Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got mine kicked at a jam session....

Tom Capasso

I've been traveling for work lately. Had a great time jamming with Tedster in KC. We did some blues and rock and mostly stuff I knew and just jammed. I'm thinking I can try to find a jam when I'm away.

This week and next I'm in Pittsburgh. I find a club running a jam last night, and head over. Great looking place - tall ceiling, thick curtains, well decorated, serves food. Great stage, and a dance floor, then the tables. 20 people there, and I sit at a table as close as I can, and sort of opposite the bassist. The band is a bunch of older guys (though the drummer was younger). Drums, bass (Ken Smith 5 bolt-on, linwood body, SVT Pro4, 18"GK cab), piano (looked like a baby grand, or maybe bigger), and trombone (he's the club owner). They have a female singer (who works there) come up sometimes as well.

Anyway, I sit down, and a very pleasant waitress tells me that she doesn't know how the jam works, but she'll speak to the owner. By the time she brings me my ginger ale, I tell her not to bother the owner about me. They're doing jazz and standards, and sound damn good. I don't have the musical vocabulary for that. And I can't see the bassist giving me his Smith (I'm not traveling with a bass).

At the break, I go up to talk to Herb the bassist. Nice guy, and we chat for a while. He tells me I should step up and play (I wouldn't have asked). I say maybe. A family comes up - parents (about my age) and their 17 year old son who plays guitar. We talk, and he's going to bring his stuff next week and we'll try some Stevie Ray Vaughn. Sounds promising...

The band starts up, and I hear Herb tell the boss that there is a bass player who will play tonight. Uh oh. They do some numbers with some people that are friends (a male vocalist and a sax player). An older woman gets up and does a good job with a Gershwin tune. The owner passes by me at one point and asks me if I'll play. Like a jerk I say "sure, maybe a blues tune". Do I have any idea about the protocol or language these guys speak? not a clue....

So they call me up. I ask the male singer (who is sitting at the bar) if he knows Stormy Monday, and he says "no". So I ask the band to pick a blues song, because I think they'll say some song I've heard of. They ask "blues? what key?". What key ?!?!? what song? So after staring at me dumbly and waiting for me to call something, they say "we'll do blues in C". And it starts. Like a 12 bar, but a bit more than a I-IV-V. I start playing, and the sax and trombone find a theme, and we go around for a while, with the trombone, sax, and piano taking turns. Thankfully they didn't look at me for a solo. I did OK walking around on it, but I felt like I was out of place. Thanks to a strong drummer and my "rock band" training, I wasn't out of time. Herb said I sounded good, but ...

So next time I'll have a song ready to call, and not seem like such a dork. And if that kid comes back, we'll take a shot at Pride and Joy and Texas Flood....

Because I already know that I'm going back next week. And if I didn't make a complete ass of myself, they'll let me play. If not, I'll enjoy watching Herb again.

Any suggestions welcome. Any of you get kicked at a jam, either from playing with better players or from not knowing how the game works (or both - like me)?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most definately Tom !!

But I always seem to find more time for woodshedding the days/weeks following.... :)

I love playin' with others ...it's always a challenge and opens up your mind to fresh ideas.

PJR

I have a hard time believing our very own Mr. Capasso got shown up! I didn't think that was possible.

Enough of the brown-nosing.......I have been there a few times before. One time that stands out was with my best friends. They have a very good band and a great bass player. He wanted to see my basses one day and I just happened to have them with me. I broke them out and started jamming. The drummer and guitarists are brothers and know each other as well as the drummer and I know each other. They started playing and I followed. I was struggling to keep up. It was some fast and technical stuff. Then they wanted me to solo. The solo was the easy part. I was struggling. As with you, Tom, they were impressed. I learned a lot in those few minutes, mostly about myself and my limits.

The last few times I've jammed (not in the studio), I've found that I'm the one in the driver's seat. It's a whole different feeling. It's actually an ego boost, yet frustrating at the same time. I'm not saying you were out of your league, Tom, because we all know your credentials speak for themselves. There are very few good locals around here that go to the open mic/jam nights, so I tend to stay away. Now, maybe if there were a good house band I'd have a different story.

Yeppers, have been 'out of place' a couple of times thru the years. I think I pick 'em better these days...thank god for old age wisdom :)

Like Peter J Romano, I think I always found time for woodshedding after that. I would go thru the song later at home, work it out, and think, "If they ever invite me back in this lifetime, I'll be ready now".

