Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you think of my bands demo?

Cuahtemoc

Well, as per my earlier thread, my band and I recorded a demo today. We had 12 hours to do it in; the setup for my bass was MM Stingray - Ampeg SVT350AV - MD8 8 track Digital MD recorder.

I learnt a lot - to thoroughly check my bass after its been set up - I had major problems with my action being set too low. I'll be honest - the bass playing on the recordings is crap. I was tired, out of the groove, rushed, etc.

What I'm after is any kind of opinion that you guys can give me - After spending 2 days on this thing flatout, no sleep, I need some input other than what my ears tell me, and I greatly respect a lot of your opinions.

The link to the first song is HERE

New New Song(Working title)

Backwards

Nothing World

When Will You Know?

Nineteen Days - Contains minor recording errors.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you don't know me so I hope you respect my opinion. The first thing would be for the entire band to get in tune!! And that includes the singer. I know she's probably going for her own style but if the band is out of tune and she's doing her thing too, it sounds really bad. The next thing would be is for you and the drummer to define the groove. I didn't hear any cohesiveness, meaning you two are playing independantly of each other as opposed to playing tightly together. Other than that, you guys are on your way!

Peace

www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

I'd have to agree with SteveC... a bit too much guitar, and not nearly enough bass. I'm not anything like a recording expert, but I think the low end reinforcment would really compliment your singer's voice... other than that, way cool...

Keep it up.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by dwalmz:

Well, you don't know me so I hope you respect my opinion. The first thing would be for the entire band to get in tune!! And that includes the singer. I know she's probably going for her own style but if the band is out of tune and she's doing her thing too, it sounds really bad. The next thing would be is for you and the drummer to define the groove. I didn't hear any cohesiveness, meaning you two are playing independantly of each other as opposed to playing tightly together. Other than that, you guys are on your way!

Peace

After listening again, I do hear the drums and bass working on the groove. Forgive my tired ears last night. So my only issue is for you guys to get in tune.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

The vocals were really rushed as they were the last thing we recorded - I'm not really happy with the volume of them either. The guitar sounds a lot harsher than when we were recording - we used a Roland JC 120, and had to use the line out, unfortunately, as we'd never mic'd up a speaker before and didnt have time to learn how.

There are a lot of stuff id change, but considering that none of us had slept for 24 hours I think it turned out alright. The recording isnt so bad that it'd make you turn it off without listening to it, which is all we could hope for, really. It manages to get across what our songs sound like.

The two main problems that I heard were:

1) The singer. She needs to get in tune,seriously. It really wasn't even close. Then you need to bring her up a ton more in the mix.

2)There needs to be less guitar in the mix. Kinda harsh sounding. It somewhat seems to me that the guitar player is kind of......lacking. I didn't really enjoy what he was playing on the songs. Too basic.

Other than that, the bass and drums were pretty cool though. Nice sound. I'd just re-mix it.

Actually, man, I liked the kind of raunchy guitar mix. It gave it a very 'Velvet Underground' vibe. I'm usually not one to repeat old posts over & over, but I consent; just fix the vocals, and you've got a pretty good demo.

Originally posted by Cuahtemoc:

I showed it to a guy I know with a studio and he liked it; offered to re-record and mix 3 tracks for us for nothing ;-)

Yeah baby! Go for it... in my humble opinion, you guys have potential, and it looks like you are aware of what you need to work on and adjust...

Good luck!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

If you're using it for gigs check out this page on the web:

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/front_office/demo.htm

My only advice,just like the others,get the singer in tune and work more on the mix.

Go on!! like the music,definately reminds me of velvet underground with Nico

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Archived