Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I finally got my J-bass!!!

JDL

Thats right, today I went to gc, at around 4:30PM(pacific standard) and got it. I'm so happy. I'm tired, right now, but excited as well. I know this axe can handle anything I throw at it. The color is like a light-blue mettalic color. I like it. There is one problem, though. Its not about the bass, but about the pickguard. I was talking to Cowbell, and he had the same problem.

This is piecing me off. Now, I have to shave down the weird parts that don't match up. In that, I mean I have to widen the holes, where the screws go in. It sucks, but I think I can do it.

Thank you all for your input and essentially you helped me around 45% in choosing a bass. Thank all of you for your information that helped me finally choose.

You people are the best.

Any questions??¿¿

JDL,

peace

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand why not many people would pay attention to this post. I've had soo much exposure.

davich, I'm sure it will be a life-long friend

No matter which bass i get next(not even in my mind) I will love this one.

It's a great day today.

Screw the pickguard I'll fix it later.

JDL,

peace

Congrats...

You'll have to find someone with a digital camera and post a pic when you get that pickguard on it!.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Congratulations JDL,

Unfortunately Fender kept changing the screw patterns on the pickguards over the years. That's why I recommended going to a custom pickguard maker like Chandler or Jeannie.....they know this and have templates for hundreds of models.

If you haven't started cutting into your pickguard, perhaps you can return it, saying, "it didn't fit" and then you can try to get a new one made. It's actually a very fast process, only takes a few days.

Good luck and enjoy playing your new bass.

You can always go the Jaco route and take the pickguard off entirely.

I've never figured out why he did that.

Yo JDL...

NIce... you got the bass. Play it in good health, my man.

That pickguard action sucks. I hate it when stuff like that happens. Jeremy's right, though. Ask for the right one. The best way to do this is to take the pickguard that came with the bass and trace it on paper, with all the holes shown. Then send it along with your return. That way they'll know exactly what guard to send you.

For what it's worth, I like the "Jaco" pickguard-less look for a Jazz. I think Jaco took his off because he was a little zany, though, and not for any real practical purpose other than zaniness.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

i have an "hecho in mexico" jazz. the neck pickup route is much larger than the pickup itself.

i still kept my pickguard off, becuase i didn't know dimarzio sold a set of ultrajazz pickups that would fit mine, too. so i just put the larger bridge pickup in the neck position. the pickguard doesn't fit, but i don't really care. i just leave it off. it looks kinda goofy, though.

robb.

Congratulations on the new bass JDL! It's surely one of the most anticipated deliveries of the forums history. Hope it plays well and you get the pick gaurd hassle sorted.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Congrats JDL, despite my past "flame" of you, which I really didnt mean as a flame. I recently took the pickguard off my Jazz (the exact same one, as a matter of fact) and yeah, there is a huge route hole running from the mid pickup to the metal plate. There is also a circular hole near where the middle of the pickguard would be that really seems to serve no puprose. I thought about leaving it off, although my whole family said it looked butt-ugly with it off. I dunno, I'm still contemplating.

Archived