Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

National Guitar Summer Workshop

_Sweet Willie_

Hey y'all!

I just got in the mail a flyer about the National Guitar Workshop's summer programs. They'll be out here in Chicago at the end of July offering both the weeklong "bass intensive" program and a "blues bass seminar."

I did a "search" on this forum and saw that JeremyC has taught at one of these. Also, forum originator, lurker, occasional participant, and bass educator extraordinaire Ed Friedland has been involved in the past and will be teaching the jazz bass session in CA.

Even though I think I can free up the time in July, I'm not sure yet whether I can pony up the $$$ to participate in one of the two Chicago bass programs (being local, though, I would save some money on travel expenses and lodging, but would still be looking at a $500 tab!). That said, can anyone (Jeremy and Ed included) tell me anything they know about this workshop? For example, how much can be learned during the intensive week? How are the instructors? What kinds of "guiding philosophies" or pedagogies are there? Is the experience exhilirating, exhausting, etc.? What are the expectations of the students?

The flyer I rec'd in the mail is very informative, but it would be nice to hear from folks who have participated as students or instructors, or even know folks who have participated.

Thanks!

Peace.

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, one more thing -- might be a real kick in the pants if a few of us signed up together for the same session in the same location. So if anyone is seriously considering taking part, post. Maybe there would be some possible hook-ups -- whether in IL, CT, CA, or any of the other locations (TX, TN, others?).

Peace.

spreadluv

I'm not currently teaching at the National Summer Guitar Workshop, so my comments here are not a plug for something for which I have a financial interest.

It is a great program. It is exhilirating and exhausting and you will learn a lot and have a great time.

The instructors are a mixture of local people and people who NSGW flies in for the week.

If you are commuting from home (which is what I did), stay as late as you can. I was there from 9 am until 11 pm everyday.

The students were about half teenagers and half adults. Everyone had some basic playing skills and some were excellent. (I actually recommended two brothers for a New Year's gig at a First Night event and they did a great job).

There are classes for all kinds of things and you will have some kind of choice as to what you take.

All the staff were great players and I enjoyed working with all of them....and as the bass instructor, I got to back every single teacher, no matter what style, in the faculty recital. When it was my turn to perform, I really didn't have to do anything (although I did perform Marcus Miller's version of Come Together) because I had just played in five styles with other teachers.

For a bass player, you will be playing ALL the time. I had 6 bass players in my class and because there were about 10 times that many guitarists, each bass player had to be in two or three bands and run from rehearsal to rehearsal. You will push your learning capacity to the limit.

I have taught at other music camps and so has my wife. Many instructors at these camps could make more money if they stayed home, but choose to teach at the camps for the intense experience which they have, playing music and hanging with other musicians.

You will have an unforgettable time.

Wow. Thanks, Jeremy. What a ringing endorsement!

Great info and perspective. Sounds like it would definitely be worth my while if I can figure out how to get the money together. Especially 'cause I'm at a point in my playing where I'm really open and excited about bass educational experiences, and have just come out of a set of 8 weekly lessons that have me charged up, open-minded, and eager. Yes, I'm in some kind of weird "bass geek" place in my life cycle. ;):rolleyes:

I would commute, as you did. It looks like about a 45 minute trip from my home -- not too bad, so I could stay fairly late.

Anyone else have something to contribute?

BTW, the link to more info is here: National Guitar Workshop .

Peace.

spreadluv

I attended two summers of National Guitar Workshop down in LA and it was a fun experience. One summer I did the bass intensive course, and the other summer I did the bass summit (which is only offered certain places each year).

The bass intensive covered more of a broad overview of bass playing, everything from reading to technique to bass setup. Along with the intensive were rhythm section classes which basicly where a drummer, bass player and 4 or more guitarist. Being mainly a guitar event, all of the guests and lectures were centered on guitar, there were only about 6 bass players and 2 drummers at the whole thing. The only thing to complain about, besides too many guitarists in one place, would be that everyone was at different levels and each person didn't get as much one-on-one time as I would have liked.

The summer I did bass summit was pretty cool, this time I was actually surounded by bass players. My teacher at the bass summit was the old moderator to this forum, Ed Friedland. In the bass summit you could pick a major and minor class which helped narrow down the teaching and helped make the class more specialized, for example I was in the jazz class. Along with the classes were guest players, like Micheal Manring, Gary Willis, and Rocco Prestia among others and guest lectures by people like Scott Shirake from Bass Player. At the end of the week all of us took a little field trip to the Bass Day LA they were having that year at Musicians Institute in Holly Wood, just that day alone was worth it.

I enjoyed both summers and would recomemend it to you. The staff were all really great and I had enough material to work on to keep me busy the rest of the year. I would also like to say that just see so many other great players inspired me for months after the camp.

Thanks Sweet Willie and jeremyc:

Just pulled the catalog out of the mailbox a few minutes ago, and saw a week in Sarasota...Oh yeah, I can picture a week across State!!

jeremyc - Thanks for the recommendation...even a dinasaur like me can benefit from some high end classes!

Any other Floridians planning on going to Sarasota?

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I'm thinking of doing the bass summit or intensive (can't remember which one while I'm here at work) in LA, but it might take me a little while to know whether I can commit to the $1000 or so that it will cost me to attend. Do the sessions fill up quickly, or would I be able to hold off registration until, say, the end of May?

Archived