Humbling is the word that comes to mind.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

your post is enough to give me chills Tom

think we have all been thru something along those lines too

where the hell is my bass at, gotta get back to practice

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Next time your work sends you my way Tom I know a few places for muso jams where they give applause nomatter how bad it is. Its good for the ego I tellls ya! :thu:
Providence over serendipity any day.

Yes...

There's something about being on the spot like that that makes you rise to the occasion in a way that makes you reach down like no amount of practice, or jamming with your regular band can do.

I play mostly in blues, funk, and R&B circles, so I always have a few tunes in mind to suggest.

'Messin' With the Kid' is one that just about every blues player is familiar with, and is such a hoot for jammin'.

Robin Ford's 'Talk to Your Daughter' is another jammin' gem. Last time I jammed that one on the spot it turned into a bizarre funk/blues hybrid. And very slow with all kinds of room to move around in there.

'I'm Tore Down' and 'I'll See It Through' are also a hoot for blues jammin'.

Keb Mo's stuff is also GREAT for jammin'. Tunes like 'Gimme What You got' and 'That's Not Love' come to mind. Guess this stuff would fal into the 'modern eclectic blues' jammin' category.

And if your dealing with classic rock musicians, Van Morrison's 'Moondance' is always a fun way to get some rockers to swing. Just about every musician alive can play it, too.

Jam on!

:thu:

Tom, Getting your head cut is a humbling experience.

I think edendude has the right idea and tunes. Start out in familiar territory. If you'd like I could send you the Real Book in F Clef as some .pdf files for some common ground. It has quite a few Jazzy Blues tunes. I gotta hand it to you. You've got bigger gonads than me. I don't know if I could do that in an unfamiliar town.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Tom...

Sounds to me like you actually did OK considering you were totally out of your element.

Consider:

These guys are Jazzers, and (correct me if I'm wrong) that's not really your thing, per se. Also, it's safe to say that they've all been playing with each other for a while, so they kinda have an inherent communication system, which you don't share since you don't know them. You walked in cold to an umfamiliar environment and took a shot... I wonder if any of them could do the same in a different musical world.

In all... you did fine. I'd say you probably didn't embarrass yourself. You didn't try to hot-dog it,jump all over the songs or make an ass of yourself by bugging those guys to get onstage. They asked YOU... If anything, this experience is sort of a reminder that a smart bassist can sit in on almost any musical situation and hold their own if they don't get too self-indulgent.

Worst case scenario... You never, ever have to see any of these people again if you don't want.

Now... feel better?

BTW, I used to host an open-mic jam here in Philly. I've heard some of the most rehearsed bands suck ass and watched a hastily thrown together band jump onstage and do amazing things. That's the magic of those nights. Enjoy it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Thanks for all your comments - keep them coming !!

cornbread - I have no credentials. I'm a hobbyist who's been playing (questionably) for a long time. No lessons, can barely read. I did play sax in school and had a theory class, so I'm not completely unskilled...

The biggest problem was that the music was not the music of my limited background. There is a rock cover band at the last job - and I sat in with them at gigs and at rehearsals. While their bassist does a fine job, I always seemed to challenge them when I play ("driving seat" thing). One night at a rehearsal, the drummer and I started jamming. I mixed in licks with lots of open spaces. The keys and guitar did the same, and we had fun. Seems it was the first time in 2 years they hadn't worked on a particular song. The point is that in that world, I'm fine. In the jazz world, I'm lost.

RobT - in a foreign city you can run back to the hotel and never see those guys again. I think it'd be harder at home....

edendude, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to take them and a set list I got from a Dudepit guy and try to get to work. The traveling without a bass hampers my ability though

I'm both excited and nervous about next Tuesday...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Sounds like you did fine. I find that we are often our own worst critics. I've had times where I thought there was no way I sounded good on a song and yet I've been told that I sounded great.

Plus I think everyone of those musicians up there has been there and done that like we all have. It probably showed them something more positive that you were able to get up there and jam in C in the pocket.

Also sounds like a fun out of town thing to do. Next time I'm out of town I might try something like that!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

A situation similar to this happened to me recently at an semi-audition. The guy started playing some pretty far out beats on his drums, and told me to make something up. We had more train wrecks than i care to remember. While i can cop a groove and alter it to fit what could be a movement, this was just too much for me. I think he'll be looking for a long time to come.

