Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck choice?

Timothy Lyons

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually like all the fingerboard woods, but, I prefer a maple neck. I like both types of necks, but, like BenLoy, my Stingray is closest to a Precision. I like the look of the darker boards with certain colors, yet, I love the look of a well worn maple neck on a well played P or J bass with lots of character marks.

Currently, both my basses have "fake" necks and boards. I have 2 Modulus basses with the graphite neck and phenolic (sp?) fingerbords. I love the evenness of the tone from one string to the next, 1st fret to last.

I also have a Stingray 5 on the way. It's maple/maple. I also like that combination.

I've not been able to feel much of a difference with different fretboard woods except maple. Even the various non-wood boards don't mean much to me. Neck woods and finishes are a different story.... I've played rosewood, wenge, and have ebony on my Kinal. All feel great to me.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived