Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Question...

ernest828

I went to Sam Ash today with the mindset that I would get myself a Peavey Fury IV bass until I heard some buzzing on the D string on frets 4, 5, 6, and 7.

I thought this was because the string was set too low but after some careful looking at the neck, the neck appeared to dip slightly around those frets. The neck only dipped on one side of the fretboard so is this a possible reason for the buzzing on those frets on just the D string?

The bass is on sale for $399 and I love it but I was a little hesistant after I heard the buzz. Oddly I only noticed the buzz when I was playing the bass NOT plugged in. Whatever is going on there with the neck is not affecting the sound when plugged in.

I am a beginner bass player and really have no experience buying a bass but I was lucky the first time when I purchased a Fender J bass and now I am looking for a second bass for a variety of sounds and I just love the feel of the narrow neck so I am looking to get the bass but obviously not the one I was playing today. Unfortunately they did not have any others in the back so I had to leave empty handed.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you have on this matter.

Ernest

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if it's the neck that has a defect, it could lead to bigger and better problems down the road. But, if it's not at all audible through an amp, then you should change the strings and check it again. If it's still not audible, talk them down from the price, if it's going to be a backup bass. They have a good return policy, so, if you find that it bothers you too much, bring it back and get your cash back and find something else. Of course, this is only the case if you absolutely loved that bass. I would keep shopping. Also, I would tell them. Robb would know more about what Peavey could do about it, but, I'm sure they'd replace it for the store if not the buyer.

It's actually pretty common to hear buzz when not plugged in.

That's because we have a tendency to pull harder to hear the bass...and cause the buzz.

All string instruments have a dip (although it's not supposed to be at the 4th fret area.) This is called "neck relief" and it is designed to allow you to set the action low and still avoid buzzing.

I'm quite concerned that you say it is only on one side of the fingerboard. Are you sure? Have you generated a "Straight edge" with a string (holding a string down on the highest and lowest frets at the same time.)

If you have this problem, that's a twisted neck, and you may have action problems out of this bass.

I suspect a good going over with a guitar tech would do wonders with this bass. I'm not the biggest Peavey fan, but they have reputation of building necks that are pretty stable.

You should have a warranty card with a new bass. If I liked it, I'd buy the sucker and have my tech look at it. If there is a neck problem that is not fixable, I'd take it back and get another.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Hey Guys,

I didn`t buy the bass. I did play it at different volumes when NOT plugged to see if it was my playing. I also tried this on my Fender Jazz bass and did not hear any buzz anywhere on the neck.

As far as the dip, YES it only appeared on one side of the neck.

I`ll just visit another Sam Ash and get one there, I just wanted to run this by you all and see what ya think.

Thanks,

Ernest

Ernest

You played one copy of this bass and it had a problem. Let's assume that the relief was "one sided" - that's bad.

So tell them to go downstairs and dig up a few more. If they don't have any, ask for them to bring some in. If they don't want to, email me and I'll find somebody else around here that carries them. If you find that they all have this characteristic, it's time to pick another bass. My guess is that you'll find most of them are fine. The Peavey's I've played seem to be pretty solid.

Good luck!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Tom,

The Sam Ash in Brooklyn is bad. My least favorite of all of them in the NYC area, and I only go there because its down the street from me. The only guitar I purchased from this place was a Fender Strat but the last time I was looking for a bass I went to this Sam Ash and they had to pull out three basses and they were all chipped or something was odd about them. I gave up and went to Sam Ash in Queens where I eventually bought the Fender J. The Queens locale is far superior in gear, quality and personel.

I don`t need an attitude from the salesperson when I`m looking to lay out $400. I hope someone from Sam Ash is reading this because I think its a shame and I`d like to hear what they have to say.

Ernest

Archived