Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pics of the new G&L

Geoff_Cousens

Admittedly, I am not much of a photographer, not owning a camera would seem to be a good indication. However, I did manage to snap a couple that weren't atrocious, though it does look much better in person.

My G&L L2000, built in Jan. 2003:

http://www.bassviews.com/perl/showimage.pl/76

http://www.bassviews.com/perl/showimage.pl/78

http://www.bassviews.com/perl/showimage.pl/77

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a beauty !! Nice finish work !!

Tell us more about how it feels and how it sounds.... Is it heavy? What do the knobs and switches do?

Thanks for the pics - they look great !!

I know you are enjoying that baby !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Sorry, have to post another that captures the high gloss finish, which proved to be more problematic than I had anticipated. I kept noticing this odd texture in the pictures, then I realized the stucco ceiling was reflecting off of the finish. Sorry for gobbling-up bandwith for my own gratification.

http://www.bassviews.com/perl/showimage.pl/79

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

What a beauty !! Nice finish work !!

Tell us more about how it feels and how it sounds.... Is it heavy? What do the knobs and switches do?

Thanks for the pics - they look great !!

I know you are enjoying that baby !!

Tom

Very light and well balanced, a true pleasure to play. You can dial-in a P or J sound with almost no effort at all. The pick-ups are extremely "hot", so rolling back on the volume is necessary. You can switch between active/or active with treble boost and passive, as well there is a series/parallel switch.

I am truly in love with some of the achieveable sounds that this bass can produce. I am waiting to slap on some T.I. Powerbass stings, which I'm sure will only increase my already ear-to-ear grin.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Geoff, could you please give me info about sustain from G&L?

One of my friend that is using Fender Jazz said that G&L 2000 lacks sustain, because of two piece neck, rather than one piece in Fender Jazz.

I personally don't agree, but since I don't have a G&L, how is your experience with it? Thanks a lot!

Tom, knobs configuration are like this from neck side to bridge side knobs:

Neck side:

Pickup selector (3 position mini switch) with details like this: forward - neck P/U, middle - both P/U, back - bridge P/U.

Volume control (dial knobs)

Center:

Series/Parallel switch (2 position mini switch) with details like this: forward - series (bass boost), back - parallel (bass cut).

Treble control (dial knobs)

Bridge side:

Active/Passive switch (3 position mini switch) with details like this: forward - preamp on with treble boost, middle - preamp on, back - passive mode, preamp off.

Bass control (dial knobs).

G&L is having quite versatile electronic configuration. You can compare it to Fender Roscoe Beck, though Roscoe Beck is not having pickup blend control.

I also heard electronic is quite noisy, but there are always noise gate..

Also my friend comment on sustain.. but that maybe different from one instrument to another.

Originally posted by davich:

Geoff, could you please give me info about sustain from G&L?

One of my friend that is using Fender Jazz said that G&L 2000 lacks sustain, because of two piece neck, rather than one piece in Fender Jazz.

I personally don't agree, but since I don't have a G&L, how is your experience with it? Thanks a lot!

Sorry man, as I don't have a Jazz, I can't truthfully juxtapose thier individual sustain characterics. However, I can say that I am pleased with the sustain that this L2K does offer.

Congratulations!!!! What a beauty!

And welcome to the underrated world of G&L's

As far as the sustain comments, I have an '85 ASAT with more sustain than anyone could possibly need. That's actually one of the first things I noticed about the bass. G&L basses also have a set screw in the side of their massive bridge that can be tightened in order to increase sustain by locking the saddles together and tighter with the bridge itself.

I personally don't use the set screw, but from comments posted elsewhere, this does increase sustain, but also increases "crosstalk" from a vibrating string transferring energy through the bridge and into a neighbor string (a little muting will cure this)

This isn't a big issue at all, just one little feature on a GREAT BASS. As I said, I don't use the set screw, and I still have sustain for days...

Enjoy that beautiful G&L.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Mr M--interesting. The world of G&L sounds more & more like a world I'd like. (But I'm not going to get to find out for a LONG time!) About crosstalk...I've noticed that on my Sterling fretless, there tends to be a *bit* more sympathetic string noise to deal with than usual. I suspect this is because the saddles butt right up against each other, so that you trade increased sustain for a little more noise; does that sound right? I've also noticed that with left-hand muting, playing ghost notes (muted with left hand), etc., I've got to be extra careful, because it likes to give off harmonics wherever you're touching the string if you're not actually pressing it to the board--I mean, more than on my other basses. Is this a fretless thing generally, or is it this type of bridge?

Sorry--I don't want to hijack! And I'll say it again, that is one SWEET G&L. Congrats, man! :thu:

Archived