Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

passive pickups

earljam

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

earljam,

First of all, try the BP magazine archive. Here is the link to their jazz bass replacement pickup shootout. You should find it pretty darn helpful.

You've got a lot of options. If you want single coil p'ups -- nice full, open sound, but you need to deal with hum if you favor one or the other pickup -- I've heard wonderful things about Lindy Fralin, Aero, and Rio Grande pickups. Do a Google search and you can find websites for all three.

If you're not into the hum, you can go with stacked humbuckers or in-line dual coil humbuckers. The DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and Model J p'ups are supposed to be solid. Bartolini makes some as well. Some people dig Bill Lawrence J-45 p'ups for hum-free operation.

I also hear Duncan Antiquities getting props.

Use the "search" feature and look for "pickups" or "pick-ups" in the subject header. I just did that and was gonna post some links to other threads about this, but there were just too many. If you're interested in a few brands in particular, search for those brands to see what folks have had to say.

Happy hunting. (BTW, I'm in the process of getting some Bartolini Classic Bass j-p'ups to drop into my Carvin.)

Peace.

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived