Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...and Metallica's new bassplayer is:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fascinating...

The bass solo spot in their live show should take on a whole new meaning (no slight to Jason in that regard, of course...).

It's funny though...when Les Claypool auditioned for Metallica way back in the day, they told him "Sorry, we're not looking for another Cliff Burton."

Guess they are now. :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I just looked at the pictures...I think Robert's playing his bass even lower these days than he used to...how does one slap like that???

Somehow, he can, I guess...

Have you ever seen how low Norwood Fisher (Fishbone) has his bass? It's actually 3 1/2' _below_ ground half the time. :D I can't work out how anyone can play anything with the bass that low, let alone slap.

Trujillo should add an interesting dynamic to Metallica, he's definately an intense mofo (like J. Newkid was). I'm actually interested in seeing them live this time 'round... well, after the "Summer Sanitarium" nonsense that is full of bands that make me itch. I'm sure Metallica will do a headlining tour that will start in the fall of this year.

Cool for Metallica. Cool for Trujillo. I need to listen to more of his work.

As for swinging low and slapping, it's easier than you'd think. I don't know if this will make sense, but it becomes more of a full straight arm pivot from the shoulder rather than a forearm pivot from the elbow. Not sure if my words have captured the idea. Flea slings fairly low too, doesn't he? (Not that low, though!)

(I used to sling pretty low, but have since moved up.)

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

holy shit! are you kidding me? this is going to be interesting, both to see how trujillo scales back to play metallica stuff and to hear what they sound like when they play something trujillo wrote.

as for slinging low, this is METALLICA fer chrissakes, the band that made it cool to sling low. well, actually it was hetfield more than anyone else, but still...

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

actually i had to post again on this one...

being 28 (wedensday) this comes as a major blow. i was counting on this gig to make my life complete. how could they hire some scrub when the bastid was here the whole time. not even a phone call. ingrates. :P

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Well, Bastid, maybe Trujillo reads this board and he'll be at your birthday. I'll make sure he sees the info by bumping your other thread again.

Better yet, maybe J. New reads this board and gives a recommendation to James, Lars, and Kirk on your behalf.

Better still, maybe Cliff, who is watching over you from the afterlife, will intervene thru visions, dreams, and the like, and your phone will ring this weekend with an all-expense paid trip out west for your audition.

BTW, being 28 rocks. I miss it. Consider yourself lucky to be headed there.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived