Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song kicking my...

Mike F.

Ive pondered posting this topic here for a while, so hopefully a few of you will be interested.

Which song is currently kicking youre ass..

We all have one or two, you love the song, just cant seem to get it together to play it

Dont be ashamed or bashful btw if youre a bit of a newb like myself and cant manage something like smoke on the water yet, forum members here are very supportive and all of us have been thru it before.

My song btw is Gerry Raferty's Baker Street, I primarily play by ear, but i just cant seem to get it, and i have a version of the song here in notation, but i cant read worth a crap, so im currently cheating and writing out the notes above the photocopied version of the notation i made.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes...wow, this feels like confessing! :D But I'll bite.

I don't know I'd say it's kicking my butt, but I'm working hard on "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing," out of the Jamerson book. I can play it, but getting it all as clean as I want it & in the groove I want is taking a lot of work. (I'm not even thinking about "How Long Has that Evening Train Been Gone" or "Darling Dear" yet! :eek: ) I'll get it, though.

I've learned a lot of Chris Squire parts (a few years ago), but one that always threw me was "Close to the Edge." The funny thing is that no particular section of that song is terribly difficult (even that wild stuff on the intro before the guitar theme comes in, is easier than it sounds), but for some reason I always got tripped up putting the whole thing together! (Be fair, it IS 19 minutes long!) Haven't tried that song in years...maybe I should have another go... :idea:

Let's not even talk about songs that WOULD kick my butt if I were to try them... :rolleyes:

Having not tried too many songs, I haven't gotten stuck yet, but the thorn in my side is Operation Ivy - Room Without a Window. My band was trying to cover it, but I do bass and vocals, and the two don't really meet at all, frustrating me to no end because I really do like the song. There aren't even any common emphasis points in the lyrics and bass line!

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

A couple weeks ago it was transcribing Bryan Beller's opening solo and basslines from the "Half Alive in Hollywood" version of "My Dilemma".

I haven't had much time to transcribe or learn anything but the tunes of the bands I'm working with right now. None of 'em are kicking my ass very hard from a technique or feel standpoint...but keeping 'em all straight in my head is a challenge to be sure!!! :freak:

I feel youre pain squeen, i have a terrible time doing lyrics and bass at the same time, something that has helped me is writing out the two parts on top of each other and if necessary at first just singing the parts that are easy and obvious, because for me the playing is always the more easily forgotten of the two. I have to make my muscle memory kick in to get the bass to work.

And Ben, i understand what you mean about the muddled up, ive been playing rocket queen from GNR lately, and the end seems to go on forever, long enough to where atleast once im bound to play the wrong fill at the wrong time.

Wait, shit, thats just due to inattention :)

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

James Jamerson caused me many headaches when I was in first year at Uni. The chorus of Gladys Knight's version of "Grapevine" had me stumped. :freak: I still use it when I try out a bass, to check how easy it (the bass) is to play.

Learning parts by others once you have begun to develop your own style is always a challenge.

Some of you jaded nuclear-powered super-slappers may laugh, but Aeroplane by RHCP is kicking my ass at the moment. Never really tried to slap before (in my 18 months of playing), and the rhythym is completely foreign to me. I'll get there, once I get some time to practice. Damn my university degree! Its taking tame away from me and my bass being together.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

A couple weeks ago it was transcribing Bryan Beller's opening solo and basslines from the "Half Alive in Hollywood" version of "My Dilemma".

Masochist... :D That's a bitchin part, because Beller played it.. and he's the man.. and you're the man for transcribing it.

My current ass-kicker of a song is an original that my current band will be recording at the end of this month. It's a fun little number that is primarily in 13/8. A very, very old 4-track demo version of the song can be heard here:

Isn\'t It A Bit Much

Note: It's a Real Audio file... yeah, I hate Real Player too. This was written and recorded in 1988 by Yogi; right after he got his first drum machine (and you can tell :D ). To me, this song sounds like something that could have been on Steve Vai's album 'Flexable'.

If you have Finale 2002 or newer, and you're really nice, I can share my pain with you and send you my part so you too can play along. Since there really isn't much of a bass part, and we are only a 3-piece, I wind up doing 99% of the stupid-fast guitar fills (playing the role of guitar #2 on the recording, for those keeping score at home). The only one that I don't double is the 16th note sextuplet run that is at the end of the long 4/4 section; screw that noise.

I ain't that fast!

"Aeroplane" kicked my ass too. Not only did it kick my ass getting the notes...it was a bigger asskicking getting the feel down. Go with it...it's so fun figuring it out.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

My current ass-kicker of a song is an original that my current band will be recording at the end of this month. It's a fun little number that is primarily in 13/8. A very, very old 4-track demo version of the song can be heard here:

Isn\'t It A Bit Much

Note: It's a Real Audio file... yeah, I hate Real Player too. This was written and recorded in 1988 by Yogi; right after he got his first drum machine (and you can tell :D ). To me, this song sounds like something that could have been on Steve Vai's album 'Flexable'.

If you have Finale 2002 or newer, and you're really nice, I can share my pain with you and send you my part so you too can play along. Since there really isn't much of a bass part, and we are only a 3-piece, I wind up doing 99% of the stupid-fast guitar fills (playing the role of guitar #2 on the recording, for those keeping score at home). The only one that I don't double is the 16th note sextuplet run that is at the end of the long 4/4 section; screw that noise.

Nice piece. Do tell us when your band puts the new one together. You're right about it sounding like a 'Flexable' type song. good stuff :thu:

"Badge" I can play almost all of it, but there is one part where there are 10 notes and the last 5 of them are played very quickly, and I always have to skip two of the notes.

But I keep trying.

July will be 3 years that I've been playing, but I still consider myself a newbie.

... Connie Z

P.S. Today was Mardi Gras here in New Orleans, and of course, it was awesome!

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Originally posted by BenLoy:

"Aeroplane" kicked my ass too. Not only did it kick my ass getting the notes...it was a bigger asskicking getting the feel down. Go with it...it's so fun figuring it out.

Yeah that was a funny song for me too. The part isn't all that complicated, but getting the feel right was always tough. I just always blamed the drummer. :D:P

I have a student right now that wants to work on Mudvane songs. Mudvane isn't really my cup of tea, but the bass player can definitely throw down. Also, many of the techniques he uses are foreign to me.

I have no homepage.

Originally posted by tazzola:

Nice piece. Do tell us when your band puts the new one together. You're right about it sounding like a 'Flexable' type song. good stuff

Well... Yogi has grand ideas of us actually being able to perform this monstrosity at our show on the 22nd of this month. If a recording is made, I'll be sure to share it. Otherwise, we are going to make an attempt at it when we do our live studio album at the end of March. Either way, I'll try and get something resembling us flogging through it on a share. I still fear most of those stupid guitar harmony bits. Guitarists have this whole thing about playing really fast stuff that doesn't exactly lend itself to the bass all that well. You should see the damn sheet music to a song that will be on the new Yogi & Half Zaftig studio album... good god. It's been lovingly titled 'Bassman's Bane'. It makes this silly thing look like 'Louie Louie'.

Off to practice, or something.

-B

I've finally perusaded myself to work on getting Donna Lee down but I feel this may take me as long again as I've already been playing bass for!

The other challenge which I started working on last night is Miserlou, the Dick Dale song used on Pulp Fiction. I recently started getting the hang of playing with a pick so I'm now trying to learn how to play this tremelo picked guitar part on bass and it sounds pretty damn cool!

Alex

Miserlou is actually a Greek folk song. I play it a lot at parties where there are a lot of people from the Middle East. There's a nice dance that goes with the song. It's pretty easy and the band leader goes out on the dance floor and teaches people who don't know it. This also has the nice side effect of him putting down his guitar, which makes the band sound better.

Boy, I'm lucky.

I don't really do covers, so I spend most of my time writing my own stuff, not figuring out other people's stuff. Consequently, I rarely write anything that is tough for me to play... I don't see the point in that. I'd rather write stuff that is well within my abilities so that I can play it with conviction and without struggling. This isn't to say that some of the stuff ins't somewhat challenging, but the days of me breaking my fingers on a tricky passage are long gone. I just don't write that kinda stuff.

So... nothing is kicking my ass right now... except the writing part.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The song that is kicking my butt is Sapari.

It's a Israeli/Yemenite instrumental. There are some odd measures in the song so the beat seems to turn around a few times. The chart which the bandleader uses is incorrect, so if I look at it, it messes me up. I try to memorize everything so that I don't have to use charts, but because I tried to learn this song from an incorrect chart, I still get confused. I've been playing it by ear and not putting the chart on my stand. This helps. I got a recording and I think I'll just write out a new chart for myself and relearn it.

Time for a joke:

two musicians meet after not seeing each other for a long time:

Musician one: what's new?

Musician two: did you hear that I got married to a supermodel?

Musician one: wow, that's great, I didn't hear that!

Musician two: Yeah, and my new cd just went platinum.

Musician two: Yeah, and I'm leaving on a world tour next week, playing on six continents.

Musician two: And the weirdest thing happened. Last week I went to sit in at a jazz club, we played Killer Joe and went we got the bridge I couldn't remember the changes.

Musician one: Yeah, I heard about that.

Jeremy...

Get better? No way! That sounds like a lotta work.

I'm just kidding.

But on a more serious note, I usually only have to woodshed on stuff that other people write for me. I tend to write things that sound like they are more complex than they actually are... my theory behind songwriting usually involves minimal technical complexity placed into tricky arrangements.

This usually means the whole band has to woodshed on songs together rather than practice individually.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well I've conquered Turn it on again as was the topic in a previous post of mine about counting. I hate songs like that though. Their supposed to be simple and BANG!! You've missed another change.

Right now I'm in the middle of working up some of the original stuff this band I'm in has. Nothing to terribly challenging. Especially considering that they are letting me do whatever I want with the songs on the low end.

....and there was much rejoicing...

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

First, I like Ben's comment about remembering it all. I managed to (pretty much) learn Steeley Dan's Don't Take Me Alive, but by the second time we rehearsed, it was gone from my brain!! Then we dropped it from the list....

I'm working on Lamb Lies Down (Genesis). I've got most of it OK, but the last part before "and the lamb..." has something going on that just doesn't penetrate the skull. When I think I've got it, I don't. And I'm singing it too, just to help the confusion.

Badge is one of my favorites. Unfortunately my band doesn't agree, and it's been dropped. We used to do the bridge (part with the cool guitar arpeggios) again at the end to give more solo time...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

dave weckl-"hard wired", this song kicked my ass, I wont try and transcribe it at least for a few more years.

Chick corea-"tone poem", made it halfway through this one. It is in 3/4 belive it or not. B section is easier to interpret as 6/8 until the end of the section. Jimmy earl's slap tone is very delicate and hard to imitate.

Tom--don't know if it will help, but you could have a listen to "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" on the Flower Kings album "Alive on Planet Earth"--they do a live cover that's really cool. Sometimes it helps to hear someone else's interpretation, and/or to hear the thing played in a live setting. (Plus, the "Alive" album is just really, really excellent!)

Unfortunatelly a lot of songs kick my butt :(

Right now I been working on Chick Coreas "Got a Match" and i finnaly got the head up to speed with clean notes. (It took three weeks)

"Word to your mother"

Archived