Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

fuse woes

squeennyzim

ok, so i get my brand new carvin pb200, 160watts and everything. i am a happy camper.

i'm playing, and i put the bass down and it hits the metal part of a chair and suddenly the thing dies. reading through the manual, i see the fuse section, and check the fuse. sure enough, it's fried. i replace it with the included replacement fuse, and turn it on, only to have it kill itself again. i went to radio shack, got some new fuses, made sure they were the same kind, and put em back in and bam, they fry too. any help? i just got the amp and i would hate to have to have it serviced.

thanks

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

squeennyzim -

How long have you had it? Brand New? If it's under Warranty, call them!

I bought my Pro Bass ll (Head only) in '89. 1 month after I got it, an internal fuse blew. I called Carvin, and they said "Ship it back".

2 weeks later, I got it back (No charge, No shipping)...and I've used it every week (Day?) since then, without a problem.

My experience has been great with Carvin, and I wouldn't think twice about another purchase. Sometimes, things happen!

Hope this helps,

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

i wish it was under warranty....

i got it barely used off ebay (guy gigged it once, he said he never had such problems with it) but i doubt it's still under warranty. might be something worth asking though......

my only hope is that my neighbor (tour/some studio guitar for Boston) has some experience with amps or knows someone who does

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

Ask around - a 'word of mouth' recommendation is priceless!

If everything you were looking for (in the amp) was there, than try to find a tech who can fix what's wrong.

Sounds like what I had...(something internal)

...not terminal. Worth a 'check out', at least!

Best of Luck!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Well, if the fuse only blows when your bass only touches metal, then it's probably the grounding of the bass. Try another bass, if possible and see if it blows. If so, then it's the amp. I always try to eliminate as many variables as possible before I start to diagnose the problem. That being said, it could be a wire that has the shielding removed and touching the chassis and grounding out and it was just a coincidence that it happened when your bass touched something metal.

Call Carvin first and see if there is any warranty (i.e. transferable warranty) before I try to fix it. If not, pull it apart (or have someone else do it) and see if it's something simple to fix. Doing that can save you a lot of money.

When you put in the new fuses, do they blow again without the bass plugged in now? Or blow only when the bass is plugged in?

Like cornbread said, take it apart and have a look. There may be blackened or scorched marks around the problem area in the amp that would indicate a shorted component or wiring.

If you have time, order the schematics for that model. Sometimes the manufacturer will charge a small fee (around 5 bucks), or send them for free. This will help any tech out immensely.

Good luck.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Archived