuff. I always enjoy that, and sometimes I feel like I bring it up too much.

Yeah, cornbread. I was just going to post that same thing.

If it were me, in your situation, I'd definitely play a 12 bar blues walking line. Now, that pre-supposes that you can walk changes.

But, I'll help you out. I'll give you some notes to play. These are quarter notes...avoid giant leaps and follow the direction of the line. Observe the bar lines.

F A C B|Bb D Eb E|

F A Bb B|C D E F|

Bb D Eb E|F G Ab Bb|

A G F Eb|D E F F#|

G F E D| C Bb A G|

F Eb D F#|G Db C E| F---and hold this one.

That is a really simple jazz blues line, playable in half position without shifting.

Now, once you've mastered it...you gotta figure out where the notes come from.

See, this is what I was thinking as I came up with this line:

|F7|Bb7|F7|F7|

Bb7|Bb7|F7|D7|

gm7|C7|am7-dm7|gm7-C7|F (with a fermata)

Now I've got a question. How on earth do you play in a jazz band that doesn't play blues?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I've only been in Jazz Band for 2 years since I primarily play by ear. I thought I wouldn't be able to hang because of the sight reading. I'm decent at it now. It seems like every year we play a lot of one type of music. Last year we played a lot Latin music like Mondongo, Manteca, etc. This year we play Funk pieces like Chimps on the Loose, Spinning Wheel, and Chameleon. We play shuffles and the like though. Come to think of it, we did have a Blues chart. Jefferson Blues, but I didn't play it because the other Bass player was a senior and could read the music better than I could. Thanks for the help guys!

Listen to JPJ during the breakdown on "The Lemon Song" by Led Zep. Goes on and on over 3 chords, and never repeats a damn thing. That boy's good!

Remember the words of Stravinsky: "Good composers borrow, great composers steal."

Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Scootdog:

Listen to JPJ during the breakdown on "The Lemon Song" by Led Zep. Goes on and on over 3 chords, and never repeats a damn thing. That boy's good!

Remember the words of Stravinsky: "Good composers borrow, great composers steal."

Word.

:thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You said "because the girls need time to change their clothes". If you find a 12 bar thing you are comfortable with, you can try doing variations on it if you need to play longer. Also, think about finding a way to change keys along with the variations. If you're doing a solo, you could add an extra bar to play F G A Bb B and start the next 12 bar in C....

Have fun with it!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I was going to suggest the John Paul Jones thing too. I believe that makes it four votes.

Listen to The Lemon Song on Led Zeppelin II. It should give you some ideas of what can be done with a blues bass solo. He is all over the place with impeccable taste.

Archived