Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Wally!

patrick_dont_fret

So, you're in a bass trio, with a drummer? I'm thinking of doing something like that, only with just two basses. The other bassist said it would be really cool to get a cello, as well. I was wondering, though, how you guy's writing process goes for songs. Does one person write a solid groove, another write something on top of that, and so on? Or do you just kinda go with the flow? I would like to know, so I can get this thing together. One of my friends will be doing all the promo, so I don't need to worry about that. Just wondering how your situation goes as far as writing, jamming, etc. Thanks, man!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

patrick, the material we do is a lot of jazz standards and a few originals of Kurt, the URB player. We arrange as an ensemble with input from the drummer as well. My main roll is that of a chordal instrument being as I play my six-string. We also do a few of the standards in odd time signatures, we do Mile's All Blues in five and Killer Joe in seven. We worked on making sure we weren't stepping on each other as far as tonal range. We also made sure there was continuity when switching parts such as when changing soloist and bass parts.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

For some reason, when I hear bass trio, I think of Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom"... ...classic movie

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Originally posted by Brendan_Orr:

For some reason, when I hear bass trio, I think of Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom"... ...classic movie

Yeah, I know...but this will be much much better than Spinal Tap would've ever imagined. Crunchy at times, yes, but with a funky feel to it. I play bass more like a (flame suit: status: enganged) g****r anyway, so it should be really cool. Get a good drummer in there to spice things up, and WHAM (not George Michael's WHAM!), you've got one funky trio. He said something about a cello, too...that'd be super funky, man.

Archived