Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Now I know what I was doing wrong and why I never got anywhere playing bass!

HypnoBassMan

I just started playing bass again after about 25 years of not playing. And, just the other day I figured out why I never got anywhere and quit! :idea:

I was using a visual approach to music. I know it seems dumb, but I was always having people SHOW me stuff! Emphasis on _SHOW_ me stuff. It was a bad habit that I got into when I just started. When I started playing bass I had a friend who was a relatively good guitar player, and he always did me the favor of learning the bass part and showing it too me. That really stunted my growth as a musician. :cry:

As a result, it was only now that I have started all over again have I given serious consideration to learning parts by ear. I have only figured out a few songs, but now that I know that I can do it, I feel alot more confident and optimistic about my future as a bass player! :D

Excuse me, but I just had to make this confession to someone. Hopefully someone will benefit from this insight a little earlier in his or her bass playing career :)

HypnoBassMan

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great to see your back into it :thu: I was like that in the beginning, but luckly I had a good bass teacher, who realy stressed doing it by ear as much as possible. I'm quite thankful for that now :P
These words, are sledgehammers of truth.

As a result, it was only now that I have started all over again have I given serious consideration to learning parts by ear. I have only figured out a few songs, but now that I know that I can do it, I feel alot more confident and optimistic about my future as a bass player!
You said it man! Congrats on your eyes becoming "opened"! Best of luck in your future!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Yes, work that ear! :thu:

You'll find that your ability will grow exponentially with the amount of work you put into it. Your ears are probably more important than your hands are for playing bass successfully! :D

Good luck!

Glad to hear you've found a better way. All I've had is my ear, and my delicate sense of improvisation. :eek::rolleyes:

As you move along, you'll start to feel ways to stretch beyond what you hear. You'll start to "hear" things in your head and want to play them. That's when the parts become your own.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived