Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song kicking my...

Mike F.

My contribution:

the bass fill near the end of Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" from the 'Graceland' album.

I've been working on this on and off for years - not because the band wants to do it, but it's just such a sweet fill.

See? Now I must try it again..and again........and again.

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a hint w/ "You Can Call Me Al"...the lick starts on the G string...hammeron from Bb to C.

Move down to the d and do the same thing. Repeat across all four strings.

I leave you figure out the rest of it...but the second bar is only the first half played backwards...get the notes and try to emulate the backwards sound as best you can.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I leave you figure out the rest of it...but the second bar is only the first half played backwards...get the notes and try to emulate the backwards sound as best you can.

If I remember an interview correctly w/ Bakithi Kumalo (right? he's the one who laid down that line, isn't he?), I think it's not just played backwards, but when the track was recorded, they flipped Bakithi's line using recording "tricks" -- he didn't actually play the notes in reverse. Maybe that's what you meant, though, BL when you referred to "the backwards sound."

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks for the tips - I worked out the notes a long time ago...it's just trying to get my old fingers to make it come out as smooooooth...

(besides - if I ever get it right, THEN what'll I work on? :>)

Peace, Y'all,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

"Within Without You"

:D

Dear Ben "I love my StingRay Anniversary model and make funny faces when I play" Loy,

You might want to revisit the thread you started recently for the "common beginner bassist." I'll give you a hint -- there's no slapping in "Within Without You."

Good luck with the tune -- I hope you're able to get out of the 'shed in the not-too-distant future. ;)

The right honorable gentleman from Illinois, his royal sweetness,

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've always wanted to learn "Moondance". Last week it was added to our set list!! COOL!! It kicked me for about an hour last night. Still haven't got the piano solo part yet. Not too hard to fake your own part but "that" bass line is sweet!!

Hey here's another really cool groove.... try "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Steelers Wheel. Man I forgot how cool that song is. Thats my pick for this weeks list!

Keep on Pumpin' that Bass!!

Hawk :thu:

Archived