Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the best gig ever.

rumpelstiltskin.

this didn't really fit into the "best compliment" thread, but talking about my worst moment in performance reminded me of the best.

i was a senior at michigan state university. the football team was having a pretty good year. the band i formed had just played a really good gig behind my dorm, and i was feeling really good about the music we did with that band.

then another local band that gigged out a lot more than i ever did was looking for a bass player. two rounds of auditions later, i was their new bass player. this band was so much fun. it's still the only band i've been in where i could relax and play. it's the only band where i could trust the other people to keep up their end of everything. and our singer was a big draw. she was beautiful and she could sing. it was great.

so my first gig with them is a saturday night at rick's, the best music club in east lansing. the cool part was that there was a home football game that day, so we were guaranteed to have a big crowd. we also won big, so the crowd was happy and drunk and happy.

we played really well, and everything came together like it should. it's the only time i've had a perfect gig like that. it was awesome. i've had some great gigs since then, but so far (sadly) that defines what i haven't been able to reach yet with any other band.

robb.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it hasn't happened yet. It's always easy to be too critical, but so far I've never got off stage and been 100% happy.

Saying that, in a couple of weeks time (March 7th) we're playing the student union in Queens Belfast, which, simply by audience figures will be or biggest yet, I sincerely hope it's our best.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Let's see:

Football weekends in Lansing/East Lansing....or Ann Arbor......

No contest - though it was {ahem ahem} 30 years ago or so, and I need to clear the cobwebs; MSU gigs were the best.

Don't sweat it, great gigs have more to do with where we are emotionally and professionally (as players), than where we are geographically or demographically.

It'll happen again, and it'll happen because of your (and the band's) effort.

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

For me.....

This past NYears eve at the Fiesta Bowl.

Flown out like real Rock stars , played on huge stage, in front of 10,000's of people. Paid very well, and everything else paid for. Nice.

Fiesta Bowl Gig shots

While out there we even hooked up some club gigs which , while not as glamourous ...still had a sick crowd.

Acme Gigs

All in all that week was my biggest, best gig week to date !!

PJR

Opening for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at the Vanderbilt out on Long Island. We smoked that place.

I had my own little cheering section of swing chick groupies. It was weird...I felt like I was being sized up like a piece of meat...not an altogether unpleasant experience... :D

great pics, pjr. i thought you only brought your sterling with you? what's that red bass your playing in one of the acme pics?

best gig? i'm not sure. i'm pretty critical, and i haven't gigged for a while. i don't think i've had the "perfect" gig, but there were certainly parts of gigs or tunes that were slammin'. (a great jam on pink floyd's "echoes" comes to mind; a show opened with a slammin' "song remains the same" intro; a phat rendition of the awb's "pick up the pieces" as well as "got the love"; an outstandingly smooth Bob Marley medley...)

i might have to say one of my music school piano recitals back in the day (like middle school!) when i busted thru all 3 movements of a minuet that i'd worked on for quite some time w/out making any mistakes. it was a big moment for me, but calling it a "gig" would be a stretch!

peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Peter J Romano:

For me.....

This past NYears eve at the Fiesta Bowl.

Flown out like real Rock stars , played on huge stage, in front of 10,000's of people. Paid very well, and everything else paid for. Nice.

Fiesta Bowl Gig shots

PJR

Opening up for Collective Soul huh? We opened for them a few years ago here in Wichita, we were very surprised to find out how "sweet" they were when we met them (wink, nudge.)

Our funnest gig was probably playing at 4:00 am at Wheatland Jam (local music festival) in 2001. Since it was 4:00 am and we'd been drinking for hours, I'm pretty sure that we didn't play our best, but judging by the crowd reaction (and reactions of the other bands) we blew everybody away.

Ah, nice marmot.

Maybe my measure of "great" gigs is a little different.

We did a show in Toronto for 1,200+ amazing kids, but I don't think we played all that well. The place was HUGE, and the sound system was sick. 10-channel monitor mix, big-ass drum riser, everything. I think we played pretty decently... but we didn't, y'know. SHINE. The kids loved us, though. We sold a lot of stuff and had a pretty good time, but I felt like we kind of phoned it in.

Contrastingly, we did a gig here in Philly at a tiny club with a totally SHIT PA -- no monitors, postage stamp-sized stage, two small speakers. Our bassist (#5) had a bad ankle, I was sick (throat issues) and none of us had slept in two days due to our touring schedule. We tore that fucking place to shreds for about 50 people who were packed in and could barely budge. We could do no wrong. Everyone in the room was right with us, hanging on every note. #5 and I were going bugshit, kicking holes in the stage and pouring water on each other while our singer (Foo) climbed the pillars next to the stage. It was incredible fun, and for once, everyone there was in on the jokes.

After the set, the other bands told us they were scared of us. One guitarist said, "Man, I'm so glad we went on before you guys. I wouldn't want to follow that performance."

We got paid shit, but we left that night feeling like we could bend steel with our eyelids.

To me, that's a great gig.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

great pics, pjr. i thought you only brought your sterling with you? what's that red bass your playing in one of the acme pics?

I did only bring the Sterling.

That 'red' bass was a Zon 5 string'er that Steve 'Dude' Barr lent me while I was out in AZ.

PJR

Originally posted by Peter J Romano:

I did only bring the Sterling.

That 'red' bass was a Zon 5 string'er that Steve 'Dude' Barr lent me while I was out in AZ.

PJR

Cool. I didn't remember a red 5-string in your arsenal, but then again, you've been known to buy and sell basses at quite a clip from time to time! :D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived