Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhythm, Love & Soul

Wally Malone

Anyone else catch Rhythm, Love & Soul on PBS. Some great R&B acts and some good bass playing. The bass player with the Temptations was happening. He did some real tasty stuff with "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" It was really great to hear some vocalist out of the past who are still doing it the way it should be done. Barbara Mason sang "Are You Ready" and just melted me. Billy Paul did "Me and Misses Jones". I just hope that some of the new and young vocal masturbating R&B singers of today are checking out the stylistic quality of the singers who came before them and how good many of those "old school" singers still are.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Anyone else catch Rhythm, Love & Soul on PBS.

Don't have PBS, I'm afraid.

I just hope that some of the new and young vocal masturbating R&B singers of today are checking out the stylistic quality of the singers who came before them and how good many of those "old school" singers still are.
Well said, Wally! The likes of Bouncy Knowles from Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey seem to confuse vocal gymnastics with soulful singing.

Hopefully Norah Jones' success will persuade vocalists to sing passionately without warbling or showing off.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Anyone else catch Rhythm, Love & Soul on PBS.... I just hope that some of the new and young vocal masturbating R&B singers of today are checking out the stylistic quality of the singers who came before them ...Wally

"Masturbating R&B singers"....hehe! It certainly seems that way...and I suppose the same could be said of some instrumentalists, as well (tho' I may catch some flack for that comment!) I'll chalk it up to being an old Motown Native.

Thankfully, the Best still pass the "Test Of Time".

I haven't seen that program, but I'm sure it will surface again soon- Thanks for the "Heads Up"!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Missed it, Wally. Would'a loved it. I knew it was on, though.

I think PBS is just killing themselves with these damn pledge specials. I'm sorry to say, I just can't keep focused on content when I see they break away for as long as 15 minutes. And, I figure they generally will replay it uninterrupted in the next coupla months.

I save my PBS viewing for non-Pledge break times, mostly.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Wally--just what you said.

Sorry to say I missed this one...I got mixed up about when it was on...hopefully I'll catch it later.

The funny thing is that lately I've stopped classifying 60s R&B/motown as "oldies." It's too good, and still plays SO well, to classify it by its age. The other night I caught a minute or so of "Heat Wave" playing in a movie I was watching, and it just hit me: that's one great tune, and Martha Reeves was one brilliant voice. THAT is the real thing!

Caught it...now THAT's music!

I'll shamelessly call everyone's attention to a Saturday morning radio show in the NJ/NY area:

Felix Hernandez's Rhythm Review - 10am-2pm EST on WBGO-FM. For all your rhythm and soul needs!

Go here:

http://www.wbgo.org/programs/rhythmreview.asp

it's also available for your listening pleasure on the Web at:

http://www.wbgo.org

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Archived