Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SWR or eden or other?

Jay J.

I am looking for a new bass head. I will probably buy used actually. I currently have a 8 ohm 2X10 and an 8 ohm 1X15 cab. sometimes I use just one of them sometimes I use both. I have been looking around and have seen what look like some pretty good deals on some heads. the main ones I am looking at are SWR and eden. specifically the eden WT400 or a SWR SM-500 or 350x. anyone use these and could recomend one or mabey something else. I was looking to spend about a max of 700 and I have seen those used for that much. I am also considering the poweramp/preamp but I don't know a lot about that.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay J.,

In an ideal world, cart your instrument(s) and speaker cabs to a store that carries all three and play all of them. Better yet, find out if any local stores that carry them will let you take 'em home for a test drive. Or, find out if any of your local dealers have the amps you're interested in and also your model of cabs in stock, so all you need to do is bring in your bass. If you're out in the boonies and you've gotta do it all mail order, make sure there's a good "return policy" and order them to try at home -- send back the losers, keep the winner, and you'll be out a little dough for the return shipping. Anyway, the point is, the Eden and SWR stuff will sound different. You should hear that difference before purchasing. The SM-500 and the 350x have different EQ options, so you can sculpt your sound differently -- you may want to hear that.

How often does the 350x show up used? It's a relatively recent update to the 350, so I don't know how many have turned around yet. There are certainly good deals to be had on the 350, which is a nice head. The WT-400 is really lightweight, and that can be a real bonus.

If you don't know that much about preamps/power amps, and you're trying to stay under about $700, I'd stick with getting an amp head rather than separates.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

this warwick proFET II isn't quite as powerful as what you're looking for, but it's the only used warwick on ebay. you'd have to call or email bass northwest for new prices on warwick amplification. i'm sure it's expensive, because it's imported, but i've always loved the warwick stuff i've played through. very nice sounds, and a nice contrast to SWR and eden.

i think i'm in the small minority who don't much like those two. i think warwick is a great alternative. i'm sure you'd be more than fine with any of them.

robb.

The Eden stuff is really nice. I have a mix of SWR, Eden, and GK gear, but I'd definitely recommend the WT400. Very warm and punchy, as opposed to the SWR stuff, which is more clean and punchy sounding.

And the Eden will be MUCH sweeter when you want to DI for recording gigs.

Oh and...

If you really like a clean punchy sound with tons of headroom, don't overlook the GK 1001RB. I love mine. 540 watts RMS is nice, too.

Originally posted by Edendude:

[QB]

And the Eden will be MUCH better when you want to DI for recording gigs.

[QB]

It will? Well, I think I shall have to have stern words with my SWR Grand Prix which is clearly overperforming!(Not to mention having adjustable DI level, pre/post eq, groundlift and dedicated mute switch).

Alex

Obviously, there are clear loyalties here. I use SWR and love it. Edendude loves his Eden gear. You can't go wrong with either.

If you can play both, do so and pick the one YOU like. If you can't, flip a coin, draw straws, whatever. You'll get a great sound with either.

Not saying the SWR stuff doesn't sound good, but to my ears, having used both many times, the Eden stuff has a definite edge when recording, and a slight edge for live performances.

And thats why you're called Edendude instead of SWRdude :P .

As for the initial question, the advice given in the previous posts are excellent, you can't really go wrong with any of the presented options. So it boils down to the question of personal taste. Recommendations about different gear should only act as an encouragement in finding out for yourself if you're an Edendude or a SWRdude :D ...

-Pernax, a SWRdude from Finland ;)

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Not saying the SWR stuff doesn't sound good, but to my ears, having used both many times, the Eden stuff has a definite edge when recording, and a slight edge for live performances.

For YOUR sound. Not for mine. And is my sound better than yours? No, it's just different.

Alex

P.S. Though on a subjective basis I would say that my sound absolutely kicks ass!!! But I'd also say that I can get my sound out of most rigs, even the 200W Carlsbro combo I used at the last jam I went to. (My recipe for tone seems to be to set the amp flat and play like me on my old Warwick).

Yep...

This stuff gets very subjective. And pretty much all of the Eden and SWR gear I have owned and/or used was top notch pro soounding gear. And although I have only used one peice of GK gear, and that's my own GK 1001RB, I love it too. Although I have not liked the sound of the GK cabs I have heard being played through by others.

I also like to mix and match. I love the sound of an Eden WT400 through an SWR GIII 4x10 cab.

Alex...

Have you ever owned or used any Eden gear? I guess it would be fair to say that someone who has owned and used both, might be able to voice a more objective opinion when comparing the two, at least as to what suits his or her own sound.

Of course, it depends on what kind of cabs you have, and also what sound you're after.

I'd hazard (given the clear strength of allegiances) the point here that perhaps you're not looking at THAT huge a difference b/w SWR and Eden sounds ... if you were talking about the difference b/w a Trace Elliot vs. SWR, I'd have more objective thoughts on the difference. But between SWR/Eden, I tend to think it's pretty subjective. Beyond this, since you're looking at buying used, you might find other factors more important (i.e. - condition, age, history, etc.)

(And if it matters, yes I've owned and played cabs and amps by - GK, SWR, Eden, Trace, Sunn, Ampeg, Fender, etc.)

thanks for all the responses. I went out to guitar center and got a chance to play both heads. to me there was not that huge of a difference in the sounds. the eden did have a more warmer type of sound to it. anyhow when it comes down to what I need to use it for the eden didn't put out that much juice to an 8 ohm cab. and I really liked how the SWR had the two channels in it. so for features the SWR worked out better. so in conclusion I liked them both but think I will be going with the SWR. it gave me the best slap tone I have ever gotten. so I guess you can call me a SWRdude.

Have you ever owned or used any Eden gear? I guess it would be fair to say that someone who has owned and used both, might be able to voice a more objective opinion when comparing the two, at least as to what suits his or her own sound.

When I got my two Acme Low-B2 cabs and my Mackie M1400i poweramp, I took my rig to the Bass Centre in London and spent the better part of a day there trying out all their rackmount preamps. And on using the WP-100 I could immediately hear why people love the Eden sound but it just wasn't my sound. I spent a lot of time playing the Navigator because I had always heard the Eden gear was the bomb but sadly it didn't do it for me, plus that amount of knobs just plain scared me!

If I needed more of a low-mid thump to cut through the mix then I'd reconsider the Navigator, but as it is I prefer the growl and tight bottom that the Grand Prix gives me.

I can see that many traditional sounding bass players would be better off with the Eden sound and all its warmth and low mids but I would suggest that many bassists with funkier leanings and/or fewer loud high-gain guitarists to compete with, would prefer the SWR growl, bite and definition. Horses for courses...

Alex

Yep...

I'd definitely agree with that assessment and rationale too, bro.

I'm to the point now where I like the warmth of my Eden head for recording, and for low volume acoustic act accompaniment. But I like the clean and punchy sound of my GK head with my SWR 4x10, more and more for rockin'. It's all I use for my full band rock and blues gigs, nowdays.

I've played purely Gallien Krueger ever since I discovered them...obviously the back cover of every issue of Bass Player does get some attention, I decided to give them a try and melted at the tone.

They're versatile, durable, and you gotta love that logo!

\m/ Timothy Lyons

I kinda like the GK stuff for it's 'lack' of tone...

I love the power and headroom of my GK1001RB, but what I'm learning to really love is the way it's so neutral, and seems to give me the tone of my Spector's EMG HZs, through my SWR 4x10 cab, while adding no colour of it's own.

An odd comment from a guy called 'Edendude', huh?!

:D

Archived