How does this relate? We all have brain farts and bad days, and we all end up in bad musical combinations at one point in time or another, don't let it get you down. If you think that a tool in your tool box ain't sharp enough, well, sharpen it. ( by going out and practicing and using it.) Also, just because you didn't gel with a few guys dosne't mean your not capable or lack skill and talent. It just happens. Now if it happens all the time.......

Check out my work in progress.

Congratulations, Tom. That's cool that you would get up and play with "jazz" players ;) .

I thought I read in your other posts that you were a singer? Maybe next time you get brave enough to jam with those people, just sing something. Make them do the sweatin' :D Just be sure you know the song real well in case they get lost :eek: . Do you know how to sing Stormy Monday? I'm sure any jazz band could pull that one off, it's only I IV & V (but jazz players have their ways of making simple songs complicated).

Keep on keepin' on......

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

TC

Jump, Jive and Wail is a perfect segway into other 1,4,5 jams like In The Mood. Jazz players should know them. Also, try improv on Oye Como Va, great space in that song for solos.

Spider

Originally posted by randy clay:

Congratulations, Tom. That's cool that you would get up and play with "jazz" players ;) .

I thought I read in your other posts that you were a singer? Maybe next time you get brave enough to jam with those people, just sing something. Make them do the sweatin' :D Just be sure you know the song real well in case they get lost :eek: . Do you know how to sing Stormy Monday? I'm sure any jazz band could pull that one off, it's only I IV & V (but jazz players have their ways of making simple songs complicated).

Keep on keepin' on......

Not sure what version of Stormy Monday you play but the Bobby Blue Bland arrangement has a lot more changes than just I IV & V.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

As to Stormy Monday, I know the Allman Brothers version best. Wally - yeah - more than 3 chords, but I've been playing it for a while. I could take a shot at singing it, and the only risky part is at the end (but by then it's done, so they can throw me out). Thing is, between the nerves and playing a different bass and feeling way over my head, I didn't think I was up to singing much... I'll see what kind of reception I get when I show up on Tuesday - maybe I'll try singing as well. That way I can double my embarrassment, or at least hide my bass playing (since they'll all comment on the vocals).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Not sure what version of Stormy Monday you play but the Bobby Blue Bland arrangement has a lot more changes than just I IV & V.

Wally[/QB]

I was thinking of the Lee Michaels version, with Frosty on drums. He stayed pretty much to the I IV and V, with some chromatic licks and a ii to iii progression every once in a while, but basically, at least to my ear, a straight ahead song. At least, that's how I used to sing it.

I've never heard the Bobby Blue Bland arrangement, but jazz players do have a way of making things complicated. :)

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Well, I'm here to testify!

Can I get an amen, brothers and sisters, I am here to TESTIFY!

I'm here to testify that our brother, the Baron of Bass, the righteous Reverend of Rock Bottom, Tom Capasso, can hold his own in a jam session, yes he can!

That said, I know how you feel, Tom...I've never really jammed with folks who were solely jazz folks...so I know that I wouldn't have even had the cajones to do what you did.

I generally size up a situation before I go onstage. I don't mind getting up with players who are more proficient than I...heck, most of my gigs have been in a supporting role. But I don't want to get up and suckamundo, either.

I'm quite sure that Tom did a fine job!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey man, don't be intimidated by jazz or blues stuff. I grew up with that stuff. It's lots of fun!

Think about it....today's rock & roll is more or less the aftermath of the kind of improv that made jazz what it is (metal and rap discluded because I can't stand any of that stuff - it's a personal thing).

Only difference between rock & roll and jazz is that jazz has grown it's own culture instead of being looked down as being inferior music (like it used to be a long time ago) or idolized like rock has. But back then, jazz was the "rock & roll" of it's time.

Or, if you don't like that, think about what Homer Simpson says: "Jazz; they just make it up as they go along."

As funny as Homer is, he's right, though.

Jazz has never been about "standards".

After all, what did Charlie Parker, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, and others worry about "standards"? They took songs, made them their own or wrote new material, folks loved it for it's ingenuity and passion, and here we fret about the fidelity of imitation like we're robots or something.

It's solely about the feel of the moment (as I type this I'm listening to Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" 33 1/3 LP. What a great album!!)

Either way, try and have fun, and don't be intimidated. Improv it, make it your own!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Archived